Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Balloch Hotel(Balloch)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
6,181 results
All reviewscameron houseboat housethe grillvalet parkinggreat scots barcarrick spabeautiful hotelloch lomondmartin wishartsteakboathouse restaurantclaret jugceltic warriorleisure facilitiesafternoon teafirst classinfinity pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed here just before Christmas in 2008, it was meant to be the highlight of our holiday. However I think it is too large a hotel to offer something truly special.

We were upgraded to a suite on arrival which was appreciated (fantastic view of loch!), however found that some details were lacking. There was a golf putting machine which did not work, there was no milk or coffee pot. Also a small bottle of wine sat temptingly with two glasses on a tray, the price tag showed that this was for sale rather than complementary - if I had been the paying full price for the suite I would have expected this to be included!

The swimming complex is excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the water slide.

The bar was pricey although the service was polished. Breakfast was a busy affair, and we had already noticed signs the previous evening warning of peak breakfast times. We took the option of breakfast in the bar where a jazz band was playing. Service was slow and we did wonder whether we had been forgotten. There was a good choice of food and the quality was excellent.

Overall I'd like to go back but only if I get upgraded again!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank saraBelfast
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Although our room was well fitted out overall a disappointing stay with the exception of dinner in Martin Wisharts restaurant in the hotel which was excellent. Hotel seemed very busy ( large wedding on ) and breakfast was poor with the breakfast room rather scruffy and food OK for 3 star hotel only . Lovely spot however but wont be going back as expensive for standards we received in the hotel.

Reviewed June 18, 2009

We chose Cameron House to be the zenith in our tour of Scotland. The front of house staff, valet parking, doormen and reception were all doing a fine job. Our room had all the facilities we expected, having to request a bed turndown each evening was tedious and not what I am used to. The surroudings and view are truly Scotland.The catering was unfortunately lacking the care and attention one comes to expect from a 5 star hotel. We felt the layout of the main restaurant was akin to a mediocre canteen and serving staff lacked the training demanded from this style of dining. Having to wait some 20 minutes before being approached for your order to be taken, even for a drink. Then leaning across the diner to pour the wine and spilling it over the open menu is not right. Laying out butter knives on a side plate and clearing empty ajoining tables, then laying them for the following morning while you are sitting surrounded by your used plates shows a lack of understanding of priorities. There would also appear to be a lack of communication between restaurant and bar staff, tantamount to fraud. On two evenings my wife had a large glass of wine followed by a second, on the second evening I noticed that the second glass was a standard size as was the second glass on the previous evening. Upon checking the bill in the bar later, I realised that on both occasions large glasses had been charged for each time, the helpful bar steward corrected the mistake via the front desk, but it is something to be aware of when ordering. Overall it would appear there is something lacking in the refreshment department which detracts from the pleasures of being in such a wonderful building surrounded by such beautiful scenery.

2  Thank jetsaway
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I stayed here for a few nights in early June and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The facilities are excellent and the hotel has been greatly modernized since I stayed 5 years ago. We ate at the Martin Wishart restaurant which was excellent and the boathouse restaurant which is worth the short walk from the hotel for, it is also a much nicer place to have the breakfast.

My only minor quibbles would be that a Deluxe room doesn't feel that 'Deluxe' and the advertisement of 'Playstations (on request)' on the De Vere website isn't really true...but a lovely hotel in beautiful surroundings.

Worth a visit

1  Thank tf_81
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We went to cameron house under the impression it was a 5 star hotel i would struggle to give it 3 stars.From the moment we arrived we were met by a catalogue of errors as well as rude,unpleasant and inefficient staff.

1  Thank jokky