“Didn't want to go home!”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a two night break as a late anniversary present to ourselves. We had a fabulous time and didn't want to go home!

We arrived mid afternoon and check in was fast and very friendly. (Infact we found all the staff extremely polite and friendly) Our room was a standard room and was decorated beautifully. Yes, it was dark but we liked that. Lots of tartan, fluffy bathrobes, top notch bathroom with lovely toiletries.

The setting is beautiful and we enjoyed many walks around the hotel grounds and round Loch Lomond itself.

Food was lovely. Can't fault the breakfast in the Cameron Grill. We ate in Cameron Grill one night and over at the Baothouse at the Marina the other. Both meals were very nice.

We spent an afternoon at the Carrick Spa down the road which we thoroughly enjoyed, a bit pricey but very, very lovely - the oudoor hot tub overlooking Ben Lomond is unforgettable!

All in all, we had a wonderful experience and we would most definately return.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed for two nights on a B&B basis. Our room was located in the new Colquhon House extension.

Service: Check-in did not run smoothly and, despite arriving at 1530, we had to wait almost an hour for our room. On the plus side we did seem to get upgraded to a suite. Breakfast service in the Cameron Grill was fairly chaotic one day and staff had to be chased several times before orders were taken or delivered. Maids left the door to our room jammed open after one evening turndown. The fire alarm sounded briefly during one night with no explanation.

Room: We booked a standard room but were upgraded to a suite. The suite was an unusual "corridor" shape of five small connecting rooms. It had little natural light and was decorated mainly in shades of grey and biege with dark wood furniture (like the rest of the hotel), a tad dingy to be honest. Fittings and fixtures were excellent and the bed was enormous and very comfortable. There were four TVs in all - including a 50 inch plasma screen in an unusual smelling, suede lined TV lounge (honestly) - a bit excessive as there are only 11 channels available. Despite the undoubted quality of the fittings there were many annoying design flaws - only one bedside table and lamp, no door between the bathroom and the bedroom, poor lighting at the dressing table, the bath had nowhere to put your toiletries, open a wardrobe door and it blocked the bedroom door etc.

Food: The breakfast was excellent (service aside) and dinner in the Cameron Grill was very good (veggies beware though).

Location: Beautiful lochside location with many great walks, views etc. within a short drive.

Cleanliness: Excellent throughout - good work by the maids.

Value: It's not cheap but you (just about) get what you pay for.

I really wanted to love this place (as so many other reviewers seem to) but the lapses in service were disappointing for a five star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Just returned from my first visit to Cameron House, I will be returning again sometime soon.

Location - This hotel is set right on Loch Lomond in it's own grounds. The entrance to the hotel is lovely, very dark and luxurious. The log fire was burning in the hall way and the wood aroma was lovely. Check in was very good and quick.

Room - We were in a standard garden room, floor 2 to the back of the hotel in the extension to the main building. The room overlooked a grassy banking and was very quiet. The room was lovely as was the rest of the hotel, yes it is decorated in dark colours but it is beautiful. The room had a six foot bed, dressing table and leather chair, a bedside cabinet, 2 lovely armstairs, a small drinks table, 3 lamps, television in the wall oposite your bed and a massive mirror in the recess. There was tea/coffee making facilities with fresh coffee which were replenished each day, and milk in the fridge. The wardrobe area was spacious, there was also a safe inside the wardrobe which was free of charge, you have to pay around 7 euros a week at least abroad. There was also an ironing board/iron.

Bathroom - Had under floor heating, the centre of the mirror was also heated so it did not get steamed up. There was lovely L'Occitane soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion, yours to take home. I loved the decor of the room, everything went well with each other. The only down side to the room was you had to pull the door to to shut it when leaving and it made quiet a loud banging noise which you could hear when other people were leaving their rooms, there is no way of closing the door without banging it to, sorry......

Pool - The swimming pool area had just closed as we arrived for it's refurbishment which we were advised about when we booked, this did not affect us as we would not be using it anyway but on check in the receptionist gave us a list of other pools in the area which we could have used if we wanted to. We went to see the pool area and I must say it looked lovely as it was so it will be fantastic once it has been up-graded.

Restaurant - We had breakfast in the Cameron Grill each day. It has an open cooking area where you can see the chefs working. As soon as we were seated the waiter/waitress came to ask if we wanted tea/coffee and came back within a few minutes with this and toast. Marmalade etc was already on the table, you can help yourself to continential breakfast, fruit juices, cereals etc, then you can order a cooked breafast for afters. I had a mushroom omlette each day, it was freshly cooked and very good. You could have salmon and scrambled eggs, kippers etc, there is plenty of choice, no need to go hungry.

The Cameron Grill is also used for evening meals, and is always better to book early to get the sitting you want. We also ate at the Claret Jug which is about 1 mile up the road. The concierge took us and brought us back in the company car. The seating arrangements in the Claret Jug are mostly the same as the Cameron Grill, you have long leather seating to one side and individual chairs on the other. There is also the Boat House which is in the grounds of Cameron House, about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and the Lomond Restaurant which we did not try. We had meat pie in the Claret Jug, I found the meat to be a bit tough for my liking but my husband enjoyed his meal. In the Cameron Grill I had pork chop which came on a wooden board, it was lovely and tender and I enjoyed this meal.

There is various places to sit in the hotel and just relax, like the Famous Scots Bar which has pictures of famous Scots! and there is another bar near the reception area.

Staff - All the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. I know from experience that the prices for this hotel can be very expensive, but if you can get a good deal then its well worth the trip.

We also ate in the restaurant attached to the hotel round the corner to Cameron Hotel called Ducks Bay, the food was lovely and made a nice change, the setting is also right on Loch Lomond and when the weather is fine you can eat out on the terrace.

All in all a very nice relaxing break even if it rained most of the time we were there. The hotel, staff and the scenery made up for the poor weather. We will definitely be going back to bonny Scotland (soon).

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkshirelas
Reviewed September 12, 2008

I recently sayed at this hotel with my boyfriend and could not fault anything about our stay. The reception area is stunning as was our room and all the staff were excellent. It is expensive but what do you expect in a 5 star hotel with 5 star standards? We ate dinner at the Grill which had a lovely atmosphere and the food was excellent. Breakfast was also very nice with lots of choice. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will definately return.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Simply the best place to be if you want full comfort, great food, superb facilities, great staff, lovely views and more. A shining example out of the De Vere folio of hotels.
I am not often a gushy person but this was worth a gush.

Reviewed August 22, 2008

We decided to stay overnight to meet and conclude a deal. The wives spent the afternoon at the Spa which they agreed was wonderful -one of the best they had been to. Myself and client took to the Scots bar for the afternoon which was sufficiently private for discussions, and we had an enjoyable snack and drinks over our meeting.

The rooms have been recently done up and are of decent size, but a bit gloomy overlooking the loch as they are east facing. Plenty of goodies and a Bose docking station - v impressive. Overall satisfactory and above average.

We avoided the Lomond restaurant for dinner as we considered the menu to be a little pretentious and possible this was a mistake. We ate in the Grill and arrived at 8.20 and were shown to a table right at the door depite having booked. After 20 minutes I had to ask the Maitre d to arrange drinks. Champagne duly arrived and our dinner order was taken.

We got the starter quite quickly but then had to chase staff 3 times before having the main course arrive around 10.00 p.m. Staff were apologetic. The food was excellent and our steaks were as good as they come. While the delivery of service was OK, it appeared there were too few staff and to someone untrained in dining room management, little management and direction of the waiting staff.

Breakfast in the morning was even worse. We had to wait agin for 20 minutes to get coffee and had to ask twice. Our client's wife was off again to the spa and we kept having to chase to get the order taken to let her get away on time. When the food arrived it was very good but round about us I noticed a lot of people complaining over various matters. The table next to us got offered a cooked breakfast 3 times he had not ordered but kept having to ask for more coffee which he had requested. Once again there were too few staff and all running about like headless chooks although doing their best. There appeared to be absolutely no organisation in the restaurant with staff unclear who had ordered what.

Overall we did enjoy our stay, but this hotel purports to be 5 star. At these prices you expect equivalent service and while it did not ruin our business/pleasure break, the poor quality of dining service and roganisation did detract from it and the hotel really must address this issue.

Would we return - perhaps!

2  Thank Craig J
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed overnight at Cameron House as a result of a work team building/away day. When we arrived at the hotel the reception staff were not helpful at all. We were told that some of our rooms were ready but others were not. There was absolutely no attempt made to advise my colleagues whose rooms were not ready when they might expect their rooms to be available and no information was given as to where bags could be stored in the meantime.

The meeting room that we were put into was well below what I would have expected from a 5 star hotel. The meeting room was downstairs from the main reception and the room and corridor leading into it, on first impression, was shabby to say the least. This was not helped by the fact that we had to squeeze past an electrician (walking single file) who was standing on the stairs repairing the lights).

Lunch was very pleasant although service was terrible. Sandwiches were sitting out on the tables awaiting our return to the restaurant, however, we had to wait ages for the waiter to come to the table to take drinks orders and to bring the pre-ordered soup. Surprising given the fact that we were the only people in the restaurant!

The bedroom that I stayed in was very nice and very tastefully decorated. The Boathouse Restaurant has apparently just opened up and is beautiful inside. Lovely surroundings with great view looking out on to the loch. Food was delicious. However, all of this was also somewhat let down by the hit or miss service which everyone in our party commented upon.

If it were not for what has happened following my departure from the hotel I would have been willing to overlook all of the above and would probably have marked the hotel considerably higher. I forgot to pack my coat when I left the hotel and only realised this once I had returned home on the day of my departure. I contacted the hotel and was told that they would check and come back to me. To cut a long story short I never received any phone calls from the hotel and had to call them at least 5 times within the week following my departure to confirm whether my coat was there - they couldn't tell me because housekeeping were not there, the manager wasn't there, no-one had a key to the lost property room etc etc. The attitude of the staff I have spoken with has been appalling. I have also now been told that my coat is not there and there is nothing more that the hotel is going to do about this. I will be writing a severe letter to the hotel's head office and also reporting this matter to the police as there is obviously a theft problem within the hotel. So my advice to anyone staying here is - be careful with your possessions!

5  Thank PrincessScotland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
No photo provided
Cameron House
#4 of 4 in Alexandria
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!