“PRE-XMAS GETAWAY”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We decided to escape and chill out for an evening and visited Cameron House, one of our favourite places. The welcome at reception could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Our room was spacious with a terrific view - even on a wet day in December. We were very lucky, as we managed to coincide the break with the Cameron House Xmas Market. It was completely different from any Xmas Market I have ever attended - superb from start to finish. We were offered lovely mulled wine and tasty xmas mince pies when we walked into the event room. The Executive chef and Pastry Chef were on hand to show us how to produce a top class Xmas Dinner - they made it look so easy. The turkey and potatoes looked picture perfect and 'sugar modelling' and Xmas Cake works of art. The wine tasting was informative and professional. We were even shown how to lay the traditional table, fold napkins and serve correctly. The Spa and Golf team, too, were on hand to advise on possible gifts and the floral arrangements just beautiful. One of the delightful aspects of the evening was there was absolutely no 'pressure selling'. We had such a fun evening. Breakfast, next day, was an experience, with a fantastic selection. Relaxing, looking out over Loch Lomond totally recharged our batteries. Every member of the Cameron House Team we met on our visit were so friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Simply advise of your preferences in advance. We found they did try to oblige.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,172)

Reviewed January 8, 2012

The staff were friendly enough which is a good start but we had to walk a fair distance due to very poor parking facilities. My room had a strong smell of smoke which my partner hates. Also there were various stains on the carpet. The breakfast was nice tho. I just feel for a hotel with such a reputation I was let down. Also the facilities for smokers were absolutely terrible,there is basically the main door with no shelter,for me to go for s cigarette it basically took 10 mins to get there and 10 mins back. Surely the money spent on this hotel better facilities could be installed

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank anydustybins
CameronHouseLL, General Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your praise of our friendly team, and the breakfast experience offered. I do wish that you had taken advantage of the courtesy valet parking that we offer to avoid you having to walk such a long distance to your car.
Please be advised that we are a smoke free resort, but do accommodate for smokers with the provision of three smoking areas around the resort.
I do hope you return to stay with us again as I would very much like to welcome you and your partner back to Cameron,

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We arrived for a stay from 5-6th January to celebrate my birthday and our engagement . On Thursday we could only book the Boathouse for our meal . However it was good and the service there was also good.
Later we went to the Great Scots Bar - a stunning space with hopeless service . The staff were playing , yes playing, behind the bar and when scanning the room for clients seemed blind to requests for service. It wasn't even that busy . Staff when they did serve seemed untrained and inarticulate .
The following day we returned to this bar at around 4 pm and the service was exemplary . Such disparity is surprising in a supposed 5 star hotel.
Later we dined at the Cameron Grill . This was a depressing experience from start to finish. The oyster starter arrive reasonably promptly but without the Tabasco sauce I'd requested. The bed of ice was already half melted suggesting they'd been sitting around at room temperature for a time. Our mains arrived and my lemon sole , seafood mousse and oyster sauce was totally crusted and dried out from sitting under lights at the pass . My partners pepper jus had skin on it from sitting there too. I returned my fish assured that it'd be five minutes for a new portion . At 10pm after asking again where my food was the dish arrived . Presentation -zero. No seafood mousse or oyster sauce . Uncooked broccoli . On uncurling the lemon sole to eat it I found that it was totally raw on the inside but appeared cooked on the outside twirl rather than poached as detailed. It went back too and all notion of dinner left me at that point. We did have a dessert though just to get the " celebration " feeling back. A drambuie night cap and off to bed underwhelmed. We complained but felt unconvinced that this was taken seriously by staff although our puddings weren't charged on our bill - wow!
At five in the morning we both awoke and were horrifically sick turn- about for many hours and couldn't leave the bedroom to check out at eleven . They were good in that we were left to check out later in the day . However the Beverages and Food manager who spoke with us on leaving was very condescending and stated that it couldn't be food poisoning as it takes 17 hours to kick in ! He stated that the oysters were delivered fresh on Thursday . Surely fish should be fresh daily in a 5 star hotel ?
Overall a very poor show from their main restaurant and some very poor/ patchy service.
Oh and don't expect wifi in rooms if you have an iPad or iPhone ... That doesn't work .
At home now, exhausted.
We have sent an email today and await a response.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claricedarrow

Thank you for your feedback. I am incredibly sorry to learn that your recent stay to celebrate your birthday and engagement was such a disappointing one. Please be assured that you will shortly receive a response to your email from a member of the team at Cameron, and a private message has also been sent to you with the contact details of a representative from the resort should you wish to speak to a member of our team directly,

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We went to Cameron House between xmas and new year as a family of 5 and had a great time

The hotel facilities and setting are wonderful as others have said but there is more to this hotel than that. We stayed in a family room which is fantastic, my kids didn't want to leave as they loved their little bunk bed "den"

We ate in both restaurants and had really good food in each. Yes this is not a cheap hotel but it's not as bad as some reviewers have said, you just need to have some common sense. Also you are paying for the superb facilities offered by the hotel and the high quality staff.

I do have some minor gripes, we had towait until well after 3pm to check in to our room which after a very long drive was disappointing. Others have mentioned this and I think When you are paying this much for a room I want to enjoy it as much as I can particularly when asked to check out by 11.

Also the main swimming pool has a number of long "adult" only sessions during the week which meant my children could not swim for much of the day. The hotel management will say that there is a kids pool but that is really only for very small kids, mine are very accomplished swimmers. I certainly think this rule should be suspended during holiday periods when the hotel is full of kids. The weather was awful when we were there so the pool was well used and it felt wrong to have 30+ people crammed into the kids pool whilst the larger pool was virtually empty.

Minor niggles apart great hotel and hope to go back soon

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to spend the festive season at Cameron with your family! I am delighted that the children loved the bunk beds, and television in their special area of the family room. I also really appreciate your terrific praise of our Cameron Grill and Boathouse restaurants, the facilities available around the resort, and most importantly the standard of the team we have here.
I apologise that the early check in was not available, as the resort is incredibly busy during the festive season, and hope that this did not detract from your stay overall. I do appreciate your feedback regarding the leisure facilities we have for children, and please be assured that this will be taken on board for consideration to improve the experience delivered to families.
I do wish you all the best for the forthcoming year, and hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future,

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed in this beautiful property for one night and recieved absolutely fantastic serivice. Alan, Gabrielle and Jack couldn't have done enough for us... Fantastic family room and lovely decor! Oysters in the boat house are a must

• Stayed: January 2012

A huge thank you for your review. Alan, Gabi, and Jack are each a tremendous credit to Cameron, and I sincerely appreciate your lovely acknowledgement of the member of our team that helped make your stay so memorable. Thank you also for your recommendation of our family rooms, décor, and the delicious Oysters in our Boathouse restaurant.
I hope to welcome you and your family back in the very near future!

Reviewed January 6, 2012

My boyfriend took me here as a suprise and i was blown away by pulling up and the car being parked for us to the service at the front desk and being welcomed by the bag pipes... we got everthing hand carried up to the room by a lovely scouse gentleman who couldnt do more for us.. i was blown away with the suite and everthing in it.. then we stepped out on the balcony and go the most incredible view ever.... all this was perfect enough with the hand made choc and hand written welcome card addressed to us and then my boyf got down on one knee and proposed... it was truley the most romantic place he could have done it... i loved the whole expereince and would recommend to everyone to experience this.....

Room Tip: You get good deals so watch out for them...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Se_Lou_0

A huge congratulations on your recent engagement! It is wonderful to learn that Cameron was the perfect destination for your partner to propose (and also ideal for a wedding), and thank you for conveying such an idyllic picture of the setting, from the Scottish piper at the entrance to the stunning view from the balcony of your executive suite! I am also delighted to learn that you were so well looked after by our Chief Concierge Alan, who also offers his congratulations.
Thank you for your review, and I would be delighted to welcome you back …

Reviewed January 6, 2012

We have been using the dependencies of Cameron house for a couple of years now inviting our customers to join us for diner once a year. The service at Cameron house only gets better! Superbly decorated, friendly and very helpful staff. Every year our guests are extremely happy with the choice of venue. If you are looking for a five stars place to hold a party this is it!

Room Tip: get the lake front!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

A huge thank you for your review. I am genuinely delighted to learn that we have proven to be such a great resort for you to entertain your important clients, and really do appreciate you bringing these valued guests to Cameron. It is tremendous to learn that you find our hotel interior to be so well upholstered, and even better to discover that the friendly helpful nature of our team contributes to Cameron being your choice of venue each year (and that you find the level of service delivered from our team to be continually enhancing).
I hope to welcome you and your clients back in the New Year, and wish you all the very best,

John Keating

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
Travelodge Dumbarton
Travelodge Dumbarton
#2 of 4 in Dumbarton

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!