“Disgusted, upset and offended!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alexandria
Albannach Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Alexandria B&B and Inns
UK
“Disgusted, upset and offended!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I really don't know where to start with this...firstly I would urge anyone who is looking to stay here to research the area first as you are surrounded by boarded up houses and derelict properties which is not shown in the pictures or mentioned in the write up. It's certainly not what we expected when booking a stay in Loch Lomond. My fiance and I had booked this trip with our two children, aged 17 months and four years to celebrate our daughters 5th birthday, so we really wanted it to be a special trip. Other members of our family were joining us but they had booked to stay in Balmaha. When we arrived at Albannach we realised that admittedley, it was our error and due to our busy working lifestyles we hadn't researched enough on the area and also the distance that we were from our families., and with it being our daughters birthday the following day we wanted to be nearer our family. My fiance went to speak with Jim to explain our situation and see if there was some arrangement we could come to as we knew this would inconvenience them. Initially Jim seemed very understanding and agreed that we would stay one night then the following morning we would leave to find alternative accommodation. My fiance informed me of his decision so I returned into the building with my two children only to be met by a very irate Margaret who clearly didn't agree with Jim's decision. Very quickly the conversation became heated, after informing us that the commute to Balmaha was 'only 30 minutes and why didn't we just drive it daily' (amongst many other things). I explained it was too far for us to commute daily with the children and inconvenient she started insisting that we should pay for 3 nights but leave the premises immediately (to which Jim then agreed). When I asked him why he had suddendly changed his mind after agreeing with my fiance about the one night stay he said they would be out of pocket. I explained that we could not afford to pay for 3 nights and then have to pay for 3 nights elsewhere. Margaret's reply to this was 'that's not our problem, we are going to be out of pocket and we are going to take 3 nights payment off your card, if we sell the room you can have a refund' (as they had my card details) I explained that we would stay one night, obviously pay, then leave the following day to which she replied 'you will not stay, you will pay and you will leave'. Can I just stress that all this was happening infront of my children who were tired from the long journey, hungry and very upset (both of them were in tears) because both Jim and Margaret were raising their voices by this point. Margaret then pointed to both of my children and said that I was setting a bad example to them and teaching them really bad ethics!!. How dare she comment on anything but the situation at hand and pass judgement on me as a mother! To resolve the situation quickly, as my fiance and I are reasonable people and realise it was our fault that Jim and Margaret were going to be out of pocket, and to be honest, I wanted to get my children out of that situation as quickly as possible so I could comfort them, we just paid them for a night and left. (but again bear in mind we had two very young children with us, late in the evening an no-where to go thanks to Jim and Margaret!!) Other issues with this booking are that when I made it the confirmation page said that the total cost of our stay would be £90 yet when I questioned this with Jim when he charged us £65 per night , he said 'well that must have been per person or something' I'm no mathmatician but those sums certainly don't ad up!! There's alot more I could add to this review but think I will end it here. I am disgusted, upset and deeply offended by how we, and especially my children were treated by Jim and Margaret and I'm sure all the good reviews are true, I can only imagine they didn't need to re-arrange their bookings as it seems if you do, they are totally different people!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank EmaRUk
jimandmags, Owner at Albannach Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Firstly, we are not “surrounded by boarded up houses and derelict properties” a fact easily checked by viewing our location on Google Earth.
Secondly, the lady reviewer made a booking for three nights and requested early access (11am) to the room. The family arrived at 5pm.
They then asked to cancel their booking without making any payment. I refused stating that as per our cancellation agreement we would take payment for one night only.
The lady became very irate, her partner apologised, paid and they left.
The lady then left a vitriolic review.

We really do try and accommodate our guests as best we can and I think the other reviews we have received indicate this.
In six years we have received only 2 negative reviews on Trip Advisor, neither of which was from people who actually stayed with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed just one night, on our way north. Jim & Margaret were very welcoming, and were very helpful advising us where to eat. The room was spacious and comfortable - I did wonder whether we would be disturbed by traffic noise, but we slept well. We would certainly stop here again.

1 Thank SueRW
Mold
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Jim and Margaret are the consummate hosts! They were relaxed, charming and nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in Room 4 which was a good size and spotlessly clean with a comfy bed. Jim informed us of the local restaurants and places to visit and suggested places to travel on to next, as we were on a touring holiday. Margaret cooks a hearty tasty breakfast which we thoroughly enjoyed and which set us up for the day. We can highly recommend this bed & breakfast, you won't be disappointed!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We consider ourselves very lucky to have stumbled across such a wonderful bed and breakfast. Jim and Margaret were so welcoming and helpful throughout our four night stay with our dog. The room was very spacious with everything you could need and a lovely en suite and a very very comfortable bed. We chose this B&B out of the several options available near Loch Lomond based on the brilliant reviews- and they are well deserved brilliant reviews. A great base to explore all the wonderful sites near by and Jim and Margaret were even happy to dog sit our lazy dog so we could have a day out to Dundee. Thank you again for such a great stay and all the amazing full Scottish breakfasts. Fully recommend to everybody.

Manchester
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We enjoyed a 4 night stay at the Albannach in Alexandria. Jim & Margaret are wonderful hosts who include friendliness as standard. The room was extremely comfortable, well cared for and included a very elegant bathroom with very 'up-market' towels. Breakfast was excellent, offering a great deal of choice and very good service. Staying in a B&B which is also someone's house does deliver a degree of personal service which you never get in a large hotel and the Albannach gave us this to a high degree. Jim even provided a ride from and to the station at Alexandria. The location is lovely and we were able to get about using public transport very easily. Would recommend to anyone

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

we really enjoyed our weekend break in this lovely friendly and so clean B&B . jim and margaret were so nice and sid the dog says thanks for the attention they gave to him too . would recommend to all my family and friends as we couldnt fault the accommodation and the breakfast so good and we will definately be back plus the scenery is second to none .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Wonderful bed and breakfast - cannot commend enough. The room facilities are second to none. Clean, modern and well appointed including WiFi!, Jim and Margaret are the perfect hosts. Welcoming and standards excell expectation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#1 of 24 in Balloch
Ardoch Cottage
Ardoch Cottage
#2 of 2 in Gartocharn

Been to Albannach Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!