“Lovely”

Rarotonga Beach Bungalows
“Lovely”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were so looking forward to our stay here last week and it did not disappoint - in fact, it exceeded expectations. We stayed in a beach front bungalow - it was so comfortable and spacious, and well appointed.

Thank you very much to all the staff for going out of their way to make it a lovely holiday. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic, quiet time away.

Check Internet deals - there are some good ones out there. Car hire is not expensive and is worth while. The Sands restaurant next door was great and has a live band on Mondays. But the bungalow kitchen has everything you need to cook for yourself and enjoy your dinner on your spacious deck or even on the beach itself. Internet is available in the office but who wants to be on the net when you're on a romantic beach holiday. Facebook can wait.

Room Tip: Beach front bungalows are worth the extra fee
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Neites

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Auck
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stained bedsheets and pillows, cockroaches parading through the bungalow all night long, no internet in sight, and a staff with a serious attitude problem. The owner was absent, but from what other reviews suggest, that may have actually been a good thing. Seems like this place has been sliding downhill for a bit.

Would not recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank anon y
Twizel
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The reservation process was efficient and great communications with Mary who arranged airport transfers etc. We were greeted on arrival by the very friendly Aunty Lucky, overall we found the ladies who prepared breakfast and serviced our bungalow to be very good. Our beach front bungalow was exactly what we were looking for when seaching accommodation options in Rarotonga. Despite the effort the ladies working here put in to keeping this place very clean and tidy, its unlikely we would stay here again, we spent some time looking at other properties in Rarotonga and feel for simular money we could do better. There was a constant strong easterly wind the whole week, whilst the snorkelling was excellent, the wind made conditions in the lagoon difficult, we rode our scooter to find more sheltered lagoon. Our deck and outdoor area were awesome but the strong wind meant we couldnt use these areas often. The bungalow itself whilst clean had several maintenance issues, lights not working, broken louvres, bedroom fan only working on high speed etc. The mattress on the bed was one of those cheap hard foam things, uncomfortable and sweaty. There are very few dining/activity options within walking distance, if your staying for more than a couple of days, hiring a car or scooter is pretty much essential, taking all this into account, this facility is over-priced. The owner needs to invest in some basic maintenance and improvements or lower the prices then take all the lovely ladies that work here out to dinner! We loved our week in Raro and will be back.

Room Tip: beach front has fantastic views but suffers from the wind
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Highlander65
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was the second time we have stayed here and it did not disappoint.
We stayed in a villa on the beach and it was fantastic.
Lucky and her lovely ladies really looked after my wife and myself.
We will be back.
Thanks guys.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank billpears
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed 4 days recently and have to say although the units were quite nice, and the location is perfect, the owner is rude and obviously in the wrong job as he doesn't seem to actually care about his guests at all.The staff (locals) were lovely and made up for the owner in a lot of ways.The hot water kept running out, the radio didn't work and the fridge made crazy loud noises that woke you up in the night. The breakfasts were just basic/ok but the cona coffee was a ghastly tasting very strong Vanilla flavour every day and not drinkable. Love Raro but will not go back to that resort again. Carol.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
19 Thank charcaro
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Looking forward to our 10-day Cook Island holiday, my husband selected the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows, which, although expensive, are indeed located in a very picturesque and beautiful setting, right on lovely Titikaveka Beach. The accommodation is slightly tired, the living room furniture uncomfortable, the hot water only lukewarm, the radios don’t work and the fridge makes an awfully loud rattle intermittently day and night – at least in Onu bungalow – and the communal washing machine was on the blink. But the local Rarotongan staff are warm, friendly and welcoming, as are most Cook Islanders. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the resort’s owner, Tom Fearon. In the early hours of Monday, 06 August 2012, my husband suffered a fatal myocardial infarction while we were staying in Onu bungalow at this resort. What was a dreadful and terribly panicky and sad occasion for me was made so much worse by the unfeeling, cruel, inconsiderate, unhelpful Mr Fearon. When I alerted the resident hostess, Luckey, around 3.30am, who then alerted Mr Fearon, asking for help because I thought my husband was dead and that I could not turn him over as he was face-down on the bed, Mr Fearon’s response to me was, “I’m not medically trained. I can’t help you.” I was totally stunned by his reaction to my request for assistance. I had called an ambulance, which had not arrived, and Mr Fearon said he would check on that instead of coming into our bungalow to help me try and turn my husband onto his back so that I could attempt to resuscitate him. He left me standing outside the bungalow in the middle of the night, not knowing what to do. Thankfully, Luckey was kind enough to stay with me until help arrived - unfortunately way too late.

Although Mr Fearon allowed me to make some calls home and to use the internet in the office (free internet access was part of our package) and he also photocopied and faxed some documents for me that were required by the travel insurance company, he was consistently unhelpful and unfeeling when any other requests were made of him. On my final day in Rarotonga, when I was at last able to take my husband home, Mr Fearon, while onsite in his accommodation, refused to open the office in the middle of a weekday afternoon for me so that my air tickets could be emailed through. Instead, I had to ask that they be sent to the local undertaker.

Mr Fearon may be all charm when he wants to be, but don’t ask him to go out of his way.

Thank you Luckey, Miriama, Mary and Jacqueline for your kindness. Luckey for staying with me and being so supportive and for the shell necklace, one for each of us, you gave me when I left. Jacqueline for the hibiscus flower you were wearing in your hair and which you gave to me with your sympathy. Miriama for your hugs. And to the lovely couple from Auckland in the bungalow next door who popped in to check on me and give me hugs several times. Also the young Australian couple in the bungalow behind who left flowers and chocolate at my door. It helped a lot.

Meryl Reardon

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank Meryl R
, Manager at Rarotonga Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Mrs.Readon--

After being in business in the Cook Islands for almost 10 years this coming December, I have never felt the need to reply to any Trip Advisor comments before the unfair and undeserved review you have recently posted--- addressed basically to me--on Trip Advisor. There are always two sides to a story.

It is true that you awakened Luckey and myself at approximately 3:30 am in the night (morning) of your husband's seisure. Both Luckey and I immediately came down and accompanied you to your bungalow. You stated to me outside the bungalow that you wanted us to 'turn' him. Before going inside, I admit that I did make the remark that I was not 'medically trained' and I determined that my participation may or might have caused more complications rather than help. Which way is the correct way to turn him? I am not competent in this area. I was unsure --so I went to the office and telephoned a nearby relative practiced in Red Cross CPR. I felt that this was more important and apppropiate to get it right than my making a error. I also telephoned the hospital again to hopefully speed up the ambulance arrival. The relative arrived within 15-20 minutes and attended to your husband with professional CPR. Then, the ambulance arrived shortly afterward with the emergency gear. Unfortunatley all efforts were too late.

After the passing, I helped organize the doctor to come for the death certificate--then get the coroner notified--and I then personnally testified for the police reports in our office at 4-5 am.

A couple of hours later that morning, you came to the office and asked to use office business telephone to call the UK and NZ to advise the family of the death. We happily participated in this effort and subsequent fax reports-- at no charge to you-- as it appeared you were too cheap to purchase a Telecom prepaid card Also, the resort arranged a nightime airport transport for your sister-- a few days later-- and you refused even to pay that transfer. You acted like it was natural that this was our charge!

Not once did the words 'THANK YOU come out of your mouth to me for the FREE telephone calls and faxes, my administrative efforts, local help(CPR contact), complimentary sister accommodation, and other services we provided.

I find your remarks EXTREMELY UNGRATEFUL and unfair for the EXTRA time and efforts my staff and I provided during this difficult time. Of the 89 Trip Advisor reviews that have been posted about this small resort, only 3-5 have been NOT 100% positive. Your unwelcome review needs to be answered so the other viewers of this page can be the judge.

Tom Fearon
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Rarotonga Beach Bungalows met and exceeded the expectations we had after reading the reviews. First of all we were warmly greeted by Luckey who showed us to our bungalow and Tom himself was waiting for us AT the bungalow to say hello and welcome us as well. Right away they both made us feel so relaxed and comfortable. Tom has not left a detail undone with either the bungalow or the entire resort itself. There was nothing more we could have asked for. The super clean bungalows decor was so beautiful and charming, the way weI would do it (if we had a beach bungalow!). We asked for the best location when booking and felt we got it with our bungalow called "Ature". Room service was done discreetly while we were at breakfast with fresh sheets and towels every day!! None of the "if you want to use it again hang it up". True luxury!! Breakfast was bountiful and satisfying. The selection of breads and fruits was something to look forward to everyday and the coffee from Hawaii was delicious as well. It was really nice that Tom and Luckey would sit and join us for coffee and converstion in the mornings, making it feel as if we were visiting with friends in their home. Tom could not have selected a better location for his place. The beauty of the lagoon was so mesmerizing we could hardly take our eyes off it. Tom encouraged us to take our beach table and cairs right down to the water for coffee or evening cocktails, but we didn't get to do that. We were able to get both sunrise and sunset photos just by walking a short distance either direction. What a treat to snorkel right in front of our place, or take the kayaks out a little farther and snorkel by the reef. The abundance of fish was amazing, some of the best snorkeling we've had. we cannot say enough good about RRB and the whole staff. Everyone smiling and friendly and Mary was so helpful in making sure all our fight confirnations were is order. They even let us stay until it was time for our flight to Aitutaki. We will definitely be back feeling as if we are coming back to visit old friends. We thank all of them for their warm hospitality.

Room Tip: Ature is the best location
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titikaveka
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
Little Polynesian Resort
Little Polynesian Resort
#1 of 2 in Titikaveka
Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa

Been to Rarotonga Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!