“Rarotonga Beach Bungalows”

Rarotonga Beach Bungalows
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Rarotonga Beach Bungalows”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Looking forward to our 10-day Cook Island holiday, my husband selected the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows, which, although expensive, are indeed located in a very picturesque and beautiful setting, right on lovely Titikaveka Beach. The accommodation is slightly tired, the living room furniture uncomfortable, the hot water only lukewarm, the radios don’t work and the fridge makes an awfully loud rattle intermittently day and night – at least in Onu bungalow – and the communal washing machine was on the blink. But the local Rarotongan staff are warm, friendly and welcoming, as are most Cook Islanders. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the resort’s owner, Tom Fearon. In the early hours of Monday, 06 August 2012, my husband suffered a fatal myocardial infarction while we were staying in Onu bungalow at this resort. What was a dreadful and terribly panicky and sad occasion for me was made so much worse by the unfeeling, cruel, inconsiderate, unhelpful Mr Fearon. When I alerted the resident hostess, Luckey, around 3.30am, who then alerted Mr Fearon, asking for help because I thought my husband was dead and that I could not turn him over as he was face-down on the bed, Mr Fearon’s response to me was, “I’m not medically trained. I can’t help you.” I was totally stunned by his reaction to my request for assistance. I had called an ambulance, which had not arrived, and Mr Fearon said he would check on that instead of coming into our bungalow to help me try and turn my husband onto his back so that I could attempt to resuscitate him. He left me standing outside the bungalow in the middle of the night, not knowing what to do. Thankfully, Luckey was kind enough to stay with me until help arrived - unfortunately way too late.

Although Mr Fearon allowed me to make some calls home and to use the internet in the office (free internet access was part of our package) and he also photocopied and faxed some documents for me that were required by the travel insurance company, he was consistently unhelpful and unfeeling when any other requests were made of him. On my final day in Rarotonga, when I was at last able to take my husband home, Mr Fearon, while onsite in his accommodation, refused to open the office in the middle of a weekday afternoon for me so that my air tickets could be emailed through. Instead, I had to ask that they be sent to the local undertaker.

Mr Fearon may be all charm when he wants to be, but don’t ask him to go out of his way.

Thank you Luckey, Miriama, Mary and Jacqueline for your kindness. Luckey for staying with me and being so supportive and for the shell necklace, one for each of us, you gave me when I left. Jacqueline for the hibiscus flower you were wearing in your hair and which you gave to me with your sympathy. Miriama for your hugs. And to the lovely couple from Auckland in the bungalow next door who popped in to check on me and give me hugs several times. Also the young Australian couple in the bungalow behind who left flowers and chocolate at my door. It helped a lot.

Meryl Reardon

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank Meryl R
, Manager at Rarotonga Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Mrs.Readon--

After being in business in the Cook Islands for almost 10 years this coming December, I have never felt the need to reply to any Trip Advisor comments before the unfair and undeserved review you have recently posted--- addressed basically to me--on Trip Advisor. There are always two sides to a story.

It is true that you awakened Luckey and myself at approximately 3:30 am in the night (morning) of your husband's seisure. Both Luckey and I immediately came down and accompanied you to your bungalow. You stated to me outside the bungalow that you wanted us to 'turn' him. Before going inside, I admit that I did make the remark that I was not 'medically trained' and I determined that my participation may or might have caused more complications rather than help. Which way is the correct way to turn him? I am not competent in this area. I was unsure --so I went to the office and telephoned a nearby relative practiced in Red Cross CPR. I felt that this was more important and apppropiate to get it right than my making a error. I also telephoned the hospital again to hopefully speed up the ambulance arrival. The relative arrived within 15-20 minutes and attended to your husband with professional CPR. Then, the ambulance arrived shortly afterward with the emergency gear. Unfortunatley all efforts were too late.

After the passing, I helped organize the doctor to come for the death certificate--then get the coroner notified--and I then personnally testified for the police reports in our office at 4-5 am.

A couple of hours later that morning, you came to the office and asked to use office business telephone to call the UK and NZ to advise the family of the death. We happily participated in this effort and subsequent fax reports-- at no charge to you-- as it appeared you were too cheap to purchase a Telecom prepaid card Also, the resort arranged a nightime airport transport for your sister-- a few days later-- and you refused even to pay that transfer. You acted like it was natural that this was our charge!

Not once did the words 'THANK YOU come out of your mouth to me for the FREE telephone calls and faxes, my administrative efforts, local help(CPR contact), complimentary sister accommodation, and other services we provided.

I find your remarks EXTREMELY UNGRATEFUL and unfair for the EXTRA time and efforts my staff and I provided during this difficult time. Of the 89 Trip Advisor reviews that have been posted about this small resort, only 3-5 have been NOT 100% positive. Your unwelcome review needs to be answered so the other viewers of this page can be the judge.

Tom Fearon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Rarotonga Beach Bungalows met and exceeded the expectations we had after reading the reviews. First of all we were warmly greeted by Luckey who showed us to our bungalow and Tom himself was waiting for us AT the bungalow to say hello and welcome us as well. Right away they both made us feel so relaxed and comfortable. Tom has not left a detail undone with either the bungalow or the entire resort itself. There was nothing more we could have asked for. The super clean bungalows decor was so beautiful and charming, the way weI would do it (if we had a beach bungalow!). We asked for the best location when booking and felt we got it with our bungalow called "Ature". Room service was done discreetly while we were at breakfast with fresh sheets and towels every day!! None of the "if you want to use it again hang it up". True luxury!! Breakfast was bountiful and satisfying. The selection of breads and fruits was something to look forward to everyday and the coffee from Hawaii was delicious as well. It was really nice that Tom and Luckey would sit and join us for coffee and converstion in the mornings, making it feel as if we were visiting with friends in their home. Tom could not have selected a better location for his place. The beauty of the lagoon was so mesmerizing we could hardly take our eyes off it. Tom encouraged us to take our beach table and cairs right down to the water for coffee or evening cocktails, but we didn't get to do that. We were able to get both sunrise and sunset photos just by walking a short distance either direction. What a treat to snorkel right in front of our place, or take the kayaks out a little farther and snorkel by the reef. The abundance of fish was amazing, some of the best snorkeling we've had. we cannot say enough good about RRB and the whole staff. Everyone smiling and friendly and Mary was so helpful in making sure all our fight confirnations were is order. They even let us stay until it was time for our flight to Aitutaki. We will definitely be back feeling as if we are coming back to visit old friends. We thank all of them for their warm hospitality.

Room Tip: Ature is the best location
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan S
Sammamish, WA
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just returned from our third trip to the Cook Islands and our third visit to RBB. What a fantastic time we had. We can't imagine not going back again next year!! Everything about RBB is wonderful - from the spacious, clean bungalow with each detail looked after, the beautiful white sand beach at our door step to the friendly, helpful people. From the moment we arrived it felt like "coming home." Thank you Tom, Luckey and all the staff for taking care of us and for making our vacation the best!! See you next year!

Tree Ritchie at South Seas Adventure took care of all our travel arrangements including our wedding on the beach in 2010, our adventure to Aitutaki in 2011 and this trip which including three nights in Aitu. We can't say enough about how great it has been to work with her - she is always available to answer our numerous questions and we highly recommend letting her book your next trip. Thank you Tree!!

Room Tip: Every bungalow is great
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaveandSandie
Queenstown
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Rarotonga Beach Bungalows were fantastic. We have visited the Maldives for the last five years and we thought it was the best place in the world for holidays but the prices have gone through the roof so we thought we would try somewhere else and we couldn't have been more pleased. The accommodation, facilities and friendliness of the owners and staff at the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows are exceptional. Easily up to the Maldives standard. Plus there is a lot more to do on Rarotonga. A big plus for us is that no children were allowed. This a personal thing but we like a quiet relaxing time when on holiday and screaming kids just don't do it for us. Plus being right on one of the best beaches on the island which is also very quiet was a huge bonus. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to going again.

Room Tip: The waterfront bungalows are a must if you value an excellent ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank QueenstownRex
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We just had the most amazing time in Rarotonga. Such a lovely island and friendly people.
The Rarotonga Beach bungalows were fabulous. Right on the lagoon and so comfortable and private. The bungalows are beautifully decked out and very authentic. We had great time thanks to Tom, Luckey and the staff. It was paradise in paradise. Loved the snorkelling and the kayaks.We extended our stay and got to stay in 3 bungalows. The front are the best but the back ones are also great. We will be back.

Dale and Pauline, Melbourne, Australia

Room Tip: Try for the front bungalows, but the back are just as good and you still get to sit on the porch and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DALE F
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The Rarotonga Beach Bungalows are an unsurpassed vacation spot! This was my wife and my first trip to the south pacific and we were not disappointed. The staff at the Bungalows were so friendly it was almost like we were visiting friends we had known for a long time! The location is great. The bungalows sit right next to the beach that borders one of, if not the best lagoons on the island for snorkeling. I would recommend the bungalows to any couple wanting to get away!

Room Tip: The Beach front bungalows are very close to the beach, but the tropical bungalows are only about 50...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rtstuart
colorado
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This is a small resort, just 5 bungalows. It is in an excellent location right on the beach. This part of the lagoon is the best on the island for snorkeling. Breakfast, included, was cereal, toast, fresh fruit and coffee. Each bungalow has a fully equipped kitchen. The bungalows are well maintained and have daily maid service. The privacy from each bungalow is great.

Room Tip: Beach front bungalows offer the best view of the lagoon from the porch.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank terry21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titikaveka
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa
Sea Change Villas
Sea Change Villas
#1 of 12 in Titikaveka

Been to Rarotonga Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!