Looking forward to our 10-day Cook Island holiday, my husband selected the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows, which, although expensive, are indeed located in a very picturesque and beautiful setting, right on lovely Titikaveka Beach. The accommodation is slightly tired, the living room furniture uncomfortable, the hot water only lukewarm, the radios don’t work and the fridge makes an awfully loud rattle intermittently day and night – at least in Onu bungalow – and the communal washing machine was on the blink. But the local Rarotongan staff are warm, friendly and welcoming, as are most Cook Islanders. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the resort’s owner, Tom Fearon. In the early hours of Monday, 06 August 2012, my husband suffered a fatal myocardial infarction while we were staying in Onu bungalow at this resort. What was a dreadful and terribly panicky and sad occasion for me was made so much worse by the unfeeling, cruel, inconsiderate, unhelpful Mr Fearon. When I alerted the resident hostess, Luckey, around 3.30am, who then alerted Mr Fearon, asking for help because I thought my husband was dead and that I could not turn him over as he was face-down on the bed, Mr Fearon’s response to me was, “I’m not medically trained. I can’t help you.” I was totally stunned by his reaction to my request for assistance. I had called an ambulance, which had not arrived, and Mr Fearon said he would check on that instead of coming into our bungalow to help me try and turn my husband onto his back so that I could attempt to resuscitate him. He left me standing outside the bungalow in the middle of the night, not knowing what to do. Thankfully, Luckey was kind enough to stay with me until help arrived - unfortunately way too late.
Although Mr Fearon allowed me to make some calls home and to use the internet in the office (free internet access was part of our package) and he also photocopied and faxed some documents for me that were required by the travel insurance company, he was consistently unhelpful and unfeeling when any other requests were made of him. On my final day in Rarotonga, when I was at last able to take my husband home, Mr Fearon, while onsite in his accommodation, refused to open the office in the middle of a weekday afternoon for me so that my air tickets could be emailed through. Instead, I had to ask that they be sent to the local undertaker.
Mr Fearon may be all charm when he wants to be, but don’t ask him to go out of his way.
Thank you Luckey, Miriama, Mary and Jacqueline for your kindness. Luckey for staying with me and being so supportive and for the shell necklace, one for each of us, you gave me when I left. Jacqueline for the hibiscus flower you were wearing in your hair and which you gave to me with your sympathy. Miriama for your hugs. And to the lovely couple from Auckland in the bungalow next door who popped in to check on me and give me hugs several times. Also the young Australian couple in the bungalow behind who left flowers and chocolate at my door. It helped a lot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With just five (5) deluxe beach bungalows clustered in a native village atmosphere, these units all offer the laid back and unique feeling of visiting the South Seas of the 1940's. All units front on a wide, white sand beach where the tropical lagoon in front is a national maritime protected area -- and,thus, allows endless snorkeling adventures. All bungalows are separate, free standing, Polynesian designed units. All have coconut thatch roofs, bamboo interior walls, colorful cloth on the ceiling and white sand at each bungalow entry. All are furnished with modern amenities. The property strives to offer the maximum BEACH fun with a 'spirit of the islands'. Nothing here is stuffy, snobby, stainless steel -- just a great secluded location for couples to enjoy the BEACH. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Rarotonga Beach Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rarotonga Beach Bungalows Hotel Titikaveka
- Rarotonga Beach Bungalows Cook Islands - Titikaveka