“I'm not sure where to start”

Little Polynesian Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Titikaveka
“I'm not sure where to start”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

So we'll start with Sam. He is the cornerstone of this wonderful resort. An incredibly generous hotel manager, with a fantastic team, a wealth of experience running hotels in Sydney, Hawaii & around the world and a wonderful knowledge of his island and its people. The staff are great - relaxed, helpful and incredibly friendly - a perfect reflection of a beautiful island paradise. The beachfront rooms are spacious, well appointed with a day-bed to die for. And the garden rooms have a great walled garden, privacy and the same layout (we loved the place so much we extended our stay by 3 days). Try to book beachfront bungalow nos. 2 if you like your privacy, nos 5 if you are lazy like me and want to step off your deck and into the pool and a garden room if you like to be hidden away. The pool is as any pool in paradise should be....sand to one edge and overlooking the ocean. The water (a marine reserve) is literally a hop-step-jump from any of the doors and for the aqua inclined has great coral snorkelling on your doorstep with Moray eels and giant trevally a 10 minute paddle away by kayak. Did I mention the food?....that Ike Mata is a god-send. We have travelled a fair bit and without a shadow of a doubt the Little Poly paradise is the best beach resort we have encountered so far in Africa, Asia and the Pacific. The easiest way to show you how great it was, is with the photo's we came home with....it's easy to take good ones when you are staying in such a beautiful place!

6 Thank RachaelandAndrewNZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Just amazing, we enjoyed every moment in our beach front bungalow! The rooms were just fantastic, loved the outdoor bath and shower. The beach front location was amazing.
Facilities aside, what made this place amazing was the staff. From house keeping, to the resturant/bar staff and front office! A few quick emails and I had motor scooters, transfers and tours organised before leaving Australia. We were so well looked we cannot wait to come back.
Resort aside, the Cook Islands are well set up for tourism, with loads to do, and well organised activities and tours.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adam M
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our stay at The Little Poly truly could not have been better. The beachfront bungalows, "Are," were absolutely fantastic and the views from the resort are just gorgeous. The food at Little Poly's restaurant was great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We dined at other places around the island, as well, but it was nice to have great food right there where we were staying. Sam went above and beyond to make our stay special and we really cannot say enough good things. If we ever have the opportunity to go back there is no question as to where we will be staying...The Little Poly is the gem of Rarotunga!

3 Thank Krissy S
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Little Polynesian was such a beautiful resort! The view/beach is Amazing, the rooms are beyond clean & welcoming. The spa tub outside is awesome because the weather is great day or night! The grounds are so well kept, coconuts will not fall & hit you, they keep the palms nice & clean! We ate by the pool, always having nice meals. Great place! Highly recommend! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Shannonsocal
Calgary
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The Little Poly is an upscale boutique hotel. We know the island well and I can say without a doubt it is located on the best beach on the island! The setting is stunning! Whether you are honeymooning or just appreciating the stunning views and well appointed rooms your experience will be memorable. Guests that are going to appreciate this resort will those with an appreciation for sutle tasteful amenities, stunning views and a feeling of calmness and tranquility.
I believe Vicki told us last year the average stay at The Little Poly is 4 nights, we always stay 12 nights each visit. I can't give it any better recommendation than that. If we didn't find the staff excellent, the accommodation perfect we would not have returned this many times to the same resort. We do know what other comparable accommodation is available on the island, but you won't get the entire package that the little poly offers! If you find you can't afford the beach front units enquire about a garden room - you are just an additional 20ft in from the water, so not bad.. With each trip I look at what the management has changed and improved upon since our previous stay. Last year in my review I mentioned the drinks didn't wow me... but they were good. This year I was really impressed to see the presentation upped and the recipes changed! Great job! I like trying some new ones but I also like the old standbys. One of those standby's is a pina coloda... order one- the presentation is outstanding... with the carmel drizzled on the inside and the big pineapple wedge. The rooms are nicely decorated in a sutle calm island theme... but the change inside I noticed was the shampoos! They are using a locally manufactured coconut based shampoo! A really nice product and enhances the island theme and experience! We have always found the rooms to be very comfortable and take full advantage of the stunning views with the floor to ceiling windows.
The Breakfast is good. A selection of fresh fruit, cereals, muffins, croissants, toast, muffins, juice and coffee are available. Hot breakfasts and specialty coffees are available at an additional charge. We have never been disappointed with any of the food in the resort - lunch and dinner have always been excellent!
If I may offer suggestions as a North American yes some things on the island are a little more expensive but not when you factor in the exchange rate they really aren't! We have to remember most things here that we take for granted are shipped in and that does add a bit to the expense but really it isn't bad. The food I would say in general is much fresher! If you buy a loaf of bread it will go moldy in 4 days.. that says to me no preservatives! Good job! You won't go hungry and you definitely get what you pay for. I always say we don't go on holidays to save money just enjoy yourself isn't that what vacations are about... If you are spending the money to travel here I would recommend pre booking a car! The speed limit is 50k. so we lower our standards and just book an inexpensive car it won't be to North Amercian standards but we laugh and just go with it. My only criteria for the car is the air conditioning needs to work everything else is negotiable. We rent through island car and bike and we have paid less for a car than mylesmcg ( yes we met them at the resort) did for a scooter. Actually $15.00 dollars less/day. Other guests told us they were paying upwards of $90.00/day for a car! Our car for the 12 days was then than half that rate / day. It does pay to pre book cars.
On the island make sure to go home with a nice black pearl. Every time you see it, it will remind you of your vacation and take you back to the island. I still check the entire island for pearls and I still have two solid choices of shops I would recommend! Bergman's would still be my premier choice. This is an upscale shop with a selection of moderate to high end pieces. You won't see these pieces all over the island. I take both family and friends there to shop. I personally over the years have bought 3 major pieces there. The last one was a one of a kind. Feel free to ask Ben or Luke what it was. I have owned it a month now and I am still amazed by it. ..Pieces you buy at Bergman's you won't get tired of. They are timeless fashionable additions. The friends I took to the shop this year bought 6 moderately priced pieces. They have a great selection for men also and are creating some addtional new really show stoppers for women! The other shop I would recommend is just 2 km down from The Little Poly. It is a small shop located in a house. As you are heading for town look for the yellow sandwich board on the ocean side of the road. Colin Rattle is his name. He has a selection of custom made pieces at reasonable prices. His son Paul also creates some nice pieces. Both of my recommendations here I have known and shopped at for 10 years so I can recommend with confidence. If you are looking for inexpensive tourist trinkets, pearls you can find them at the market but you will get what you pay for and that is totally ok! I do that also.
One last comment on the Little Poly. We are booked again for Nov. 2014 for 12 days. This is a vacation for us about quality not quantity. We have travelled to the French Riveria, Rio Dejanerio, most of the U.S. and Canada, including Hawaiii.. those places to us have nothing on Raro and The Little Poly. If you think my name will help feel free to mention it at any of the places I have mentioned. Some places for sure will remember me. I also put in reviews of most of the places we have eaten on the island.

Tim J. the Canadian.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank holidayfuncalgary
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This place is a really well organised small scale resort on one of the best beaches in Raro. The staff are very friendly and professional. Rooms are well equiped and private although our TV had no channels and the outdoor spa bath had leaves in it. We stayed in a Garden Bungalow which was nice but bear in mind you cant see the ocean from these rooms. The Beachside bungalows have the best views but for the price you would expect nothing less. Surprised the buffet breakfast options are only cereals, fruit and toast. Nothing cooked. But you can order 'sides' which I found out on the second day consisting of bacon and eggs free of charge. Having said that, I'm basing my review on the location and staff which are worthy of 5 stars.

3 Thank Tim J
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights on our honeymoon and we loved it. The staff where fantastic and special thank you to Vicki for helping us with our upgrade and anything else we needed. I would highly recommend renting a car or scooter for your stay. We waited to rent ours and we where unable to because little did we know that the Vaka Eiva was happening that week so all the paddlers and rented everything. We were able to rent a scooter for the last 24hrs of the stay which allowed us to explore a little. There are 2 buses that travel the perimeter of the island and will drop you off anywhere (ticket is $5). One travels clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. This will allow you some freedom at least and one of the bus drivers is quite funny with his running commentary. There are a few restaurants close by to eat at. The resort offers kayaks, snorkeling gear and a paddleboard on first come basis. The snorkeling at the resort was great. Plenty to see.

I would definitely recommend this place if you needed to relax and unwind. It was exactly what we needed after a stressful wedding. No kids allowed here either :) Make sure you bring plenty of money to Rarotonga as things aren't cheap.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the beachfront villa. We stayed in the garden room for the first night and upgraded for...