“Beautiful location”

Little Polynesian Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Titikaveka
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand, Polynesian, International, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I went here twice on our recent trip to the Cook Islands, once with my boyfriend and another couple, and the second time with just my boyfriend. The food was very tasty and fairly reasonably priced - between $23 and $36 for a main. I had the steak the first visit which was beautifully cooked, and the Lamb the second visit which was perfect. Lovely entrees and desserts too! The only let down were the cocktails. Tasted like flavoured cordial rather than alcoholic cocktails so we stuck to soft drink on our return visit.

Visited January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Don't bother.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

After making a reservation we were seated outside on quite a windy night on a tiny make shift table, too far from the light of the restaurant to read what was on the menu let alone eat a meal. There were 2 tiny candles on our table that the waiter didn't even bother to light.

A while after we arrived a local couple turned up who had clearly not made a reservation. Within about 10 minutes they were moved to a nicer table, even though there was already a couple waiting who had been there since before we arrived, and had already asked if they could be moved. The local couple received their food almost immediately, and the staff stood around talking to them, leaving everyone else with no service at all. The couple that asked to be moved ended up getting up and leaving because they couldn't stand waiting any longer.

From the get go our waiter was unpleasant. When we asked what the specials were he sighed as if we were being difficult, though as far as I am aware it's standard practice for them to tell you what the specials are when offering you your menu. After making our decisions on what to order we were only then informed that half of the dishes on the menu weren't available, and then had to quickly change our decisions on what we wanted as the waiter stood around impatiently. It took about 40 minutes for our starter to arrive, which was literally 4 pieces of bread and 2 small trays of dip, and an hour for our actual meals to arrive. In the time that we were waiting, our waiter made no attempt to ask us how we were doing, if we needed new drinks, or say anything. He couldn't manage to crack a smile or say a single extra word that he absolutely didn't have to while serving us, and walked around with his nose in the air the rest of the time. Incredibly rude person.

When the food finally arrived it was average, the one beer I managed to order was warm, and over all it was a completely unpleasant experience. Waste of time, waste of money, don't bother.

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank MarcCruickshank
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“We came at the wrong time?”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Timing is everything, they say. So maybe that was the problem.........

We arrived quite late, must have been about 8.30pm (and we were definitely the last there). We got a really nice table for two, overlooking the stunning infinity pool and onto the beach. The setting and ambiance were stunning in what is one of the top resorts in Rarotonga. We ordered drinks, a wine for my wife and a local beer for me (Matutu pale ale) which I had tried in other places and enjoyed. The drinks came and my beer............. was AWEFUL! It tasted like vinegar. Oh well, not the restaurant's fault.

Our order for food came. My wife ordered seafood risotto and I ordered the pork belly. My food - looked fantatstic except what I would nomally devour first as crackling was somthing that looked and tasted like shoe leather. The meat - tasted lovely, but it was hot on the outside and VERY cold out-of-the-fridge on the inside. The risotto - looked beautiful on the plate and the first tast I 'stole' off the plate was delicious - but it was cold!

So I called the waitress and complained. She took everything away with a smile and told us it would be fixed.

Well!!! It all eventually came back. My pork belly, I was told, had been re-heated in a hot oven. I think dried out and almost cremated would have been a better description. Also, now the chips and bok choi had gone completely cold and were inedible. The risotto - what had started out as a tasty and perfect moist seafood dish came back as dried out hot sludge on a different plate.

I called the waitress back and told here we were not eating this and I would not be paying for it. Fortunately, the management agreed and that was that. We left very dissapointed.

So - were the chefs getting ready to go home and couldn't be bothered with the last clients of the day? I don't know. But a good restaurant runs on its service and reputation. This is a sad indication of lack of managerial control? I don't know.

Anyway - no-one I spoke with after this experience were intending to try it out......... Up to you if you do.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank George C
Warrenton, Oregon
“Just ok”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Nothing impressive. The only memorable thing about this meal is that I froze myself. The atmosphere is lovely, the food? So-so. The restaurant was within walking distance of our hotel, so that was a plus. Other than that, meh. Service was good!

Calgary
“totally amazing!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Little Poly for several years. The café is attached and an absolute stunning location and views. Our dinners there have always been incredible. This time I had the tuna which was excellent! The dessert I had was the Wonton... yes wonton fill with bananas and drizzled with chocolate and with ice cream... I had to try it... Scrumptious. I know I have had a good meal when the entrée is so good that I have to try dessert because if the entrée is that good what is the next course going to be like? I recommending indulging! Go for a good long walk on the beach the next day to wear it off! ..
Also in my review last year I mention the cocktails... Well this year they have stepped them up a huge notch! Fantastic... The presentation is superb and the taste is equally great! I'm really thrilled to see they have taken that up a notch and now I can recommend them.
If you are lucky enough to stay at the Little Poly (We have stay there 4 times for 12 days each time) the breakfasts include a good array of local fruits, fresh muffins, croissants, breads, cereal, yogurt, cheese and meat. Specialty coffees and hot breakfasts are also available. We have no complaints-great breakfast.

• Visited December 2013