“Great seafood curry”

Vaima Polynesian Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Titikaveka
Cuisines: Polynesian, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are situated right on the beach. Imagine sitting on the beach with the sun setting, sipping your favourite cocktail and enjoying some of the best cuisine on the island - how romantic! We also offer a pizza take away service - forget the cooking - enjoy our pizza in your room/hotel or just sit on the beach with your feet in the water enjoying the food. We can cater for small private functions and weddings. Look forward to seeing you at the Vaima. We recommend that families book between 5.30 and 6.30 pm.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great sea food or fish curries here. Local beers and good dessert menu. Expect to pay around 27 to 39 nz dollars for a main. Staff pleasant but god were they slow. Setting on the beach great.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

A year ago I wrote a review about a problem I had with the Beef Wellington at the Vaima. When i returned this year I thought I would give them a second chance. Big mistake. When It came out the pastry on the outside was burnt and I knew I was in trouble right away. Just like the year before it was over cooked. This time, just to be sure, I cut it down the middle and sure enough, cooked to a fair-thee-well. I sent it back and asked for another. Surely third time would be the charm. Alas, no.
The second one was slightly better than the first. At least it was somewhat pink in the middle. It was advertised on the specials board as coming with mushrooms. Not a mushroom in sight. And to add insult to injury it appeared that they had scraped off the potatoes and vegetables from the first plate on to the second and they were cold.
When I went to pay the person at the till, who I assume was the owner, he was surprised to hear about my difficulties. None of the staff had said anything to him. When he asked the maitre d, who had taken my plate back, she said I had eaten half the first one which was an absolute lie. All I did was cut it in half and take one bite. I told him the second one was somewhat pink in the middle and he said that's the way it should be. Beef Wellington, done properly, should be medium rare though out. Not just in the very middle.
The owner never acknowledged that I had had an unpleasant dinning experience and offered no apology. He just told me what my total bill was.
I have always recommended the Vaima to tourists I meet but that will no longer be the case. In fact it will be just the opposite. If I ever do go back, I will certainly never again order the Beef Wellington.
I have to say I was very disappointed. I expected much better from a restaurant that has such a good reputation. It appears it has been over rated.

1  Thank Puapii-teacher
Reviewed August 16, 2013

A very nice experience, fresh fish, nicely cooked, friendly and attentive service and a prompt minibus service back to our hotel. Very hard to fault and the calamari starter was simply superb. Had it not been raining we would have sat outside but in the event that was not possible.

Transport to and from your hotel is available and a much better idea than driving at night on the island.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

A cool little restaurant that has outdoor seating which is actually on the beach (don't worry, it's enclosed by a nice garden and has very good lighting). There's a great selection of both seafood and your typical meals. Price wise is not too bad either; pretty much what you'd expect to pay on Raro.

Best Part:
The pork belly is simply amazing and definitely a must if you're a fan. Another good dish was a fish curry which was served with several different mixes so you could make your own concoctions on your plate.

Drawbacks:
Service *can* be a little slow but hey, switch over to island time and just have another Matutu!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had a delicious fish lunch right on the beach. Great Pina Colada. Looking forward to another meal on our next visit.