The Angel Inn
The George Hotel(Chollerford)
  • Pool
Walwick Hall(Humshaugh)
View Hotel
The Plough Inn(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
Close House Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
Langley Castle Hotel(Langley-on-Tyne)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe barnthe main hotelthe pubafternoon teacheeseboardbar menubottled waterlivercannot commentbeefbar areapuddingbooked a tablestaff were attentivebirthday treatmain courseonly criticism
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We found The Angel Inn quite by accident whilst out for a drive..We were spending a few days in Hexham and had decided to explore..On this occasion I wish I had kept driving..We had originally stopped for a drink as it was a lovely day but opted to have a snack also..We decided on a sandwich...50 minutes later the food had still not made an appearance..
I hadnt paid much attention to the time as we had been chatting to Gary and Kerry a lovely couple from South Shields who we had just met..I went to investigate the delay and discovered our order had not even been sent to the kitchen..? ? ? ? The waitress was very apologetic and assured me that the order would be with us immediately..I ordered another drink and was further dismayed to find a long blonde hair floating on top..To avoid being confrontational I asked for the drink to be brought over to me and returned to my table..After a few minutes the waitress brought my drink over and was again apologetic..It did however take another 15 minutes for our sandwiches to arrive..The food turned out to be better than I expected, the french fries however had been pre-salted...A cardinal sin.!...The Angel is not high on my list for a further review...My thinking is that it should be right first time evey time..Not a philosophy shared by the management and staff unfortunately

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bear1630
Reviewed August 22, 2012

A visit to the angel Inn was meant to be a special treat. It turned into a day of I am recovering from a two year old accident and wanted to combine a celebratory trip out with some friends. Two years ago I was a regular visitor, for meals and staying at the hotel.
As soon as we walked into the bar area we were pounced upon by a male member of staff wanting to know ' What we wanted' I replied we were there for lunch and that we would take a table and could we have a menu please ? The menu contained only one vegetarian choice. On enquiring if the fish batter could be made without 'Wylam beer' I was looked at as if I was dog dirt on the shoes of the young female waiter and told "no, but I'll check" She returned somewhat smuggly to inform me that was how the batter was made - with beer- I asked if the batter on the childrens portion of fish was like that, and she replied "yes". Whilst the other lady waitress didn't actually do anything to get up my nose, she was unsmiling and did not offer any conversation. We were never asked if our, just average food was o.k.
The male waiter behind the bar appeared physically unable to crack a smile, and was abrupt to say the least. There was not one sign of ordinary courtesy, let alone a bit of banter.
I have visited some of the top Michelin starred restaurants in the country, as well as some of the lovliest 'homely' type eateries but have never come across such pretentious, up their own backside staff in my life. And for what ?????? If it had just been my partner and I, I would have certainly have had something to say at the time.
The service was so bad that the waiter removed the plates from the table before we had finished and one of my guests had to grab her sandwich as the plate was whisked away ! Also the waiter continuously leant over us to deliver and remove plates. Elementary training.

On returning to the car park, a delivery van had blocked my car in, so we decided to call into the antique shop next door, on returning the van was still blocking the car in, I tried to negotiate my brand new car around the van, but had to give up. We then noticed that the surly waiter (behind the bar) had witnessed our actions as he was in the car park, and didn't offer help, until my partner asked him to go back inside the bar to try and find out who the van belonged to, it turned out to belong to the man whom he was dealing with !! Not an apology in sight!!!
Believe you me,I am an easy going person, but this type of behaviour is not acceptable anywhere. Does the owner of the Angel inn, think that by employing people to look down on their guests that it gives the bar/restaurant the appearance of an up market eatery? If so they should visit REAL upmarket places not only in their food offerings but in the way staff treat guests and diners.
As already mentioned the food was only average and it was over priced.
The toilets smelt and are very unattractive.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Torquil9257
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Radcliffe at the Angel Inn has some fantastic rooms at the back with beautiful views through the bay window to the river beyond - stunning. The room was tastefully decorated in a gorgeous yellow and the furniture was perfect including a very comfortable bed.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cath4224
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I Stay here and dine here regularly and having seen some poor reviews felt the need to finally come on here to rate highly! The food is always of a high standard, I particularly enjoy the cheeseboard on an evening whilst soaking up the pleasurable bar atmosphere. Some rooms are better than others, however i understand that recently the hotel has been undergoing full refurbishment and as often as possible the staff do their best to organise a refurbed room for me. All in all this is a comfortable and friendly place to stay, the food and service haven't faltered yet and I think the place offers a great option for visitors to corbridge and the surrounding areas.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room, I'm sure they would oblige!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank AmusedBouche03
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place could'nt get any better, never fails to deliver, top food, top service, top beers. Came for Sunday lunch at 4.30 and the meal was as perfect as if it had been served at 12.30. Absolutely perfect in every way. Strongly recommended !!!

• Stayed: July 2012