“Pleasant but pricey”
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Corbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Angel of Corbridge is a classic country inn with aspirations. My room, #10, was spacious and comfortable and had a lovely river view. The bathroom was badly designed, though, with a bizarrely complicated shower (one had to pull a cord to turn the power on before pressing any of the many buttons in the shower itself) and a toilet wedged into a tiny corner. The room was tackily full of extras-for-a-price--a bottle of wine, a teddy bear. Breakfast was good; the staff fixed me a bowl of yogurt and fresh fruit, which wasn't on the menu, but was just what I wanted. The only other meal I ate in the restaurant was afternoon tea, which was also good but surprisingly expensive. Overall, I found the Angel a comfortable place to stay, but I don't think it gives particularly good value for money.

Room Tip: I recommend the rear, river-facing views in the Angel Radcliffe.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank academic_traveler81

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Having regularly visited the Angel for Wining & dining as the food is very good,we decided to have a wkend break away and stay........It was great to see the rooms were on offer ...but too find our room was tatty with a double bed ( who has double beds these days) and a tiny tiny bathroom there was no way you could read your Telegraph in there & the tea making facilities nearly on the floor ... Was very dissapointed with ROOM 10 ...maybe the view helped it along but that was it....Also the stair carpet when approaching was filthy...um dont think we will be staying again...Even if the rooms are cheaper you could do them all up to impress !!
The staff are young and some were useless and often chatting amongst themselves!!
But on th upside the New Martini lounge was a hit...That took yer eye of the Tat i suppose!!

Room Tip: Had a sneaky look at the front 2 rooms which were twin rooms,,,they looked improved..pot luck i gue...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Diane R
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Now here we have an establishment who seem to think that, on asking for two pints of soda water with syrup added (i.e. diet coke to you and me) justifies a price tag of £6.40!!! My intention was to have a soft drink followed by a pint of real ale, but having picked myself up off the floor and then on hearing the price asked for a pint of ale (£3.65), I thought better of it (the same local ale was on sale at an establishment visited later on in the day in a nearby village at over a £1 cheaper).
Now I'm not tight but nor am I apathetic to unjustified greed.
I have read the reviews prior to adding my piece. We did not eat here or have we stayed here so cannot comment on those factors. The place had become busier within half an hour of us arriving at about 12.30 and more were there for food than for having a casual drink. As it is a standout building from crossing the river over the bridge from the side of the village where the train station is, it captures tourism first before other similar establishments there.
But turn right from leaving the Angel and within two minutes we were blessed with change from £5 for ordering a pint of diet coke, a pint of real ale and a packet of crisps. This was also a dining establishment and there appeared to be a dress code for staff here which the Angel seemed not to have when we visited.
So, you either pay over the odds or venture elsewhere, because at these prices, someone's having a laugh!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MICKUL
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The restaurant itself was lovely, beautifully decorated and a lovely atmosphere. The food itself was ok I've had better but I've also had worse, the portion sizes were very small, on my plate I only got one carrot. However the customer service was terrible. We had to ask three times for horseradish and mustard which to be honest should served with Sunday lunch as it is a given. We asked for a jug of water when ordering drinks and received it whilst eating dessert. There was people having to go downstairs into the bar to order drinks as it was taking so long. It wasn't as if the restaurant was packed there was only around 25 customers in. If we had paid £5 for Sunday lunch I totally understand but at £11.99 you expect better service. My impression was fur coat and no knickers !!!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coldfoot80
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Very basic room, unlucky 13, smell of stale vomit, mouldy and grubby shower, tray fills as you shower! uncomfortable bed with the thinest duvet we've ever come across. Outrageously expensive, not good value for money! Won't be going back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MrsKstay
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We fell across the Angel Inn one Saturday and enjoyed a very nice drink in the sunshine. Thee food being served looked good so the 4 of us decided to book dinner that evening. We expected to be sitting in the pub, but were pleasantly surprised when we were seated in a lovely restaurant at the the back of the pub. The food and service could not be faulted and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We enjoyed a relaxing visit to The Angel Inn for Sunday lunch as we had to wait a short while for a table in the bar area but we were able to read the Sunday papers in the lounge. The main course which we had (chicken & lamb) were delicious and the deserts were superb! Then finished with an excellent coffee!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corbridge
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
#1 of 1 in Slaley
The Robin Hood Inn
The Robin Hood Inn
#7 of 14 in Corbridge

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!