“Splendid service & location, good food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Brocksbushes Farm Shop & Tea Room
Ranked #5 of 5 Coffee & Tea in Corbridge
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An excellent country cafe with a good farm shop. Offers a good range of food. A little diffiuclt to find - north off the roundabout on the A69 just east of the Hexham exit.
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Splendid service & location, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

The roadside publicity is a little confusing, advertising breakfasts and teas but no lunches. I had to stop on my way to Newcastle to ascertain that they were open for lunch. The welcoming staff made me want to come back for the actual meal.

I returned with the family and found the place to be child-friendly, with sheets of paper and crayons available for colouring in. I ordered the all-day traditional breakfast and was ready to go without bread, until I discovered that they actually have gluten-free; a pleasant surprise.

The components were of very good quality and very well cooked. The children enjoyed their jacket potatoes and I was impressed with my bacon, black pudding and poached egg. Even the beans seemed specially tasty. The only disappointment was the tea: it was on the threshold of drinkability, and after a couple of sips I gave up on it.

The staff were welcoming, attentive and careful in the service. The place is clearly well run, although it would do well to find a faster way to process the queue for orders.

The restaurant it adjacent to a farm shop which deserves a proper look. I will return for that.

• Visited January 2013

Hexham
“Farm shop?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Although I like Brockbushes, I do wish they would source more local items. I tried to but items for a Northumberland Hamper for a christmas gift and I ended up with more items from Waitrose than Brockbushes which is sad. What you do sell is good and pick your own is great fun for children. Reduced food miles would be perfect

Visited December 2012
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

visited during christmas and really enjoyed the food, service was brilliant and loved the shops homemade produce, definitely be back for the chicken and ham pie.

• Visited December 2012
“Lovely place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Lovely place to eat and shop, friendly staff who provided brilliant customer service, would recommend to anyone and will definitely be returning

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Pay one pound before you pick Strawberrys”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I only found this out this year when I visited this place, I have been before a few times and enjoyed it as I visit farm shops for the fresh produce they have on offer. I have picked fruit at this place in the past and it has always been great, that is until they started charging you just to go in to a field. I have fruit picked at other places and they just charge you for what you pick ie by the basket or punnet. I have never known an entrance charge before so why are they doing this because such places need peoples custom and this is one way to scare off punters. I went mid August this year and saw the sign near the field, needless to say after that I did not bother but they do not state this on there sign near the road.

Now for the café, the food was ok but nothing special and expensive for what was on offer and the service was slow to. The produce in the shop is nice but expensive so shop around as other places seem to be cheaper. Its a shame as I used to love fruit picking here but since they started charging for you just to enter a field you now pay before you pick on top of what you have picked already so its double the charge and I feel this will scare of a few customers. I have never known an entrance fee at a pick your own place before and on principle I will not visit anymore. There are a few pick your own places around that do not charge entry so use them instead. At there prices I am surprised the place is still busy. If your in the area try Knitsley farm shop if its fresh produce your after and there prices are reasonable to but sadly they do not have a pick your own but they do have a lovely café with everything made fresh to order. Sadly I will not be visiting Brockbushes again as it has sadly gone down hill with all these changes and very high inflated prices for what you get. As I have said I visit other farm shops and none are as expensive as this one. In principle you are paying them to let you do the work of picking the fruit. It use to be service with a smile there a few year back but sadly not now which is a shame.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CAROLINE D, Owner at Brocksbushes Farm Shop & Tea Room, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Please let me explain why we have had to charge entrance.We have grown the same acreage of strawvberries for many years, the plants and growing have improved, and costs have increased however quantity of fruit picked has decreased, because so many groups of people have been coming and spending several hours in the picking fields eating the fruit , some have even bought bowls and sugar and cream, they then leave ,paying for a very small quantity of strawberries.Others eat their fill then throw what they have picked into the hedge and leave.
Most of our customers have understood why we have had to charge. For the pound charge there are 30 acreas of fruit to walk through and pick, and a woodland walk.We are very sad to have to charge, but we are trying to keep the pick your own going and maintain four jobs.