“Great find”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Traditional english Pub where the East meets west
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great food and excellent alternative to Library restaurant at Matfen Hall which was fully booked.

Staff very friendly and service very good also

1  Thank awatson67
There are newer reviews for Queens Head Inn

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We visited the Queens Head in Great Whittington during a recent stay at Matfen Hall. The local pub in Matfen wasn’t serving food so we decided to drive the extra mile or so along the road to Great Whittington and found it to be well worth the journey.

The Queens Head is a great put with a good selection of local ales and some really good food on offer. My husband and I both had the hot roast beef sandwich which was lovely but very big so if you are just looking for more of a snack you could quite easily share this between two. This pub is lovely inside and it is perfect for relaxing and sharing some food and drink.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Enjoyed a very tasty Saturday night dinner in this lovely restaurant and would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a pleasant place to eat/drink in the area. Great food, friendly staff, good beers... what's not to like?
(only downside is the total absence of vegetarian options on the menu)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was our first visit to the Queen's Head and was directed there from a pub in a neighbouring village which was not serving food at that time. My first enquiry was to find out what vegetarian dishes were available, as three in our party of four were non meat/fish eaters. Two starters, a risotto and a soup and the only suitable main course was again, risotto, which would have to be served without the prosciutto. This risotto was also offered as a starter portion. It seems these days that risotto is the lazy chef's option to satisfy awkward vegetarians! In the absence of anything else being adaptable I asked if egg and chips would be a possibility. So the friendly young man asked the chef if that was possible and yes, it was, but we were certainly given the impression that we needed to be in and out as quickly as possible. I am not sure if that was because we were considered cheapskate dodgy vegetarians or they were expecting a great influx of people who never appeared! After being seated we eventually needed to ask for the menu. The young men who served us were friendly enough but the young blonde girl was miserable. We had the soup and the risotto to start which were very tasty indeed, followed by the main course risotto and two portions of egg and chips. The egg and chips were lovely, chips very good, but the portion was pathetically small (price £6-95!). Desserts were ordered: chocolate melting pots were tasty but cold (one had some plastic on it) and crumble, which turned out to be no longer available which considering it was relatively early evening on a Friday was rather surprising. We arrived about 7pm and left about 8.50pm, which I consider a rather lengthy time for a meal that consisted of soup, risotto and desserts. So I would suggest to avoid the Queen's Head Inn if you are vegetarian. We certainly didn't feel it was a welcoming atmosphere despite the pleasant surroundings.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Had a mid-week supper here and was really impressed by the food and service. We sat in the lounge area as the pub was fairly quiet. although it had a nice feel as there were a few locals chatting at the bar and the fires were on. I liked the fact that the menu wasn't huge, it gave me confidence that the food was cooked on the premises, and I was right. I had the braised pigs cheeks which were delicious and my friend had the ploughmans. We followed this with a really lovely gooey chocolate fondant, and the apple crumble (only small gripe was that there wasn't enough crumble topping or custard). Will definitely return!