“fawlty towers meets a retirement home”
Review of The Hayes

The Hayes
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corbridge
The Hayes
Ranked #13 of 15 Corbridge B&B and Inns
“fawlty towers meets a retirement home”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Arrived about 6pm with no one in just an envelope at front door.
8 of us cycling from Carlisle to newcastle booked months in advance, got an email a couple of days before we went to say they have double booked us.
They put 5 of us in one room that had a double, 2 singles and 2 camp beds. The room and furniture looked like something out of the early 1900s.
The other 3 had a single room and a bedsetee in the library.
Breakfast was nothing to write home about but they gave us £3 each back.
That really made up for sleeping on top of each other in camp beds good job we were drunk and stopped out late watching football.
They made almost £180 from 5 of us in one room.
We were let down badly with the short notice given and the place itself was an ancient building.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank sjh011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
cheshire
Reviewed May 15, 2014

this was our fourth stay at the hayes and as usual thoroughly enjoyed it,great view from the room, clean and just the right amount for breakfast,5 minute walk to the nearest pub what more do you want,yes it is a couple of quid over priced but you are more or less in the town,we always find mr and mrs Matthews most welcoming and chatty,without being ott.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire, Uk
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I arrived in Corbridge on my 2nd day of walking Hadrian Wall.
On my arrival I found the owner were not in, but kindly had left an envelope with my name on with the keys and instructions.
I had booked a single and was told I had to share the bathroom which was on the landing.
What I had not been told was that the room was a box room and that the bathroom was at the opposite side of the house!
My room was very tiny and with my backpack on the floor I had to negotiate to reach the sink positioned between a wall and the end of my bed, and had to move it all together to get out of the door.
The bathroom turned out to be yes on the landing but totally the opposite side of my room. I had to pass 3 other bedrooms to arrive to it. when I entered I was in a room that was 3 times as big as my bedroom, had a bathtub in the middle - overlooked by a huge long window - and no shower!
My bedroom not only was tiny but was also overlooked by a huge window over the stairs/landing and the porch at the front door. basically there was no place I could be in my room with some privacy unless I closed the curtains (no nets) and switched on the light.
The owners of the B&B seem to be very organised in giving information about the village and order on what you can or cannot do in a large L-arch file.
You got the feeling hey wanted your money but did not want to see their guests.
Breakfast was at 8.30am, you could have it earlier but no option to have it later, and they wanted you out by 10am. (which is ok, but I can still be out by 10 and eat my breakfast at 9/9.30!!).
I woke up early and was tempted to leave asap as I felt there was a bad karma in the house.
I decided to stay and have breakfast (bad decision).
the dining room had several large tables and a tiny one for the single room, shuffled in a corner, between the door and another table.
My tea was brought in at the same time as other drinks by an elderly woman which only said 'good morning', did not welcome me or introduced herself.
then my poached egg and mushroom came with toasts. I was given 2 eggs - which I had not asked - and what I believe was 1 mushroom thinly sliced to look more than one and 1.5 slices of toasted bread! When I asked for more toasts the woman looked at me like I had 2 heads and I had to repeat my question twice more. eventually she brought me another slice of half burnt toast. I was never asked it I wanted more.
having asked the night before if I could have a yogurt for the cereals (I can't have too much milk) I was told there was no yogurt, so I had to supplement my breakfast with toasts and marmalade.
Fortunately another guest, very kindly offered me her toasts which she did not want.
Given the obvious reticence of our hosts to show themselves and welcome me, I left the balance payment for my room on the table, under the plastic number 3 (my room) and was sure that the old lady would see them immediately as she seemed to grab plates, glassed and so forth from my table as soon as they were empty, without a word to see if they were still needed.
I went to my room and left as soon as possible leaving the keys on the register in the hall and finishing to tie my boots outside this unfriendly place.
I started my day's walk and about 15' or so later, I got a phone call on my mobile. I answered it and a man - after ascertaining it was me - told me I had forgotten to pay for my room!
I told him I had left the balance on my table, prominently under my room number because I had not seen anyone of the house-owners. He did not apologise, but asked me to wait on the line while he went to check I was telling the truth! Shame on you!!!
It was clear the owners welcomed the money guests brings but don't welcome the guests!
Beware!!!

Room Tip: don't take the single room, especially if you are a tall person, you would not fit in the bed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank AnnaHertfordshire_UK

Travelers are raving about these Corbridge hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed one night in this family home which was full of character. we were welcomed warmly and helped with our luggage. The room was clean and furnished in keeping with the age of the house. It was immaculately clean. Breakfast was good, coffee was fine and we were offered more toast without having to ask for it. I can only think that some of the previous reviewers wanted corporate bland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Reviewers below summarise the disappointing experience of staying in this B&B. The breakfast is as described below and in particular the coffee was the worst I have ever had. The rooms are sad and gloomy. There are many better B&Bs in Corbridge, shame we didn't stay in one of them. Grounds are beautiful - the only redeeming feature.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
fylde
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here enroute to the North East. I had re- warned our late arrival. We were greeted with a curt greeting and were then promptly told to pre-order breakfast. I stated I was not keen to order then and would prefer to wait until morning but was told in no uncertain terms that I had to since breakfast was at 8.30am sharp.
Our room was ok very much in a time warp. The bathroom was ok no mildew in the shower . However the whole place was in dire need of up dating in to the 21st century, The windows had secondary glazing so the room was not exceptionally warm - we had to put the fan heater on.
Breakfast was grim - toast and tea already on our table when we went down- so it was cold. The poached eggs were over cooked . We hastily made our escape but it took ages to check out.
I would not stay here again .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank twinkle6
Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

A lovely approach up the drive, but it was all downhill from there. It seemed the staff had left and the elderly couple were bravely soldiering on themselves. Mould in the shower and on the walls, small towels which didn't dry off overnight in the damp bathroom as the rusty heated towel rail didn't work, old poly cotton bedding -none of which matched, creaky wardrobe door, ordering breakfast before 10 at night and cold toast waiting for us at 8.30. (It had to be 8.30). Poached eggs were not poached but cooked in one of those little steamer pans. Ugh! Everywhere else was fully booked - only reason to stay. Nice garden though!!!

Room Tip: Lovely view of the garden from room 1.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AliAK264
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corbridge
Langley Castle Hotel
#7 of 15 in Corbridge
The Dyvels Inn
The Dyvels Inn
#1 of 15 in Corbridge

Been to The Hayes? Share your experiences!