“Excellent service, food and view!”

Restaurant La Charbonniere
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Ancenis
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Geneva, Switzerland
“Excellent service, food and view!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband surprised my father with a lovely lunch at this great restaurant in May 2014. The service was exceptional, the waiters were friendly and respectful. They treated my father very well and even offered a birthday dessert. The dishes were very tasty and wonderfully presented. The price was very good for such wonderful service and food. We really enjoyed this special family moment having a wonderful meal overlooking the Loire. Bravo!

• Visited May 2014

Sentosa Island, Singapore
“Excellent meal and great value overlooking the Loire”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed near Saumur but wanted to meet some friends who were camping in Brittany. We picked Ancenis because it was the half way point. We did not realise Ancenis had a reputation for good food so it only by chance that ended up eating at Le Charbonniere. The three course lunch was perfect, and it was clear that the chef took pride in his work from the flavour combinations and immaculate presentation. This was an infinitely superior meal to the tourist trap restaurants up river. We had a bottle of Muscadet which was awesome: Souvais family's Jardins Secrets.

• Visited August 2013
Waterford, Ireland
“A lovely part of the world, good standard of food.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This restaurant is situated in one of my favourite parts of the world, and is located right on the Loire River. It was recommended to us by the Chambres D’Hote that we were staying in in Drain.
Unfortunately due to the time of year it was dark by the time we reached the restaurant, and were unable to fully appreciate the view onto the Loire.
We were seated at the window, and received our menus. It was quite a large restaurant, with only 3, maybe 4 tables with guests, and we were all together, which I felt was a little strange, but maybe it made for a better atmosphere.
The table settings were lovely, we were offered bread and some kind of an amuse bouche. I am being very vague here, but it was very strange, a large pot of some kind of creamy dip, and two tiny, pretty tasteless pastries.
The menu was good value, and we choose the three course, table D’Hote esque menu.
We both chose the same starter of terrine with a mushroom mille feuille.
Nicely presented, the mushrooms were full of flavour, but the terrine a little rubbery.
My main course was a disaster. Purely my own fault! I chose the Veau (Veal) and didn’t realise the y would be veal kidneys! I did taste them however, but passed them gratefully over to my husband, who gave me his Thai fillet of beef.
To be fair the dishes were nicely presented, but lacked something, but not quite sure what.
The dessert was very ordinary, but quite acceptable, the biscuit was a bit tough, but the salted caramel ice cream was lovely.
All in all, the meal was perfectly acceptable, but was quite ordinary, maybe with the sun shining off the water, and a fuller restaurant it might have made it an extraordinary experience.
Staff were lovely, if a little stand offish.

• Visited October 2012