“Awful hotel”
Review of Hotel Hirschen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elzach-Oberprechtal
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Awful hotel”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

On arrival my father(87) was put in another part of the hotel from myself. After complaining to the owner who was not happy we were put in a 2 bedroom flat which was ok, but filthy in some parts! The food was disgusting, pork every night apart from one night where we got a chicken leg and it was only a leg...Vegetarian option was spinach dumplings!! Mouldy bread at breakfast,fly in the jam and uncooked boiled eggs.Don't ever stay here. The coach driver was also cleared tables, worked in reception and he was generally unhelpful to the travellers he was responsible for, I do not know any coach driver that does this. Avoid this hotel like the plague :(.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Moira J

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Aviemore
Reviewed July 24, 2013

On arriving at our hotel after a long journey we were quite happy with our rooms . It was as we went down for our first dinner that things went downhill the food was barely edible the staff surly and not helpful. Breakfast was not much better. After two days we returned from a long hot trip to no hot water, the water was cold for twenty four hours there was no apology or explanation except a notice to say it should be fixed by the time we returned from that day,s trip. On the whole this Hotel did not meet British standards of hygiene and should not be included in Caledonian Travel tours. Also they should do away with free drinks and improve the food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Esther S

Travelers are raving about these Elzach-Oberprechtal hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This Hotel must rate as one of the worst in Germany,if not Europe.Our room was not ready at 6.15pm and when we protested we were given a one bedroom apartment at the top of three flights of narrow stairs.Next day we were told to pack by a strange male wearing what looked like pyjamas, as he wanted the flat for other guests,when we refused,he became aggressive,screaming and shouting and becoming hysterical. The Hotel was run down and grubby and the food was worse, I found mould on bread at breakfast a fly in the jam and they could not even boil eggs,when they were available they were raw or cold and hard.The food in general was badly cooked and very meagre and desserts were a joke,just a tiny dish of ice cream or instant whip. I even saw a scruffy looking male slicing meat,put his hand down the back of his trousers and scratch his backside then return to slicing the meat. DISGUSTING. The staff have obviously had no training in food handling or waiting tables and were a real motley crew who became annoyed at the slightest request and would not listen to or help anyone. Our towels weren't changed during our 5 nights and the carpets and floors looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The village is very pretty and the other shop and café owners were pleased to see us and very helpful. Overall this Hotel fails on every level.

Room Tip: don't use this Hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jean485
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and myself have just returned from a disappointing stay at this hotel. I think that National Holidays should take a look at this place before they class it as 'splendid' in their next brochure. The package advertised in the current brochure seemed to suit us very well. The journey to Hull, the P&O ferry trip and the onward journey to the hotel were all as we expected, in fact more-so on the ferry which was excellent. On arrival at the hotel, where we were expecting to stay in the hotel itself, we were ushered into the annexe. The approaches to this building are uneven and dirty, not good for anyone with an infirmity. Going back to our rooms in the dark was very difficult because the outside lights didn't come on until we got around the side of the hotel. Our room was relatively clean and a decent size but the room and the corridor outside were very cold. I discovered that the radiators in the corridor were turned off so I turned them on myself, although even at the highest point on the radiator valves the temperature of the radiators was just warm. After leaving our luggage in our room we went across to the hotel for dinner. Personally this was a farce. When we booked the holiday I had informed National Holidays that I am a fish vegetarian. My meals for the whole week were appalling. I was given a plate of noodles with one vegetable three times during the week. My last dinner there was gnocchi and swede floating in tomato sauce! I asked for some potatoes on the second noodle day only to be told that I couldn't have any because I had cheese on the noodles????? The meat-eaters had pork (in different guises) five times during the week, even on the day when they were expecting chicken! The desserts were tiny portions of either jelly, ice-cream or cherries. According to the brochure we were to have a free bar between 5pm and 9pm each night. On the first night we were told that the bar would be between 8.30pm and 10.30pm each night. A number of people took this up with the coach driver, Ray, who contacted National and later in the week the bar times were changed. Our driver Ray was very knowledgeable and a very good driver. We had terrible weather but he changed the trips around to get the best out of the drier times. The Black Forest is stunning even in the rain. We have always enjoyed our National Holiday trips but this one has left us feeling a bit cheated.

Room Tip: No point. I asked for a room in the hotel with a balcony!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank MoandTed
Newmilns, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

After reading former reviews I was unsure, how wrong was I. The accommodation is spotless, the rooms are spacious and modern, the food is good hearty German fare, you will not go hungry, it is located in a lovely scenic setting, very quite , great value from Caledonian Travel and would return, but perhaps in summer! Do not hesitate, go.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank stevieDarvel
Scotland, UK.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I travelled with my wife and a friend at New Year. Never again! Unfriendly welcome, staff in a constant state of harassment, rooms extremely cold and uncomfortable, large piece of wood covering the top of our mattress, we had to sleep upside down ( see photo), hard wooden benches to sit on for the duration of our stay, food - breakfast was a joke, grey scrambled egg?? They ran out every day which was probably a blessing, no breakfast served on New Years morning. Small portions at dinner but you couldn't eat it anyway the food was diabolical ( see photo). If you dared to complain or question you got a lecture at length, barked at you from the owner, who I may add was wearing the same costume for 4 days! Drinks - 5 star prices for low standard beverages. Naked Manikins in the toilet at the dining/function room! (See photo), the toilets were cold, unclean, smelt of urine and located next to the kitchen. We were blatantly lied to by the owner Beat - she told us there was no where else to eat in the village. On our last day we found an excellent hotel/restaurant just round the corner, we had a 1st class meal in extremely comfortable surroundings. Thank goodness we found it or we'd have been suffering from malnutrition! I could continue with many other complaints but do yourself a favour folks and give this dump a miss. Black Forrest however is beautiful and well worth a visit, just don't stay at this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank IanMScotland_UK
South wales
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I went to this hotel for New Year the rooms very very clean, staff are amazing,food was very good the only fault I had with the hotel on New Years eve day there was nowhere around to have a snack and because the hotel staff was busy getting the meals ready for New years eve they were unable to do snacks and also the bars was closed
It was not the hotels fault because there was 2 coach trips there
There was a problem on New Years Eve when they run out of deserts but that was down to the people and not the hotel some people got their deserts and then went up for more not thinking that some people had not had any at all which I thought was selfish and greedy
If I went again maybe I would get a roll or something in the shops just in case I got angry like I send the hotel was amazing it was a shame that it was not in walking distance of a town we went with New market holidays
I thought the trip was quite expense for what it was no free bar and reading other people reviews who went Christmas it cost £100 less and they had a free bar if I was to complain about the hotel it would have good if there was a free bar new year eve but that is the New Markets holiday problem not the hotel great place to stay if you enjoy walking or need to chill out

Room Tip: I had room 7 it was very big warm and showers was great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RetrosBeauty F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elzach-Oberprechtal
#3 of 3 in St. Peter im Schwarzwald
#4 of 5 in Elzach-Oberprechtal
Pension Endehof
Pension Endehof
#3 of 5 in Elzach-Oberprechtal

Been to Hotel Hirschen? Share your experiences!