“A little gem of a place with kind and attentive staff”
Review of The Kilberry Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilberry
The Kilberry Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kilberry B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“A little gem of a place with kind and attentive staff”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was a birthday treat for me from my husband and having deliberated for ages (stay at home or go abroad) I finally chose the Kilberry Inn. And I am so happy that I did. We received a warm welcome from David upon our arrival in the cosy restaurant area and were shown to our accommodation. We stayed in "Arran", a self contained bungalow and it was spotlessly clean and had lovely decoration. The bathroom was huge with a spacious shower (the toiletries in there smelled wonderful). There were home made shortbread biscuits in a jar on the table - anyone who supplies homemade baked goodies gets my vote! The food was lovely and there was a great choice - the crab cakes were just gorgeous and the king scallops delicious and the puddings - a treat. Clare packed us a picnic for our day out on Sunday and this, again, was super - with sandwiches made with home made bread, crisps, fruit, caramel wafers, juice, coffee and home made chocolate chip cookies - even the bottle opener wasn't forgotten. We also had to miss breakfast on our second day due to flight timings (boo) and so Clare organised a breakfast picnic for us. I was so happy when I discovered a slab of the fabulous chocolate brownie in there as well as a stash of home made shortbread and cookies.. I smuggled this home on the plane for my son!

This is a small place and I note there have been some not so positive reviews. But, you have to remember that although it says "Inn", it's NOT a pub - it's a restaurant with accommodation.

The area is very remote, set along a single track road with sea views all along it. It rained when we were there, but it was still a super place. It's ideally placed for lots of walks (weather permitting) and David was willing to share his local knowledge with lots of suggestions about where to go.

My only complaint - I wasn't allowed to stay forever (I would have done the washing up and cleaning!!!)

I would be delighted with the opportunity to make a return visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

First time stay at the Kilberry Inn. I went with a friend. We have a mutual interest in food, wine, birds and archaeology. There were no twin bedded rooms available so we were given a double room each at about half the room rate which was a very good deal indeed. The beds and en suite bathrooms were flawless. Had a walk to the nearby Kilberry stones before dinner. We had Botanist (Islay) gin and tonics as an aperitif. The food was superb. My Loch Fyne queenie scallops were fabulous. I had osso bucco to follow and my pal had pork belly - both of which were superb. The Italian wine recommended by host David was great and the wine list is very good value indeed. After dinner a detailed discussion of wines ensued and David let us taste an interesting Sauvignon Blanc from the man who founded Cloudy Bay which was a very nice touch. Breakfast also brilliant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed here again just after reopening for this spring. Warm welcome from David, friendly measures and the fantastic food - makes it so difficult to choose. Kilberry team don't put a foot wrong, well worth the slight detour.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank privatewire
Argyll
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Last Sunday evening I enjoyed an excellent meal at the Kilberry Inn, just after it opened for the new season. The queenie scallops with a five spice dressing were mouth-watering. I followed this with the very tender Kilberry lamb tagine which Clare had prepared so carefully before a delicately flavoured crème brulee accompanied by a compote of rhubarb. David's hospitable welcome and wine recommendation were first class. I understand that the restaurant is often fully booked with people travelling great distances to sample such fine cuisine and west coast hospitality, so I shall book soon for a further visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ArgyllTraveller007
Grantown on Spey
Reviewed November 26, 2013

If you are looking for somewhere to escape to with comfy beds, great showers, amazing food and virtually no phone signal this is the place for you.

We have now been three times and can't fault it at all. The service front of house is exceptional, informal, friendly but professional and the food that comes out of the kitchen is of the highest quality that the local larder of fresh seafood, piggy, chicken etc can provide.

Go there! Don't be put off by the long road out to them, what awaits at the end is worth every mile of single track road!

Room Tip: Use Kilberry Inn as a base to explore the local area. It is not a hotel, it is a restaurant with ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
fife
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Who would have thought such a wonderful place would exist in such an isolated but spectacular position?

We have just returned from an overnight stay and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. We stayed in "Arran" which had a lovely wee sitting room, had fantastic dinner and breakfast with beautiful food. David was a great host and nothing was too much trouble for him - we hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Ask for "Arran" so that you get the sitting room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our second stay at Kilberry and again it was a relaxed experience which left us feeling thoroughly spoiled. David is a wonderful host - attentive, charming and knowledgable. Our room was very comfortable with great wet shower room. The food was fabulous. A special on our night was lobster caught in a loch nearby. A whole lobster which was cooked simply and tasted divine! Our daughter and son in law had arranged some champagne for us which we enjoyed in the courtyard and made the most of the sunshine. Hope to be back before too long.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilberry
Anchor Hotel
#3 of 4 in Tarbert
Cairnbaan Hotel
Cairnbaan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cairnbaan

Been to The Kilberry Inn? Share your experiences!