All reviewssingle track roadhomemade shortbreadscallopscrab cakeslocally sourced foodhost davidthe sticky toffee puddinglovely drivethe perfect hostworth the effortfabulous foodlocal knowledgeoff the beaten trackmain coursean overnight stayfeel very welcomeopen fire
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stopped here overnight on a cycling tour of Argyllshire and it was one of the high spots of our trip. The rooms are very cosy, comfortable and well-equipped, if various converted buildings at the rear of the single story building, the restaurant was exceptional with exquisite food and excellent hospitable service, drawing the guests into a convivial evening ending with a discussion and tasting of local whisky, provoked by the distillers staying there that night for a family celebration.
Breakfast was equally good and the atmosphere and comfort of the restaurant was perfect. We'll go back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a great find, tucked away along a windy road, but worth the trip. A beautiful setting, and the restaurant decor is warm and inviting, great attention to detail. We were fortunate that it was a lovely sunny day and we could sit outside, but I have dined inside too and it is just as pleasant. The crab cakes were divine and the mussels delicious. It is a little pricey, but worth it for a treat. They run a small B & B, and I would love to stay one day as I am sure the whole experience would be lovely.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Kilberry Inn more than met our expectations. Set amidst beautiful scenery in an area rich in archaeology and history it more than rewards the trip along the winding single lane access road. We drove from Glasgow using two ferries to cross Arran and had a drive of less than an hour to reach South Knapdale.
David is a very good and well informed host. From our welcome to our departure he was friendly and helpful. We stayed for two days and nights for dinner, bed and breakfast. Our accommodation was completely satisfactory and very comfortable. Bedrooms are in separate old but attractively modernised cottages - good large shower and washing facilities, comfortable bed, very clean and well decorated in good condition. Could not be more quiet and peaceful! We enjoyed the fact that we had to walk a very short distance to the bar / dinning room. Fitted the atmosphere appropriate to living in a Scottish clachan and gave great privacy.
We loved the food in the restaurant. As far as we were concerned our breakfast was appropriate and appetising. By choice we eschewed the temptations of nuts, cereal etc. and selected porridge and eggs with soldiers and excellent coffee. The home baked soda bread was particularly notable. (Whilst exploring locally we met Fiona collecting the eggs for the breakfast!). Many guests will come simply for the dinner menu. Interesting imaginative and subtle. As might be expected the fish proved specially delicious. The several log fires and stoves in the refurbished but original traditional stone and wood dining rooms were very atmospheric and welcome in autumn.
A very satisfactory experience. I am sure the my ancestor Archibald McTaggart who lived in these parts around 1861never knew such comforts! We will be back...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DDonSco
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Been meaning to go to the Kilberry Inn for a while but since I live 130 miles away it takes a bit of planning! A family of 5 we went for lunch. So glad we did. I was a bit apprehensive that my slightly fussy kids would be struggling to eat anything. I needn't have worries. Clean plates all round. The 2 older ones had a perfectly cooked Ribeye. My youngest decided he wanted a starter and a main course. He has the parsnip and Parmesan soup with prosciutto. He enjoyed this followed by some delightful smoked salmon with some home made bread. The all had an enormous sticky toffee pudding with home made vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure how they finished it all but they were polished off. My husband had a Rillette of pork as a starter and I had crab cakes which were scrummy. We both had the local king scallops with puy lentils and lardons. It was very tasty with my only though I would have liked it to be a bit wetter. The scallops were perfectly cooked and really big. My husband squeezed in a chocolate creme caramel which he enjoyed. We had soft drinks and bottle of Picpoul. A thoroughly enjoyable trip. The views along the drive there and back were breathtaking and we saw a few seals along the way which the children loved. I would definitely return.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed a couple of nights at the Kilberry Inn some years ago and were delighted with the whole experience. Recently we decided on a revisit with the hope (and expectation) that the stay would be as successful. It was!

We had booked in for a night’s dinner bed and breakfast and enjoyed the drive down the tortuous single-track road to the Inn. The rooms are a reasonable size, comfortable without being unduly luxurious. This is, after all, a restaurant with rooms.

Dinner in the evening was fully up to expectation. Proprietor David, assisted by one waitress, was as helpful, knowledgeable and chatty as ever. Efficiency without formality is the style here. The menu is limited to a choice of about 5 or 6 items for each course, which seems about right for a quality restaurant. Presentation, flavour and quantity was just as good as one might expect from a restaurant with a Michelin Bib Gourmand and the whole dining experience was a delight in the cosy dining space. A very minor criticism is that for the deserts the quantities were, if anything, too large to be elegant.

New visitors to the Kilberry Inn should be aware that the four rooms are separate from the restaurant so a quick dash is needed in inclement weather. There is also little or no ‘bar space’ so a move immediately to table is required on arrival. But, hey, this is one of the most remote restaurants in Scotland and booking is always advisable and frequently essential, so it must be good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple