All reviewssingle track roadhomemade shortbreadscallopscrab cakeslocally sourced foodhost davidthe sticky toffee puddinglovely drivethe perfect hostworth the effortwine listfabulous foodlocal knowledgeoff the beaten trackmain coursefeel very welcomean overnight stay
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Kilberry Inn more than met our expectations. Set amidst beautiful scenery in an area rich in archaeology and history it more than rewards the trip along the winding single lane access road. We drove from Glasgow using two ferries to cross Arran and had a drive of less than an hour to reach South Knapdale.
David is a very good and well informed host. From our welcome to our departure he was friendly and helpful. We stayed for two days and nights for dinner, bed and breakfast. Our accommodation was completely satisfactory and very comfortable. Bedrooms are in separate old but attractively modernised cottages - good large shower and washing facilities, comfortable bed, very clean and well decorated in good condition. Could not be more quiet and peaceful! We enjoyed the fact that we had to walk a very short distance to the bar / dinning room. Fitted the atmosphere appropriate to living in a Scottish clachan and gave great privacy.
We loved the food in the restaurant. As far as we were concerned our breakfast was appropriate and appetising. By choice we eschewed the temptations of nuts, cereal etc. and selected porridge and eggs with soldiers and excellent coffee. The home baked soda bread was particularly notable. (Whilst exploring locally we met Fiona collecting the eggs for the breakfast!). Many guests will come simply for the dinner menu. Interesting imaginative and subtle. As might be expected the fish proved specially delicious. The several log fires and stoves in the refurbished but original traditional stone and wood dining rooms were very atmospheric and welcome in autumn.
A very satisfactory experience. I am sure the my ancestor Archibald McTaggart who lived in these parts around 1861never knew such comforts! We will be back...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DDonSco
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Been meaning to go to the Kilberry Inn for a while but since I live 130 miles away it takes a bit of planning! A family of 5 we went for lunch. So glad we did. I was a bit apprehensive that my slightly fussy kids would be struggling to eat anything. I needn't have worries. Clean plates all round. The 2 older ones had a perfectly cooked Ribeye. My youngest decided he wanted a starter and a main course. He has the parsnip and Parmesan soup with prosciutto. He enjoyed this followed by some delightful smoked salmon with some home made bread. The all had an enormous sticky toffee pudding with home made vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure how they finished it all but they were polished off. My husband had a Rillette of pork as a starter and I had crab cakes which were scrummy. We both had the local king scallops with puy lentils and lardons. It was very tasty with my only though I would have liked it to be a bit wetter. The scallops were perfectly cooked and really big. My husband squeezed in a chocolate creme caramel which he enjoyed. We had soft drinks and bottle of Picpoul. A thoroughly enjoyable trip. The views along the drive there and back were breathtaking and we saw a few seals along the way which the children loved. I would definitely return.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed a couple of nights at the Kilberry Inn some years ago and were delighted with the whole experience. Recently we decided on a revisit with the hope (and expectation) that the stay would be as successful. It was!

We had booked in for a night’s dinner bed and breakfast and enjoyed the drive down the tortuous single-track road to the Inn. The rooms are a reasonable size, comfortable without being unduly luxurious. This is, after all, a restaurant with rooms.

Dinner in the evening was fully up to expectation. Proprietor David, assisted by one waitress, was as helpful, knowledgeable and chatty as ever. Efficiency without formality is the style here. The menu is limited to a choice of about 5 or 6 items for each course, which seems about right for a quality restaurant. Presentation, flavour and quantity was just as good as one might expect from a restaurant with a Michelin Bib Gourmand and the whole dining experience was a delight in the cosy dining space. A very minor criticism is that for the deserts the quantities were, if anything, too large to be elegant.

New visitors to the Kilberry Inn should be aware that the four rooms are separate from the restaurant so a quick dash is needed in inclement weather. There is also little or no ‘bar space’ so a move immediately to table is required on arrival. But, hey, this is one of the most remote restaurants in Scotland and booking is always advisable and frequently essential, so it must be good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gorbscot
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I have been to the kilberry inn twice this year and thoughly enjoy the whole experience both times, David is very friendly and hospitable and the food...well its just to die for. The kilberry inn has a wonderfully relaxed an welcoming atmosphere and my husband and I cannot wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

September weekend Sunday 23/09/2012 and I decide to go out for a motorcycle run.
Where will I go? I don't know, so I head West and North anyway. Then I have a flash of inspiration.
"The Kilberry Inn". I'll go there. I've heard it's really good and a colleague has recommended it also for the views.
I ride from Glasgow all the way there without stopping and navigate the last 16 miles of twisty gravelly single track road without incident.
I arrive at the Inn at 2:15pm. There aren't really any views from the Inn but I go in anyway and see a couple of ladies still eating. I ask the Patron if I can eat and the conversation goes something like this:-
Me: Are you still open?
Patron: We're only open for drinks.
Me: I'm looking for something to eat.
Patron: we only serve food between 12 and 2.
Me:It's only quarter past, I'm not looking for much.
Patron: we only serve food between 12 and 2.
Me:Can you do me anything?. A sandwich perhaps?
Patron: we only serve food between 12 and 2.
Me: I've just ridden all the way here from Glasgow.
Patron: we only serve food between 12 and 2.
Me: Are you going to send me back to Glasgow with nothing to eat?
Patron: we only serve food between 12 and 2.
Me: OK Never mind. I can't say I'll be recommending this restaurant to anyone.
Patron: we only serve food between 12 and 2.
So I left and went up to the cafe at the nearby caravan park. Now this cafe was also closed by the time I got there but they offered me tea and sandwiches, which I gratefully accepted.
The Kilberry Inn may have great food, I don't know, but they one thing I do know, the owner/Patron successfully put me off ever going there again or recommending his establishment to anyone else. In fact, I'd recommend they avoid it.
This establishment is typical of the dreadful level of service which blights Scotland's tourist industry.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo