Mantis & Moon Backpackers Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Umzumbe
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Oribi Gorge Hotel(Port Shepstone)
  • Breakfast included
St Michaels Sands Hotel(St. Michael's on Sea)
HillBillion Estate(Shelly Beach)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Lynton Hall(Pennington)
View Hotel
All reviewsyoga studiosouth africaminute walkroad tripcold beerback packersamazing yogagreat baronly thing i would changebeautiful surroundingsanother guestgorgeous glasspalm treesall sortsbar area iswell stocked bardouble ensuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights as I was travelling on the bazbus and it didn't run the next day, but as soon as I got here I wanted to leave. Rooms are dark and dingy and the bedding looks like it has never been washed, and you don't even have to get close to realise it absolutely stinks. I have backpacked all over the world and this has to be the dirtiest hostel I've stayed in. I had to sleep in my sleeping bag liner!!
They also rip you off, this hostel is advertised as 100rand but when I checked out they told me it would be 120rand a night, considering every other hostel I stayed at in South Africa has been nice and clean and only charged 100-110rand a night, this was a complete rip off.
I have never been so happy to leave somewhere, the first night I could hardly sleep due to the smell of the beds stinking out the room, I cannot put into words how disgusting it is!
The internet here is also a complete rip off, 60rand an hour on an ancient computer.
Take it from me, do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed January 4, 2010

i loved it beautiful settings and great hospitality,it is a lovely 10 minute walk to the beach,i loved it there.It is also great for kids.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The hostel is in a quiet residential neighborhood, about a 10 minute walk from a beautiful beach with a surf break. We stayed in a double room – which was a small one room cottage/shack, big enough for a double bed and room to walk around it, but little space for luggage. It was dark, damp and smelled like it had mold issues, not surprising given the rain forest like setting. The porch was small but large enough for two to sit on. We had one meal from them – a braai dinner, which was basic but good and filling. The bar was funky and cozy and a nice place to have a drink and socialize. The pool area was neat though the pool wasn’t well taken care of (not a surprise given their incompetent staff - not including the Zulu staff, they were wonderful!). The kitchen was open and airy and relatively functional, but small. The big issue with the kitchen is that the staff uses it to make the evening meal for everyone at the hostel. This made it a bit crowded if you want to cook when they do. More annoying is the fact that the evening hostel staff doesn’t actually do the dishes that night. They leave them there, occupying much of the kitchen and blocking the sink, for the unfortunate morning staff, making it rather cumbersome to cook your own meal. All this said, the dampness and size of the room and the mess in the kitchen could be forgiven as one can’t expect much at 240 Rand a night however; the staff are absolutely useless (excluding the ones that clean the place during the day and cook the staff meals). We left wondering what exactly most of them DID, aside from getting completely drunk, playing loud music till the wee hours of the morning and screwing up guest’s bills because they were too hung over.

I will say that our first night there was okay. We went to bed to the sound of loud music from the bar figuring we could handle it until 11 pm (there are signs all over the place stating that people must be quiet after 11 pm). Sure enough the music was shut off and we managed to get good nights sleep. Our second night was a disaster. The music was relentless and loud and kept us awake until 3am. We left our room twice to use the bathroom, once at 2 am when we bumped into two drunken staff stumbling back to their shack. I asked them to have the bar turn the music down, full well knowing they probably wouldn’t (and they didn’t). Then my husband got up at 3 am and bumped into another drunken stumbling staff member. The next morning we were too exhausted to get up and surf. We were also too angry to stay. We had originally planned to use the M&M as our base for the area and to organize our activities through them. After such a terrible night we decided it was worth the extra money to stay somewhere actually run by adults! To top it off, just as we were leaving I noticed the staff table had several bottles of lice-remover shampoo on it (and saw a staffer take one to the dorm room she was staying in) – lovely! We will forever call it the lice and luna and we will never return.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alexa22
Reviewed December 9, 2009

This is one of the best backpackers I ever stayed in. It is situated in a pretty boring place, but the backpackers makes you feel like you're in the jungle, especially if you stay in one of the treehuts.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2009

5 of us were travelling back from an amazing holiday in Mozambique and we needed a place to stay for the night, so based on a reccommendation from a friend we called Mantis and Moon, booked in and spent the night. From the moment we arrived there was very much a could care less attitude, everything seemed like a mission, we were too late to put our names down for dinner, after umming and awing for a while they said they had enough food (the food was good). We stayed in a dorm, and someone else belongings were inside, we were told they would be removed but they werent. There was no interest in who we were and even trying to pay the night before departing (because we were leaving early and noone would be awake) seemed to annoy them. It really is such a beautifull setting and has everything one would want from a backpackers point of view - but as for "service with a smile" we were left very very dissapointed.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends