“Very cosy Backpackers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantis & Moon Backpackers Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Umzumbe
Mantis & Moon Backpackers Lodge
Hamburg, Germany
“Very cosy Backpackers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Mantis & Moon Backpackers is a nice place for Surfers, because you are very close to a beautiful Beach with good waves.

The staff ist always friendly and helpful.

The backpackers is build up like a jungle camp. Everything is handmade with love to details. Sadly, Our dobble bed room was very small.

If you like a cosy and crazy Place with a Hippie athmosphere- you will Love it.
If you like very convenient and clean rooms - choose another hostel.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
jirnsum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had an amazing time at Mantis and Moon! Very open and friendly people. I became one of them during the time i was there. I felt very welcome and because i traveled alone it was extra nice they payed attention to me.
It was if i entered a fairy tail in the jungle in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful cottages everywhere with a swimming pool, bar, chill room, fireplace and the walk to the beach in 2 minutes. While you're laying on your back next to the swimming pool enjoying your cocktail, the monkeys are jumping above you.......
Some evenings they had theme nights. You could enjoy the party or chilling in the jacuzzi. Or just sit around the fire place. Watching the stars.
During the day they bring you to excursions also (if there are enough people).
I did the jump from a waterfall. Very cool!

I really had the time of my life, and because of that i went back to mantis and Moon 6 months later to work there for a month. And i tried to give the guests the same feeling as i had when i was there.

I really would recommend this place!

Greets Kim

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kim r
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is set in Umzumbe, but its a little hidden piece of paradise! All the times (and there has been a few- as its a 'go-again' type of place) I have felt nothing but at home, with friendly staff superb accommodation. With the right kind of vibe, and the sea just a 2 min walk away..what could be better? I will sure make my way there again!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the bar area is quieter if you want to rest instead of socialize
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The backpackers is very homey and was a nice break in our trip from Durban to Coffee Bay. The hostel has a great vibe and the staff are very friendly and great to have a beer or two with. The bed was comfy and everything was clean. They have a kitchen so you can cook your own food, but if you haven't brought your own with you you will have to take their shuttle as the local shop only seems to stock bananas and packet soup.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Rooms were dark and dingy with one tiny mirror in the bathroom. No fan and we had the "best" room. No towels, not even a hand towel! Sheets were old and looked like they hadn't been washed. My pillow STANK. Staff seemed to be there to have a party and when I asked for a cocktail at the bar (they advertised six different kinds on a chalkboard), the barman told me he didn't know how to make them and that cocktails weren't his speciality. I ordered a Savana Dry instead, and when I asked for a slice of lemon with it, he rolled his eyes and said they didn't have any. You'd swear I had asked for caviar and champagne!
The setting and scenery of the place is beautiful and it has so much potential, but it desperately needs to sort out the cleanliness issue.
We paid R540.00 for our room and I don't think we got great value at all. You could pay that to stay at a clean b&b with towels and clean linen. I seriously couldn't wait to leave because I felt so dirty and grubby. Our room was the best on offer and in a treehouse, which sounds great, except we were right next to the bar which pumped loud music until 3am.
The one thing possibly saving this place is the carefree backpacker/traveller vibe, but I fear that if they continue ripping people off, they will lose that clientele too.
The only fond memory we have of The Mantis and Moon was seeing it in our rear view mirror as we drove away.

• Stayed January 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

This place is obviously run by, well, nobody!! Staff don't care about anything . The place is dirty beyond belief. You are paying B&B prices R540 per night for a double room. Not worth R100. I would have preferred to sleep in my car. At least the party that lasted till 3am would not have kept me awake!!!

AVOID AVOID AVOID !!!! Seriously AVOID !!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Abainborough
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visited Mantis and Moon again after a year and it delivered as always. It really is a hidden gem that I think a lot of people miss! The place is in a little jungle. I love all the chill out areas, hammocks, sun loungers etc and as usual we had a great night in the bar. My only suggestion would be fans in the rooms, it was incredibly hot when we were there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umzumbe
Umzumbe Surf House & Surf Camp
#4 of 5 in Umzumbe
Pumula Surf Camp
Pumula Surf Camp
#2 of 5 in Umzumbe

Been to Mantis & Moon Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!