“Most enjoyable and lovely service!”
Review of The Gateway Hotel

The Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Swinford
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great room, excellent value for money and very friendly service. Cahel was a great host, with nothing too much trouble, and he is clearly the "can do" driving force behind the front of house business. We shall definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

consistently the best carvery without doubt.5 star meals for under a tenner.no waiting.prompt service and nice atmosphere.beef or lamb to die for.dinner available for takeaways in foil cartons.we have only eaten here.we have not stayed so we dont know what the rooms are like.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here this week. Right in the centre of town. Reception staff very nice and helpful. Had a drink and food in the bar. Always nice to be offered a menu and another drink in a hotel I think. All round would say it was a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Gateway S, Manager at The Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your generous review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.We have been putting a big effort in since we took back over the hotel in September and we are delighted that so many people are giving us positive feedback like yourself. Thanks again for taking the time to give us a review and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times and each time has been perfect.
The rooms are gorgeous & the beds extremely comfortable. We have had Bar Food on each occasion which was delicious. Staff are very friendly and the hotel overall is cosy. I will defiantly be back

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your generous review. I am delighted you enjoyed your staywith us.We have been putting a big effort in since we took back over the hotel in September and we are delighted that so many people are giving us positive feedback like yourself. Thanks again for taking the time to give us a review and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just had an extremely enjoyable meal in the Gateway Hotel. What a very pleasant experience. The meal was excellent, and served by a waitress who was extremely helpful and pleasant. Overall very enjoyable, highly recommended. Very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your generous review. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us.We have been putting a big effort into our food since we took back over the hotel in September and we are delighted that so many people are giving us positive feedback like yourself. Thanks again for taking the time to give us a review and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you are looking for a great carvery lunch at the right price this the venue for you. Cathal is helpful and hospitable and willing to help people in every way possible. The hotel has a large function room where I have attended a few events which have always been good

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mayotom79
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Firstly apologise for the delay in the review of our experience at the Gateway originally another person from our party group and I wrote separate emails to the Manager (sent on the 3rd of July) unfortunately we never got a reply. When coming across trip advisor I decided to post my review

On the first of June 2012 I booked a table for seven people for a special birthday meal for my mum I requested that the meal would be served in the small room restaurant, as we didn’t wish to eat in the bar area. As like there website states “For a more formal experience, enjoy a succulent meal in our dining room”.

We have previously have had a retirement party at the hotel, a couple of anniversary meals and two special birthday meals previous to the meal on the 1st of June and as such I was confident this meal would be as enjoyable as previous ones.

Unfortunately it was disappointing, to say the least. On taking our order a starter was missing and the person had to wait while one was prepared, the soup was luke warm and I think the absolute insult that accompanied the soup was the stale brown soda bread (it was as hard as a brick) we asking the waiter if they had any bread rolls they returned with just four bread rolls (they weren’t much better). The garlic mushrooms were nice but sadly there was no dressing/sauce to accompany them and it looked rather sad with a few lettuce leaves and a slice tomato, not acceptable for a hotel restaurant. The main meal, major issues with this course was one guest asked for a roast dinner they was served a piece of gammon two scoops of mash potatoes and cabbage (basically bacon and cabbage) this does not represent a roast dinner in my view. Two guests ordered steak well done and they certainly were well charred, the other meals were just adequate. Those who indulged in dessert mainly had a baileys cheesecake, tasting it I don’t believe was prepared on the premises and it tasted processed. At no time were we asked if we wanted to order wine or drinks, any drinks we required we had to attend the bar ourselves.

Another private function was taking place in the other function room and whatever attention was given to customers that evening it certainly was evident it wasn’t shown to us.

We have had family members who came long distances to attend the meal and I feel embarrassed for the poor delivery of food and service that night. I decided with other family members not to make a formal complaint that evening as I didn’t want to ruin the entire night for my mum but felt I needed to make them aware so I emailed the manager, and was rather disappointed that I never got a response. Meals we have had their previously have been enjoyable and a good value for money “the Gateway Hotel, Swinford we pride ourselves on our friendly and professional service, along with our excellent home cooked food at very reasonable prices” On this occasion I am afraid that the hotel failed to provide this service as stated on the website.
Sadly very disappointing

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna L
Gateway S, Owner at The Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Hi,
Firstly on behalf of everyone here at The Gateway Hotel, Swinford I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you for the experience you had here. Our Hotel has recently undergone a change in ownership on September the 14th last. I have taken over management of the hotel since that date and also we have a new head chef here now as well that would not have been here at the time of your party. I pride myself in offering a top service here in the Gateway Hotel, Swinford and can promise you should you book any future family occassions here with us you will have a very different experience from your one in July.Please feel free to contact me here at the Hotel at any time. You can get me on 00353 94 9252156 or at cathalkelly@gatewayswinford.com.
Owner
The Gateway Hotel,
Swinford,
Co. Mayo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swinford
Cill Aodain Court Hotel
#2 of 9 in Castlebar
The Mayfly Hotel
The Mayfly Hotel
#1 of 2 in Foxford

Been to The Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!