“Mini break”

Errigal Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cootehill
Reviewed November 13, 2013

First impression, very good. The grounds were in super condition and we were not disappointed when we went into the hotel. Very pleasing decor, spacious and the receptionist was very courteous.
We had a delux room which was very large, well appointed and with a balcony. We dined in the hotel and the food was excellent. Overall a lovely dining experience in lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having read great reviews on TA, and wanting to search family roots in Co Cavan we chose this hotel.

What a Disaster Dahling! (as said by Craig from Strictly).

On arrival it felt cold in the very large foyer but just thought ,well it was cold outside. We were greeted friendly enough by reception but we have had far more pleasant welcomes elsewhere.
Rooms are all on the first floor and there is a lift. (positive point)
We reached room 203 a large room with double and single beds and immediately said 'gosh its really dark, put the light on.' Lo and behold No main room light was there, only dull bedside lights and one free standing. The room was so dark and it was only 4pm in October not December!
We knew there was no point in asking for another room as we were told they were fully booked. The room also was pretty chilly but we found an electric heater and switched it on. It was ok. There was an air con unit but did not use it for fear of cold air expelling out.

Positive things:The bathroom was large with shower over bath and towels were fluffy and wrapped around the waist!There was wi fi available in the room which came on easily.

We prepared for dinner and went downstairs. We seemed to be the only residents!!
We found the bar and decided to eat there rather than the restaurant where we felt we would be dining alone! There were a few people in the bar but again the area seemed cool. Service was slow -which does not match other reviews!
We chose the roast of the day and sweet chilli wrap which honestly was not 4Star food. The cheese board we had was however very tasty with unusual Tipperary cheeses. We told the waitress it was cold in the area and she replied 'Oh yes we have had a problem all day !!! Surely etiquette from reception ( who knew) would have been" we are having a problem with our heating so bare with us" and I would have worn another layer!!!
We decided we could not stay 2 nights as arranged as it did not meet our expectations. We told the receptionist, who did not apologise for the cold or questioned why we did not want to stay longer. However she did come and ask would we like the heat on in our room!! We accepted and yes it was much warmer on our return. This should have been offered earlier!
The bed was not comfy, the reading lights would not adjust and why do hotels insist on rubber mattress protectors?
Breakfast was good -individually cooked and another positive yeah- it served Cranberry Juice!
( not always available in 4 stars). On checking out the lady behind the desk went to get duty manager Aideen as we questioned having to pay the full price for a 1 night stay in the hotel which did not give us the service we desired. We were told that we could have been charged for leaving early! We did not cancel our stay merely cutting it short because we were not enjoying it . Why should we have had to pay more!! We did pay the 90 euro together with the bar bill but were not pleased with the attitude and service we were given ,hence this review.

I was so disappointed as I was so looking forward to a pleasant stay in a 4 star?? hotel.
Perhaps if you stay in an executive suite in the summer or are attending a wedding ,the Errigal would be a different place. A wedding was due to take place later and they sadly seemed more geared to this than individual guests.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 203, It must be the darkest room in the hotel.
3  Thank bangorgirl51
ManagementErrigal, Owner at Errigal Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, which is genuinely important to us in evaluating the service and facilites of our hotel
Here at Errigal Country Houes Hotel We receive many positive comments and we are very disappointed to hear that you felt let down with some aspests of your stay
All our bedrooms are designed in warm –toned softly lit and can be described as a quiet , private haven where you can unwind kick back and disappear from the wider world
Our rooms are fitted with two types of heating, electric heat which will turn on when you insert key card , also a modern air/con system with step by step instruction on how to use in room I in information book and wiil quickly heat room to very a comfortable level .I feel your comments was ufair as you did not turn on the heating ( air /con.)
I am glad to here that you were pleased with our bathroom and wifi facilities
I apologise if the heating was not to your liking in the bar, This was brought to my attention later that evening I checked the heating in bar and found that it was at a comfortable level of 21c* I turned up the heating to 25c*
I t was disheartening to read that the cuisine on offer did not live up to your expectations As you can see from our recent reviews. We only use the best quality and freshest produce available. Bord Bia approved suppliers. For all our meat products. We also employ the best chefs to prepare and cook the food to the highest standard. I was please to read that you were happy with our cheese board and Breakfast
I am very sorry that you felt you could not stay 2 nights as arranged and our hotel was not to the usual high standard of customer care associated with Errigal Country House Hotel I hope you will accept my apology. All our guests are important to us and I hope that some day we have the opportunity to restore your faith in Errigal Country House Hotel
Kind Regards
Pat Kelly
Owner

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Staff were second to none, food was excellent, room was clean bright and warm. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Modern decor and easy going atmosphere provided an excellent place for a relaxing break. Executive suite was tremendous.

Room Tip: Executive Suite well worth the extra few quid.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The room was clean but the ground in stains on the bedroom carpet left a very poor first impression!! Personally I'm not a fan of the heavy duty bed linen either.There was a good choice of options on the inclusive dinner menu and the quality and quantity received was superb. The staff were friendly and the overall decor of the hotel was impressive and provided an inviting & relaxing ambience. Just needs a few tweaks but well worth a stay.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Quite a nice hotel,modern and bright. Nice and quiet. we stayed in a deluxe room, very clean and comfortable. it is a lot further from Cavan town than we thought, but the receptionist helped us to sort a taxi.
Food in the restaurant was lovely, but we got a room service meal that wasn't so good.
What makes this hotel is its staff. Everyone of them are professional and friendly, they made us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank irishtravellerxx
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in one of the excecutive suites as part of a package, the room was beautifully decorated and very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly and excellent food. Had a really pleasent and relaxing weekend, will without doubt be staying here again.

1  Thank ed16192
Reviewed September 30, 2013

There is a lot that is good and very nice about this hotel, i.e. helpful staff, excellent food, beautiful and very contemporary décor downstairs, comfortable, clean bedroom, nice bathroom.

What I was disappointed in was: not being offered a different room immediately when I told the receptionist about not being able to get RTE 1 and TV 3 on the t.v. She suggested that this might be similar in all rooms. Much later on (8pm) I was offered a change when I mentioned the very poor lighting in the room (standard lamp without a plug! Table lamp not working; no ceiling light over the bed, nor was there a functioning reading light). However, at this stage I was loathe to move everything. The receptionist did send someone up to fix the table lamp.

I was also very disappointed that I could not access Wifi anywhere in the hotel that evening, though it is, apparently, available.

On trying to settle to sleep, I was aware of a very loud machine outside my window, possibly an a/c machine, and on ringing reception to see when it might shut down for the night, the night porter couldn't tell me. Again (11.30pm) I was offered a move; the machine shut down at 23.35hrs.

All in all, I'm not sure I would return as I feel I couldn't trust that I would have a trouble-free stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the front of the hotel if you want to get to sleep before 11.30pm!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mollie1961
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cootehill
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
#2 of 2 in Virginia
Hotel Kilmore
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan

Been to Errigal Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!