“Midweek stay.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cootehill
Dublin, Ireland
“Midweek stay.”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here through a great deal on lidl breaks. Got an amazing deal, so good in fact I didn't really expect much. I was pleasantly surprised. Service was top class and the room was excellent. Then came the food at the bar. Again I didn't expect much due to the deal I got but I couldn't have been more wrong...it was top drawer.
The only down side is that the spa that is on site is not part of your stay. You have to pay extra. I didn't mind this, but they market the spa like its part of the deal. It should be explained that its private and separate to the hotel. Other than that, had a lovely time in a beautiful hotel with great staff.

1 Thank Stephen L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in the Errigal County House Hotel for one night and it was absolutely beautiful. We booked a package that included champagne & chocolate in our room on arrival, dinner and breakfast. chocolates were beautiful handmade chocolates (made in Cavan which I was very impressed by!). The dinner and breakfast were both beautiful and without fault. The room and bathroom were both beautifully decorated, very comfortable and clean. Definately the best nights sleep I ever had in a hotel. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We would both definately go back to this hotel!!

Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed here twice on attending two weddings. Hospitality was as expected and service on reception was good. Food was good, although hat one the starter was cold at the time it reached our table. Overall though food was tasty.

Hotel itself is clean and fresh; rooms are modern, spacious and have all mod cons. On our second stay we were staying in a suite and the shower was great. On both instances the rooms were freezing on arrival, where I didn’t even leave my coat in the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Unar123
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

First a warning for overseas visitors to the Republic of Ireland. Errigal (like all too many hotels and restaurants in the Republic of Ireland) operates what I consider to be an insidious practice of automatically converting credit card payments to the customer's base currency at a rate of exchange determined by the hotel. This practice is known in the card payment industry as dynamic currency conversion. In a sense, the hotel is acting as a Bureau de Change. It does not however prominently display a notice informing clients of this practice nor does it inform clients of today's rate so that they could make an informed choice of whether they wish to avail themselves of this unsolicited currency exchange service.

When travelling abroad, I pride myself on always using credit cards and ATM cards that get me perfect exchange rates without any fees. Having gone to such trouble with my banking arrangements, I do not want to have my efforts frustrated by this practice. In my reasonably extensive experience, Ireland is the worst place for this.

I explained to Errigal's staff at the checkout that I wanted to pay my bill in euros and to their credit they were very helpful in guiding me through the process of navigating the payment terminal to reject the currency converted amount and obtain the correct euro amount prior to entering my authorisation pin. The process was very complicated and I could not have done this without their expert knowledge and assistance.

Service from the hotel's staff was excellent throughout our stay. We were attending a wedding reception and it is sometimes the case at other venues that there is a shortage of bar staff and service suffers. Service at Errigal's bars, in the dining room and at reception was excellent throughout our stay.

This part of western Europe was suffering exceptionally cold weather for spring and the large area which runs from the main door, through reception and onto a lounge could have done with a bit more heating. The temperature was not helped by doors off this area being left open by guests going out outside to smoke.

The temperature in our room was fine when we retired though others we spoke to afterwards were less fortunate. The heating in the rooms is active only when a room key card is inserted in a slot by the door. Fortunately, we had two keys and had left one deliberately in the slot during our stay.

Our room was good with a powerful shower over the bath. Our co-travellers had a problem with a jammed temperature dial in their room and had a choice of a cold shower or no shower. The hotel's maintenance staff were quick to rectify the problem during breakfast but I fear this was too late for them.

Mass catering for a wedding party is never easy and the hotel's kitchen did a reasonable job. Service was very good and attentive. Seconds were offered to those who wanted them.

Breakfast was very good and service again was excellent.

The hotel has a very pleasant country setting. There was plenty of on-site parking. The wireless internet was free and had extensive coverage.

All in all, a good stay in a hotel that copes well with the challenges of accommodating large wedding parties.

My TomTom had different coordinates to the hotel's web site (currently Latitude 54.065634, Longitude -7.098285) and the hotel's management may need to check these.

1 Thank MeMonster
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked the Errigal Country House hotel for our wedding on 15th March 2013. The Hotel Management and staff were excellent. Bernie made sure everything was in order and was a great help on the day. The Foye and Function rooms are decorated beautifully. The 5 course meal was excellent with so many of our guests full of compliments of the food, with loads of seconds to go around also. The service for the meal was really fast and the staff were very friendly. The overall package was great value for the service we recieved. Around 2am, I asked the head barman about the residence bar and he said it will be open as long as you and your guests want. The Bridal Suite was lovely and I also have to mention the breakfast the next morning, it was brilliant and it really put the icing on the cake. Overall, I couldn't recommend the Hotel highly enough and if your getting married don't think about it, just book the hotel and you won't regret it.
Regards,
Daragh

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daragh03
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights recently on a business trip. The hotel is about 3 mins drive from Cootehill. I had no issues with the hotel itself - clean, friendly staff, nice bar, big rooms. However on the fri night there was a wedding in the hotel. At 4am there was loud banging on my door as 2 intoxicated and lost male guests tried to get into what they thought was their room. Eventually they realised that their room was 209 and not 207. Once they got into their room a violent fighter started with the guys already in the room. The whole thing lasted about an hour with the night porter threatening to call the police. I guess it's not fair to blame the hotel for Irish drinking culture. I got a sorry from the receptionist at check out the following morning but that was it. I would have expected more due to the disturbed nature of my stay. A decent nights sleep is the least I should have expected as a paying guest. Actually I am sorry I paid for the second night. In all bad taste left in mouth.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank DarrenOC
Roscommon
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Booked the Errigal Country House hotel at the last minute for Easter Sat night as a package of B/B plus a 2 course dinner. Wasn't really expecting much but was I wrong. Staff friendly hotel spotless and the food was first class. There was set menu for the package but we were told we could have anything off the main menu for a small supplement, didn't need to as the set menu was very good with a nice choice. The wine list was good and was reasonably priced.
The hotel is about 2K out of the town which might be a put off for some. There is a nice bar in the hotel with friendly staff.
There are some lovely walks and drives in the general area.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cootehill
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Hotel Kilmore
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan

Been to Errigal Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!