“A splendid retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cootehill
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“A splendid retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times, this time we stayed in the lodge which is a short distance from the main building. Plenty of easy parking is a bonus. The Lodge was well furnished and comfortable, albeit the housekeeping service was a little erratic, some days we had 2 clean towels left in our bathroom, sometimes 3. We also sometimes had lots of milk provided to make our tea in the room another time none, inconsistent, but saying that the staff were ready and happy to make amends. This critique is mainly to inform the hotel, for their quality assurance structures. The Reynauds restaurant food is really good, and the staff again really nice, especially a young lady who was pregnant at the time, she was a delight and a brilliant waitress; but we had a problem with flies, which spoilt the experience. We would stay there again, mainly because it is in the best location for our annual visit. I hope we have satellite TV next time as that wasn't on offer this time, even though it was in the hotel literature.

Room Tip: We had a nice room at the front of the hotel with a balcony, but even though the room had a non-smok...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
taxes, Manager at Errigal Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
Thank you for posting commrnts on your recent stay in the Errigal Country House Hotel I really do appreciate all the feedback I get as we can always learn from our guests remarks and work to improve the quality and consistency of what we do I have passed your kind words on to our restaurant staff . I hope to see you again soon at Errigal Country House Hotel

Best Wishes
Pat Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Good parking, good welcome, good room, good food, good check out, good value. That's all I wanted and I received far more that I expected. That's it.

Room Tip: Probably go for an even room. I think you might get a better view. I overlooked the service yard.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments about your experience at Errigal Country House Hotel and we look forward to welcomimg you back again in the future.
Kind regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here when attending the Fleadh in Cavan and although it is quite a trek into town the drive is through some of the nicest scenery. We didn't spend much time in the hotel but check-in was very friendly and efficient and our room was spacious and comfortable. There were three of us sharing and we had plenty of space. The breakfast was excellent..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the Errigal Country House Hotel after your recent visit We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for next years fleadh in cavan . Don't forget to review our website for all our latest offers
pat kelly
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Had a weekend break recently. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable and spacious. Food in restaurant and bar was good and drinks reasonably priced.

Nice outdoor area with seating, beautiful flowers and good views of surrounding drumlin countryside.

Would go back for another relaxing break!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
taxes, Manager at Errigal Country House Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us .Iwill pass on your comments to staff who were on duty during your stay We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in near future. Don’t forget to review our website for all our latest offers
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

The friendly staff could not make up for the lack of general cleanliness. Even the cups and cutlery seemed not to have been washed properly. I think the dishwashers need to be replaced: the crockery in the restaurant (and in the bedroom) was unclean. I asked for replacement cups when making tea in my room. The nice woman who brought them was very apologetic BUT the new cups were also unclean. Inexcusable.
We stayed on a weekend evening and had been looking forward to a quiet country hotel experience. Instead, we found ourselves in wedding rception hell. I had to get out of bed when awoken at 5am and plead with drunken wedding guests to take their party elsewhere and stop shouting in the corridor.
We hoped that a decent breakfast would go some way to making up for the sleepless night but it was not to be. Food mediocre, although staff very friendly yet again.
Overall, decor a bit tired and the 'finish' in the rooms not great. They really need to brush up their act. A minor point but they only had three coat hangers in the wardrobe, and that was in one of the massive suites!
The 'spa' area looked a bit grim: rotting fruit in a bowl on the counter indicated that it mustn't get much traffic. Guests obviously too busy drinking until dawn and making noise rather than having a sauna or steam!!
Maybe outside wedding season this place might be less disappointing. But nothing short of a wrecking ball could improve the gloomy and airless bar area (no windows or natural light) where the lunchtime food was uninspiring and tasteless. We ended up going to a restaurant in Cootehill for dinner instead of staying out at the hotel.

4 Thank Brian H
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your recent review, I am so sorry that you felt that you were let down on your recent stay at Errigal Country House Hotel I assure you that each bedroom is thoroughly cleaned daily and is then inspected by the Accommodation Manager I have addressed these problems with the Accommodation Team. I am Sorry that this affected your stay The cleanliness of our hotel is a point that we pride ourselves on and one that our Guest‘s constantly praise
Breakfast ,We offer a continental style breakfast and a more substantial full Irish Breakfast freshly cooked to order and served. Bar ,We offer you a choice of two Bars the Brewery Bar has a relaxed atmosphere fully air conditioned or our Foyer bar is airy and bright with lots of windows and natural light. I am very disappointed that you found our cuisnes not to your taste either at breakfast or lunch I can assure you that we ( and take great pride in the fact )only use the freshest of local ingredients and cook to order
Again thank you very much for your feed back and look forward to welcoming you back soon
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

The title says it all....I arrrived at my room and thought it was nice at first. However, later I turned on the TV and noticed that te Sky Sports channels which I was told they had weren't even connacted. I went down for dinner then and spent most of my evening batting away flies and bluebottles off my dinner, which was not pleasant to say the least. Later on, I went back to my bedroom, got into bed and noticed a stain on the sheets(it was too late and I was too tired to complain so I slept on the other side).
The next morning I got into the shower and was not surprised to find I was onyl supplied with conditioner....no shampoo and no shower gel!
I went down for breakfast later on and was greeted by a swarm of flies once more, each climbing all over the fruit and bread left out for paying customers. I will never return here and have advised my company the same......Pity that, because the Errigal have lost a lot of future business here - I mentioned in my reservation that I would be coming on behalf of my company who would be utilising the hotel a lot in the future following a good recommendation on behalf....and they couldn't even give me clean sheets.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Keith D
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Errigal Country House Hotel and taking the time to write your review I would like to apologise sincerely for your poor experience
TV, sky sports channels are available in all public areas of the hotel and also in bedroom’s but can only be controlled in the bar (ie. what is on in bar you can see in bedroom ) I am sorry for any inconvenience. It concerns me that you had Stains on the sheet and you found No shampoo, or no shower gel in bathroom. I have addressed these problems with the Accommodation Team and I can assure you that these problems are corrected.
Fly control is very important in any hotel, There seemed to be more flies this summer then other years and they are attracted to any food area. The Commercial pest control company is currently addressing this problem.I am truly sorry that this affected your stay
I hope to see you again soon at Errigal Country House Hotel
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is clearly a very popular joint for wedding receptions but it is not an attractive option beyond that. As a wedding guest, whilst noisily roaming the corridors at 3am, you will be unlikely to notice the yellow stains and hairballs on the towels, the loose electrical sockets and the dirty cups. But everyone (with the exception of other guests) will be having a great time so it doesn't really matter.

This hotel has clearly been built at considerable expense but has been finished off on the cheap and will not stand the test of time.

Planning a wedding? Look no farther. Planning a pleasant stopover in Cootehill? Get a B&B.

2 Thank WMNI
Dear Guest
I am so sorry that you were let down in certain areas which is of course extremely disheartening to read.
We tried to keep wedding guest in one side of the hotel and other guest in other side to avoid noise in corridors as wedding guest make their way to the bedroom. I am sorry that this did not happen on the night you stayed. I Assure you that each Bedroom is thoroughly cleaned daily and is then inspected by the Accommodation Manager. It concerns me that you had Stains on towels, dirty cup’s and loose sockets. I am currently addressing these problems with the Accommodation Team.I am truly sorry that this affected your stay . The cleanliness of your Bedroom is a point that we pride ourselves on, and one that our Guest’s constantly praise.
We feel our Hotel finished off and Furnished to a very high standard I Sincerely hope that we can help make your stay much more enjoyable on your next visit.
Pat Kelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cootehill
Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel, Cavan
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,221 reviews

Been to Errigal Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!