“A smile would not go amiss”
Review of The Malthouse - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Herstmonceux
“A smile would not go amiss”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent.
The service was good even if wine choice is limited
But a smile would have secured the 5 stars
Will try again before Christmas

Visited October 2013

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“lovely birthday sunday lunch!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a wonderful Sunday lunch and they coped superbly with our table of 12. We sat in the super garden before lunch and had coffee out there again afterwards. One of our guests was on a gluten free diet and this was no problem to them - even getting them a gluten free roll. The service was efficient and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. Food was beautifully presented and very tasty. They even did one of the young people chips even when it was not on the menu!!!
We have been here before and every time it is great - we shall be going back. Do try it!

• Visited August 2013
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Go for it. I feel sure you will go again!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife & I live about 20 minutes drive away and we love to eat here when we can... roughly a dozen times so far and we have never been disappointed. Last week we went for a Thursday night Summertime special that included an excellent unlimited salad buffet and a choice of dessert for £12 a head. My thick slices of roast beef were perfection as was my wife's quiche. Don't expect a large menu or chips with everything - just a carefully selected choice of freshly prepared dishes and drinks all at realistic prices. A 3-course meal will be around £18.00 for example. I signed up for the Malthouse weekly e-mail so that I know the options in advance but just delete it when I am skint, on a diet or otherwise occupied. My wife is a vegetarian who does not eat seafood and she has always been thrilled with the veggie option offered. No matter how busy they are, you never feel squeezed in or rushed at all. Evening meals are only available Thursday to Saturday. During the day (all week?) they provide a tea shop menu we intend to sample very soon as well as Sunday Roasts. There is a small garden to the rear if you visit whilst the weather is good and an entrance slope to accommodate disabled diners. The Malthouse is easy to find - just opposite Herstmonceux Fire Station. There are a few off-road parking spaces although a short path by the side of the fire station leads to a free public car park - left at the mini roundabout and left again behind the pub. Go for it... I feel sure you will go again!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Alan T
“A great hidden treasure”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We went for an evening dinner on recommendation and loved it here. The food was superbly cooked and the service great. Excellent value for money too. I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Visited July 2013
Kingston, Canada
“A Gem”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Malthouse during the spring months when we're visiting from Canada for several years now. We have never been disappointed. All the key ingredients of an excellent restaurant are here: delicious food, friendly and courteous service, and a pleasant ambience. We love it!

• Visited June 2013