“Oasis of comfort after Holiday Inn Express hell”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Reviewed January 9, 2014

More back to back meetings at Heathrow saw me stay for a second night. After a horrendous night at the Holiday Inn Express T5 the previous night, I moved up a couple of levels in the comfort stakes and booked into the Doubletree.

The hotel is a short drive or bus ride from LHR, just out of the free transit zone around Heathrow (that starts at the Holiday Inn Ariel and runs as far as the Sheraton). The hotel is actually in Cranford, and is one of three buildings on a junction with a faux castle appearence. Actually the hotel rooms are in a new wing, and only the bar and restuarant, plus meetings rooms are in the faux castle, not that you would know inside.

The hotel car park is small, so an early arrival is recommended to secure a spot. My arrival was early - I was suffering from a splitting headache after virtually no sleep in the HIE the previous night so I checked in early and went straight to bed for a nap.

Check in was efficient - I declined the Doubletree cookie - (if only they didn't have nuts in them!!)- and the receptionist explained that they even though I am top tier with Hhonors, that they were not able to upgrade me to an exec room as the hotel was busy. Not a problem.

My room was on the 3rd floor which meant negotiating the stupid key validation swipe on the lift call button. The lift will only call when you successfully swipe your room key, but this never works...it ALWAYS, without fail, takes several attempts to the key to swipe.

A standard room is not as spacious as an exec room, and the toiletries available are in smaller bottles, but that aside the room is similar. The king bed was an oasis of comfort following the hell of the previous night, and after a three hour doze, I awoke and went to get some food.

I ate in the bar. The food is good, but expensive for what it is, although to be fair, no more so than any other airport hotel. After eating I did some work. WiFi is free and can be used on multiple devices, and speeds are accceptable enough to watch something on iPlayer. The TV has the full suite of Freeview channels which you do not always see in hotels (Holiday Inn's only feature a small subset for example). After some work, I then retired early.

My nights sleep was comfortable, the room a good temperature, and a massive bathtub meant I could at last have the soak denied me in the HIE.

Breakfast was free as an Hhonors elite member, and this was buffet style. The choice was good, the service attentive, but bigger tea pots are needed! The food was hot and tasty.

Check out was as efficient as check in - no issues with the bill, and everyone was friendly. This is my second review of the hotel, and it remains a solid value choice for the odd night at Heathrow.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Director of Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Wildthing271

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I am glad to hear that we met your expectations especially that you did not have a great night's sleep at the other hotel. Having one of our Loyal Hilton HHonors guest back is the only thing we ask for.

Thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I booked this hotel without having seen it or knowing it's many weaknesses. I was pretty shocked at the size of the room I was given (more like a large closet). The neighborhood is pretty suspect and not nice looking and the service was fairly minimal. I am a Hilton Honors member and travel a lot. This location used to be a smaller chain hotel that was two stars at best and apparently there hasn't been much done yet by Hilton to improve it. I booked the hotel for a week and checked out after one night. It didn't help that I woke up in the middle of the night in great pain after having been bitten by a spider that left a nasty welt on my chest! On the plus side, it's pretty close to the airport and the breakfast buffet was on the standard/pretty good side.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Director of Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Tb H

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I am sorry to hear about your encounter with the spider. We take such incidents seriously as the safety of our guest is primordial. I can assure you that our rooms are cleaned and checked carefully to very high standards.I do hope you are much better now.

I am glad that location especially to the airport was to your requirements and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back at hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Because of weather conditions in the U.S., my family and I spent the night at the DoubleTree on our way to back home. The hotel turned out to be perfect for our purposes. The room was large and comfortable. My kids loved the beds that the hotel set up for them as well as the cookies that we were given upon arrival. The staff (especially the guys at the front desk were very helpful and friendly). The shuttle bus to Heathrow took about 30 minutes. All things considered, the hotel is a perfect option if you need to stay somewhere near Heathrow.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Director of Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Peter B

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

I am sorry that you were not able to make it back home due to the bad weather. However, I am glad to hear that the staff and the hotel as a whole made your stay a perfect one.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Got a good deal on this Hotel with the flash sale at the end of last year and it was worth the money.

Excellent location. Quick and easy commute to the airport. Comfortable room....if a little snug for the 3 of us! But room clean and functional. The only issue was the standard of the rollaway bed, not the best but again functional.

Staff on the desk professional and very helpful on check in and the warm cookies offered by Double Tree always a treat. Check out not so great when the person tried to charge me a random sum of money and then explained away as being the room costs....which it bore no resemblance to.

The hotel was on reduced food menu due to the Christmas period, but what they had was hideously overpriced even for a hotel, so would suggest you go outside to eat and there are a few available. We had takeaway from Munchies across the road and it was delicious!

Breakfast choice was fresh and excellent and the team running breakfast were helpful, courteous and very professional.

Would definitely use again when flying from LHR.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

I am glad that to hear that you managed to secure our flash deal and that the hotel was ideally located during your visit.

Your comments regarding the professionalism of the Front Desk and Restaurant staff is very much appreciated and will be shared with the Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Loved the cookies provided at check in. The check in was very quick. The room was good and clean and set up for a family of 4 as booked. The neighbourhood was quiet and had a Domino's pizza and Tesco shop across the road with Bus stop also just outside. The Underground train stop to use is West Hunslow and cost us 8 GBP to the hotel by taxi and 15 GBP to Heathrow Terminal 4 again by taxi . All in all as expected and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear MaxFelix

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I am glad to note that you loved the cookies and more importantly that the service and the hotel standards met your expectations.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Excellent room and nice reception staff. All went well until the breakfast. Almost no service - completely ignored. I am still waiting for the Orange juice. Previous visits have been very good. Is service slipping?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm really pleased to read how excellent the room and reception staff were, but naturally very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service at breakfast. Please know that your comments have been passed on to our Food & Beverage Manager, who will be ensuring we return the service to the standards you have experienced before. I hope we can welcome you back again. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Having booked a 'King Guest Room' I was very disappointed to see our bed was 2 uncomfortable singles pushed together! Booking website also stated complimentary mineral water which we did not get but did see the cleaners putting bottles in other rooms. Only two 'normal' tea bags which as a big tea drinker was annoying! The room itself was very clean as was the bathroom. Desperately craved a juice drink at night so requested one through '24 hour room service' and was told the bar was closed so all in all very underwhelmed!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you were disappointed with the bed in the King Guest Room. Our King beds do have matress toppers to try to maximise comfort for our guests however I am sorry this was uncomfortable for you. Water is available as a benefit for our Hilton HHonor guests. I will be reviewing our third party websites and also our own to ensure this information is updated accordingly. Please know that I will be speaking to the Night Team to ensure all guest requests are met such as drinks from the bar, and I am sorry you were not served. I'm pleased however that the room and bathroom were very clean, and hope we can welcome you back in the future. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow? Share your experiences!