“Budget Hilton”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had to meet somebody off a plane at Heathrow Airport early in the morning; so I decided to spend the night at an airport hotel rather than leave home before dawn. I chose Doubletree by Hilton because it offered a room with breakfast for £60 - a very good deal. The overnight parking was also only £11, and I was able to park my car right outside the main hotel entrance. A bonus.

This is a rather small hotel, compared to other airport hotels, and all the better for it - no crowds of people blocking the hotel lobby with suitcases; no long queues at reception. The check-in procedure was very pleasant and efficient. I was immediately given a warm chocolate chip cookie - a really delicious, if odd, Doubletree trademark offering. There are trays of the things in special compartments beneath the reception counter. Amazing. If I were working at reception, I would find it impossible to resist them.

My room was certainly the cheapest type in the hotel, but it was fine and not minuscule by any means. It had everything, except for a minibar, that one could need - a trouser press, a safe, a TV with all the main channels, coffee & tea making facilities, free bottled water, and a keyboard for use with the internet (at a price). The room had adjustable air-conditioning, which seemed unnecessarily complicated to operate (with a timer ? that made no sense to me at all). The bathroom was immaculate, modern and seemed more upmarket than one might expect for the price of the room. The bath itself was wide, long and deep (and attractive), and there was unlimited hot water. So full marks for the bathroom.

I had decided to order an Indian meal from a local Indian restaurant for delivery. So I asked reception whether I could have a plate and cutlery. Of course I could. All very pleasant. I wanted to order a pint of lager from my room to go with the meal when it came, but I noticed that the room service menu had a minimum charge (of £10, I think); so that put an end to that idea. Also I presumed that to order some ice would also cost £10, if I wanted nothing else, and so didn't even try. I suppose I could have gone to the bar downstairs and got what I wanted.

It was only when I got into the king size bed that I discovered a raised ridge or lump running down the centre, which I first mistook for a protruding spring, but which was due to the fact that the bed was made up of two single beds pushed together. Normally 'zip and link' beds are fine, but in this case the join was not at all seamless. This was a bit disappointing, but as I was alone, it wasn't a big deal, as I could choose to sleep on one half of the bed or the other. For a couple, though, it could have been more annoying. Another minor irritation was a strange rumbling noise, rather like distant thunder, that came from somewhere. It was definitely very much in the background; so didn't disturb me. Perhaps it was connected in some way with the air-conditioning.

I did not have much time or appetite for breakfast, but it seemed good. Freshly squeezed orange juice, good sausages (quite rare in a buffet breakfast), a thermos of OK coffee and a spread of hot and cold breakfast foods to satisfy just about anybody. Checking out was as painless as checking in. I asked the receptionist if she could check to see whether my friend's flight was expected to be on time or whether it was delayed. Again, this request was dealt with pleasantly and efficiently.

I can understand the reason why there are no minibars or anything at all to buy in the rooms. It is to save on administration and housekeeping costs and to be able to offer quality accommodation at a very low price. £60 for bed & breakfast is exceptional value in a hotel of this quality. If you are looking for a swimming pool and fitness centre or spa, then this is not the hotel for you. If you are looking for a modern and comfortable hotel without such frills at a very competitive price, then this would be an excellent choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tim B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here recently to go to a rugby match at the stoop, the staff were friendly and courteous especially enjoyed the hot chocolate chip cookie on check in very nice touch. The room was spacious and clean,also the bed was very comfortable. It really surprised me how quiet the hotel was considering we were on a main road and on the flight path for Heathrow ! The food was lovely but a bit expensive and also you have to pay for parking. Would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

After an exhausting search for good hotels near London's Heathrow Airport, I selected Doubletree by Hilton at 745 Ball Road, Heathrow.

Doubletree scored high marks in every category most travelers desire. Very clean, stylish, modern rooms, super friendly staff, very nice, moderately priced restaurant, conveniently located to the airport and free wi-fi which is a huge plus for me.

It's seldom that I find a hotel that rates so high in the affordable range. It's obvious Doubletree has a fine well trained staff that realizes the value of customer satisfaction.

Steve N.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank steve n
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night after 2 long flights. Rooms were ok, big bed. There were bits of new things in the bathroom and you see glimpses of the Hilton. Paper thin walls, you can hear the tv next door.

Food options very limited and its average and reminds me the old days when hotel food was avoided at any cost.

Most staff spoke English with very heavy accent, I just hope that the hotel is paying them a descent wage.

No gym, breakfast buffet was mediocre.

Would only recommend this hotel for day stays or unless you have to. The other hotels around seem to bigger and more modern, but I guess you won't know until you stay there.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our wonderful travel agent advised us to take a morning flight from Washington, DC which brought us into London in the evening. This worked out great as we got a night's rest and started out fresh. She booked us into the DoubleTree where we were warmly welcomed (with the chain's delicious chocolate chip cookies). Our room was clean, comfortable and the bathroom complete with contemporary fittings made a nice start to our England-Ireland visit. The desk staff were extremely helpful with restaurant suggestions nearby (not what we wanted but we took advantage of the delicious, but limited after-hours room service menu) and arranging transport for us into London the next morning. We used the airport shuttle (there was a low fee) to the hotel, which seemed to be quite a distance from the airport, but the shuttle bus was comfortable and the driver helpful. As noted before, the DoubleTree started our holiday off right and we will certainly do this when we next visit our family in England.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZOEHART
Reviewed May 5, 2013

They made our whole family happy. Our children loved the cookies. They saved us money by printing online tickets. They have a parking lot & easy access to public transit. All made better by their wonderful service!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed for one before flying home and found the service and staff to be friendly and efficient. Room was spacious enough and comfortable. Highly recommend for a comfortable stay before or after a flight. 15 minute shuttle to the airport.

Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
2 mi away
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow? Share your experiences!