“Excellent airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Cambridge, UK
“Excellent airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

There are some pretty poor hotel options around Heathrow, but the Hilton Doubletree raises the standards somewhat. We stayed for one night ahead of an early morning flight, so only really saw the reception area and the bedroom, but the reception staff were very friendly, check in and out went smoothly, the rooms are quiet and comfortable, and everywhere was spotlessly clean. A few grumbles - the seal on the shower screen was useless, so the bathroom flooded each time the shower was used, and following the Heathrow hotel tradition, overnight parking and wireless internet in the room are stupidly over-priced. Overall though, a better hotel than many others in the area, very convenient for the airport and currently offering some good room-only deals (£69 for a double).

Room Tip: On a busy road, so rooms away from the road and/or on higher floors are quieter. All have good quali...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is fantastic to read that we have a such a great standard of hospitality when comparing us to other hotels in the Heathrow area. I'm pleased the staff were so welcoming and the room was spotless. We recognise that our internet facilities need changing, and this is currently being installed at the hotel. We anticipate to have this ready very soon and I am confident our customers will grealy benefit from this improvement. I hope we can welcome you back in the future. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed here one night because I needed to pick up a colleage early morning at the airport. I am a Hilton member so I prefer to stay within the Hilton chain and the Double Tree seemed to be a reasonable priced choice

What I liked
+ Fairly priced
+ It feels like a Hilton hotel (like coming home)
+ Parking provided

What I didn't like
- Check-in was complicated because I pre-paid the hotel over the Hilton website
- Credit card was not swiped during check-in so I had trouble to book breakfast, dinner and parking to my room
- You cannot enter the parking space when you have a European car (not right side driven). The gates close before you are back in the car
- Internet cable in the room is not working, you need to use WiFi but nobody tells you and you cannot book it to your room (it needs to be separately billed)
- Service in the bar aread is slooooooooow
- Breakfast is only available from 7am onwards ... so if you have an early flight no breakfast is provided. Other hotels are much better here
- Some street workers are sitting in the breakfast area which makes it look like a cheap diner
- Elevators are only working with your key card but the swipe system is very buggy. You need to always ask several guests until you finally find one with a working card

I probably will chose another hotel next time I need to stay near LHR.

Room Tip: Book breakfast with your booking or expect to leave 15 Pounds on the table for a mediocre breakfast.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, and I'm pleased we could welcome you to the hotel as a HHonors Member. It is great to know the the hotel felt like coming home to you, as this really is something we try to create at DoubleTree.
I'm sorry that we didn't offer to swipe your card during check in. It is part of our procedure to ask all guests if they would like to leave their account open to charge extras, therefore I will re-itterate this point to all the team.
If you do return to the property and are driving a European car, please press the buzzer and we can hold the barrier open for you. We are currently installing our own Wifi throughout the hotel and I am confident this new facility will benefit all guests.
I am sorry to see you are unlikely to stay with us again, but I hope that if you do, you will see an improvement in the bar service, check in process, and internet quality. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Stock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here before catching an early flight from Heathrow. Really wasn't expecting anything great for the £79 we paid for the room - but I was very pleasantly surprised. Parking is on-site (with a charge) and for once at a Heathrow hotel it wasn't impossible to find a space! Check-in was fast and pleasant and accompanied by a really nice, warm, chocolaty cookie! The room was very comfortable, king sized bed, shower over bath and a good supply of large towels - just what was needed after a reasonably long journey to the airport. We ate in the restaurant which offered a basic but more than adequate menu. The food was freshly cooked and service was warm and friendly. Our early morning call was on-time and our very early check-out was handled very efficiently and we were on our way in no time. All in all this was a great start to our trip and I thought the rate was excellent value for what we got.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank quin-i-bog
Thank you for your review. I'm very glad you were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and that we exceeded your expectations. It is also great to know that after a long journey we could welcome you with our signature DoubleTree Cookie, and the room was comfy.
I'm pleased that we could help to start your trip in a positive way, with excellent value for money and an efficient and friendly service. I hope we can welcome you back on any future trips out of Heathrow. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I'll begin with the thing that annoyed me the most. I don't know when it became an accepted practice for UK hotels to charge for parking, but I find it nothing short of scandolous that I was charged £11 to use the hotel car park for the night I was actually staying in the hotel. To me this shows that those running the hotel have no concern for their guests but simply want to rip them off as much as possible. One further point on car parking is tghat the disabled spaces had been stuck in an awkward corner as an afterthought and were about as far from the entrance as it was possible to get.

Reception was friendly but inefficient. Check-in was very slow despite my being the only guest at Reception at the time. Also, I was promised a breakfast bag as I was leaving too early for my included breakfast but none was provided in the morning.

The room was clean and comfortable. It was also quiet, especially considering the location of the hotel. I was very happy with the bed. The room was, however, rather small and dated and was very cold when I arrived. Despite turning the thermostat up to the maximum, the room never really warmed-up properly. The supplies on the beverages tray were also rather stingy, although the complimentary water was most welcome. Only the bare minimum of TV channels were available in the room and the picture wasn't very good on some channels.

The food in the restaurant at dinner was good. I had no complaints about the quality or cooking of the food except for the butter being so hard that an ice-pick would have been useful! Service in the restaurant was below average.

Overall, I was disappointed by this hotel - especially as it carries the Hilton name. Given the large number of hotels near Heathrow, I certainly wouldn't choose to stay in this one again.

Room Tip: My room was on the side of the hotel overlooking an office building and was quiet. The hotel fronts...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David1231
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We inform guests of parking charges on all websites we advertise on and also any voice reservations made. Therefore I am sorry if this was not made clear to you at the time of booking, as we certainly do not intentionally hide this charge. Whilst car parking fees are not exclusive to our hotel within the Heathrow area, please be assured that our customers feedback is monitored and used to assess the services and facilities we provide at the hotel.
Some of our disabled spaces are not right next to the main door, as these are larger spaces which would enable easier access for wheelchair users. We do also have spaces allocated right next to the hotel entrance.
I am sorry for the slow service on check in and the fact you didn't get your takeaway breakfast. This is certainly not our usual level of service, and I have reminded each team member they must inform the Kitchen of any early breakfasts.
I'm pleased you found the hotel to be clean, that the bed was comfy and you enjoyed the food at dinner. I hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I am a member of the Hilton Honours program & selected this hotel for a 3-night stay in October 2012 for two reasons: it was near Heathrow [I didn’t want to stay close to London and had an early flight on departure day] and was able to secure an attractive [online] rate. London hotels are generally very expensive, including those at Heathrow. If you plan to use the hotel for a 1 or 2 night stay prior to a flight, its adequate & pleasant. Its an older hotel [previously a different brand I think], but it has been refurbished, so the facilities are relatively ‘modern’. Based on my room allocation, the rooms are very small. Opposite the hotel is a range of inexpensive outlets for dine-in or take-out food, drinks and general including hairdressing, supermarket, etc. You can include car parking at 11GBP per night, which I did. Its an OK LHR hotel, provided you don’t plan a long-term stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BobEvans25
Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased we could welcome you to the property as a Hilton HHonors member, as we re-branded in July. I'm glad you were able to book a good rate and that you found the hotel pleasant, and it suited your needs prior to your flight. I hope we can welcome you back if you are flying out again. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Compared to the airport-end of Bath Road, the location is a little off-putting but I was really impressed by the hotel. The staff were friendly, the cookie was still warm and my room was in excellent condition with a fabulously comfy bed. I had a room on the back of the hotel and had no noise - from inside or outside the hotel.

The lobby is bright and colourful and the facilities are the basic ones you need - a bar, a restaurant, a small car park - rather than those you probably won't use (like gym or pool). I was only there for about 8 hours but I rather liked the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Koshkha
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you were impressed by the hotel and found the staff to be friendly. We are proud of our Sweet Dreams bedding which is exclusive to Hilton hotels, so it's great that you found this so comfy! Thank you again, and I hope we can see you soon. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Peekskill, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here one night before a flight. Greeted with a cookie, and the room for the price was probably the best value around Heathrow. spacious lounge area, although they should offer wifi free through the building instead of just downstairs.

The clerk at the front literally chased down the hotel hopper bus for me at 6 am in the morning when I was running late in the morning. and I believe the 81 bus goes right by this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MyVolition
Thank you for your review. It's fantastic that you found us to be the best value for money in the Heathrow area. We will shortly be installing Wifi throughout the hotel which I am confident our guests will benefit from. I'm also so pleased to see that one of the Night Porters made sure you got the Hoppa Bus, even if it did mean running after it..! I hope we can welcome you back again. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Sofitel London Heathrow
Sofitel London Heathrow
#1 of 23 in Hounslow
4.5 of 5 stars 8,752 reviews

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow? Share your experiences!