“Great Grand Prix Week End”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brackley
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Grand Prix Week End”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at the Crown Hotel in Brackley over the week end to go to silverstone with my wife and friends. The hotel is 10 minutes from the track which made it an ideal location. The rooms were very nicely decorated modern but also keeping its character. The staff and management were very professional and attentive. Breakfast was served cooked to order which was very nice and there was also a selection of pastries, fruit, cereals and you could help yourself to toast. Dinner was also very good we ate there both nights and there was a great atmosphere in the bar and in the restaurant. we have already booked for next year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel was booked based on location and price. The latter would suggest that you were getting a "superior" room as advertised for room only. Room 20 was not in anyway superior. While it was large this was mainly due to the lack of furniture in the room, consisting of a questionable king size bed (two mattresses piled on top of each other, that did not fit the frame), a "vanity" table which was in very poor condition, small wardrobe with no coat hangers, and a dilapidated fouton chair. The bathroom was ill equipped for a child let alone an adult. The bath/shower was placed next to a sloped roof which meant my wife (who is 6 feet tall) had to shower on her knees and I had to crouch and tilt my head. This was on top of a faulty shower mix unit that either scalded you or froze you mid shower without adjusting the taps. The rooms are in NO WAY SUPERIOR.

The staff appear to have very little training at all and speak little English. While this is not their fault it seems a little odd to employ people who are not capable of communicating well enough when they are in a public facing job. Naturally mistakes with ordering food and general customer service requests were wrong or ignored which led to much frustration for us and notably other guests.

The restaurant had an attractive and wide ranging choice to offer. On my first night I ate prawn cocktail and a mixed grill. Both were actually quite tasty and I had little to criticise. However other members of my party had dishes that were over cooked and not as advertised on the menu. I realised this the next evening when I had another mixed grill to notice that two of the pieces of meat I was supposed to get we're not included when served. This was not made aware to me at any stage during the meal or ordering process.

Breakfast was just as bad. Firstly the juices and some other fridge based items had a very distinct smell to them (not of juice). They had quite strong aroma of McDonalds chicken nuggets. We concluded that when another member of my party was given dietary products that were kept in the hotels fridge that something was contaminating the food and drinks kept in there. While I have no concrete proof of this, it seems the most likely scenario. Secondly when ordering my breakfast at the same time as 4 others it did not arrive and I had to go to a costa coffee for breakfast due to time constraints.

Upon checking out (and waiting behind two other guests who were complaining) we asked the manager when he bought the hotel. He had bought it 5 years previously and confirmed he owned the hotel. Upon putting our concerns about our visit to him he was very dismissive of us, back pedalled and claimed he didn't own the hotel despite telling us he did 2 minutes previously. He said he had no authority to discuss any aspect of our stay, no authority to organise discount or amendments to bills and essentially said he was a caretaker. However he said as a gesture he would give us a discount for the trouble, which he just said he wasn't authorised to do. The "manager" is a total cowboy. He has no idea how to run a hotel and appears to be just conning people out of money.

The shame is, that with a bit of investment and well trained staff, this hotel could be amazing and could probably justify the tariff advertised. Please, please don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool and children's activities are considerably lacking.
2 Thank Ian C

Travelers are raving about these Brackley hotels

Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We held a 21st birthday party for our youngest daughter in the function rooms at the back of the Crown and were generally very pleased with the whole event. The space comprises a front room with bar and a long room behind with folding room divider at end - ideal for drinks reception, dining area and then slide back divider after meal to reveal dance floor and dj. Good for parties in the 30 to 70 guests range if seated meal is being considered. Manager and staff affable and competent. Food was acceptable, including the vegetarian option. Manager will give a per capita quote on food. Drinks are at list price but there are no venue or staff hire charges.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Pouancé
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The staff were very attentive and the furnishings were quite elegant. The bedroom was huge but cold. It was June but still chilly out and the large radiator was not on. I could not stay here in winter if the room was not heated. The restaurant was handy and the food appeared quickly. Food was plentiful but not wonderful. Breakfast was lovely. Plenty of it and freshly cooked. Double room and full English for £50 was extremely good value. Hotel very centrally placed for the town and plenty of parking but some to pay. Will definitely stay again if the weather is warm enough.

Room Tip: There is no lift and a lot of stairs.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Right in the centre of Brackley, good, clean hotel with a nice atmosphere. Good value for money. We only stayed for one night to save driving home after a family meal, with drinks. We did not eat but the food seemed to be popular as the bar was busy, and in the morning the dining room had a good "smell" to it, with plenty of people having breakfast.

Would use this place again without even looking further.

Room Tip: maybe avoid main road facing rooms at weekends as the main square is opposite and has pubs coming ou...
Burgas, Bulgaria
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at the Crown on my short break to England. I spent 2 nights there and was welcomed warmly by the front desk personnel. Rooms are cozy and well decorated. They have pillow-top mattresses, which are very comfy so I really had a good night sleep. While I was there I went to the bar couple of times. Restaurant was good. Food was well cooked and served quick and with smile.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Worst experience of my life. This is a [--]. Absolutely filthy. No hot water. Staff unfriend and rude. Told to leave if I wasn't happy, but they had my credit card details. Dirty sheets and toilet. Wouldn't leave a dog there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jaydent666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brackley
Travelodge Bicester Cherwell Valley M40
Travelodge Bicester hotel
Best Western Buckingham Hotel
Premier Inn Banbury (M40, J11) Hotel
Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
The White Hart
The White Hart
#4 of 4 in Buckingham

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!