“very disappointing experience”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brackley
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having booked 2 rooms in advance, the rooms offered must have been the worse in the hotel. We were told the hotel was full and we were last guests to check in, but then 2 other people checked in after us. One room was tiny with no space for clothes, apart from a hook on the wall with 2 metal hangers! The other room had a bathroom covered with mould and no effort was made to clean it when a complaint was made.

Subsequently we wrote to the Managing Director of the hotel chain (Traditional Coaching Inns) which include the Crown and Cushion at Chipping Norton and the Talbot Hotel Stourbridge. No reply was received despite numerous telephone chase ups, when we were told no-one was available to speak to us. This company is obviously totally indifferent to their customers and just want the money for very little in return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Liz B

Reviewed September 16, 2012

got room half price from website , it was alright if you get it for 50£ but i woudnt pay 100£ a night no way .good dinner next door.breakfast service was ok but tables was bit sticky :) i gues if you passing by for a night its ok .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at The Crown Hotel on business as it was close to Silverstone. However, the room was dated, the shower tray filled with water when showering and as me and colleague departed after asking for our personal credit cards to be charged, the front of house chap swore to his colleague saying 'f*#king people' as we departed out the door. We won't be staying their again, so this hotel has just lost up to a 10 room repeat booking!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ali29Kent
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Although the bedding & bathrooms were clean the overall condition of the rooms left me horrified. the TV hotel inspector would have a field day!! The rooms would benefit hugely from a lick of paint and bit of modernisation.
The rooms are single glazed so there is a lot of noise from outside. This was not helped by a fun fair directly opposite, which I was not advised about at the time of booking.
I did not eat at the hotel as the kitchen was not prepared to cook for me at 20:50 on a Friday.
A smile would not go a miss. I feel the proprietor of this hotel is in the wrong business as customer service is certainly not top of the priority list here, in fact nothing seems to be.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Booked last minute for work very pleased good food,clean comfortable room and very helpful staff.we stay away alot and would happily stay again oh and great carvery.think people leaving bad reviews are being a bit harsh or just impossible to please

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

It is not often I visit a restaurant where I am utterly appalled at the treatment. The occasion was a trip to the south coast stopping off about half-way at the delightful village of Brackley in the Northamptonshire countryside.

It was about 11:30 and the sign outside the Crown said there was a buffet on from 11:30. Perfect match! Or so we thought.

The owner/proprietor/manager approached us a few moments after we stepped inside. There was a hot buffet/servery ahead of us with one elderly couple being served. We asked the manager where we could sit. We were shown to a table for two right next to the doorway. Not wanting to eat in a corridor we asked if one of the other tables was free (the place was empty), but we were told all tables were reserved. To be fair, it was Father's Day and we should have anticipated a heavy lunch-time demand.

The seating was resolved by the manager telling us, somewhat disjointedly, that we could eat in the bar. His english wasn't the best, but, hey...

We went to the servery and ordered one turkey for me and one beef for my partner. I don't eat any red meat so the turkey was a good choice for me.

The "chef", I hate to call him that for what happened later, but let us call him the chef as he was wearing a chef's outfit, promptly cut a slice of beef, then a slice of turkey and put both on the same plate. Clearly the poor chap did not understand a word of english so I pointed to my partner and said to the chef, "1 beef". I then pointed to myself and said, "1 turkey". Feeling that the visual approach would win where words had failed we felt confident all would be well.

The chef sliced off, I say "sliced" but hacked was really the best description, some beef. The second cut into the beef revealed even more blood, so I asked my parter if that was really OK? Sure, was the reply so I shrugged and watched a second slice of turkey be cut off and placed with the beef on the same plate.

At that point my partner, exasperated, said "N, no no, one beef", pointing to himself, "and", pointing to me, "one turkey".. The chef said "Ahhhh!". At last we thought, this is it...

By the third slice of beef the carving board was running in blood. I've seen rare but this was one stage away from rescuscitation. Sure enough two slices of beef were cut onto one plate. Then the turkey was lifted onto the same board previously occupied by the beef and the slice fell off into the pool of blood that had flowed so freely from the previous animal.

I don't know if you can picture white turkey, soaked and spattered in bright red blood? Well, each to his own I suppose, but not for me.

I told my partner that was it. I'd had enough, we were going.

As we left the main door the manager approached. After a bemused look from him I told him it was awful and his carvery was little more than a blood bath.

Never again shall I cross the threshold.

Room Tip: Fawlty Towers or Addams Family? You decide.