“Great little place”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Have now been twice - once with my husband for coffee and cake and yesterday with two friends - for coffee and cake! Both times the place had a great atmosphere which you notice as soon as you arrive. The lattes were delicious and the range of cakes on offer were tasty too. I would definitely come back. You are not made to feel rushed.
My only gripe was on the service yesterday. The girls/ladies there are very friendly but yesterday seemed understaffed and a bit harassed. I asked if we should order at the counter or from the table and was told either so we decided to come up to the counter so that we could see the cakes. The girls serving were fulfilling orders and delivering to tables but we stood for a good 5 mins whilst this was going on with nothing was said to us or our presence even acknowledged! Eventually the girl behind the counter said that she couldn't take our order until she had completed the ones she had! There were a couple of other staff coming and going during that time and no-one asked us if they could help. They were obviously harassed and busy but really someone could have taken our order and explained that they would serve us asap. I'm sure yesterday was a one off but it might be worth just reminding staff to do something if customers are standing right in front of them for 5-10 mins! Having said that, I would definitely go again as it has a lovely atmosphere.

gordon k, Owner at The Green Room, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Thank you for leaving your review, we are very disappointed to hear that you did not receive the level of customer service that we strive for. On arrival to 'The Green Room' we ask our customer to take a seat as we run 'table service' as this allows you to get comfortable and enjoy the environment whilst we aim to take your order as quickly as possible. I will find out what members of staff were working on this day and would appreciate it if you could let us know what time you came in. We can only sincerely apologise for the service experience you had, as we do work very hard on making sure the whole ,Green Room, experience is a great one.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I came to the free room today (Friday 14th feb) after waiting for a long time for an opportunity. The cafe itself is beautiful, the furniture the decoration and everything about how it looks it just to my taste I love it. Unfortunately there were a few things that really could do with a change. Menus on tables, I know that the menu changes but you could have small chalk bords on each table to help confusion (80% of the people who came in today didn't understand where the food menus where)
Drinks menus, there were bords saying about coffees, smoothies and milkshakes, but I didn't know what diffrent teas and soft drinks were there until I went and looked at the selection on the bar.
Also the selection of cakes were more than what was on the bords.
If you are going to do a tables service, you need to do it right. Check backs, I wanted another drink during my meal and had to go order it at the bar, and also collection of plates, after our meal we wanted cakes and again had to order at the counter, even though our original order was taken at out table.
The food was nice although a very small menu, and the cakes were lovely. I enjoyed the music and the decoration as well. With a few very simple tweets the green room could be vastly improved!

gordon k, Owner at The Green Room, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thanks for your review and some of the ideas you have put forward. We do listen to our customers and correct things where we believe its appropriate.
Unfortunately we were one member of staff down on the 14th (Friday) and unable to get cover so that's why the level of service was not as sharp as normal and would have answered many of your concerns.
Our menu boards are on the walls all over the coffee shop which works very well for us although we can see the benefit of having a drinks sheet on each table.
What you do need to remember is that we are a coffee shop / tea room, that has a small quality food offering. We go out of our way to be quirky and customer satisfaction is at the top of our priorities.
What we have created is a community hub that has a fantastic vibe and atmosphere
and we are learning as we go along and some of your points are valid and we will make those tweaks.
Thanks for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have now been to The Green Room for many visits, everytime it's always such a lovely place to be! I have been with friends for an afternoon tea with scones, jam, cream and tea and also recently went for a girlie lunch date. Their hot chocolate is amazing!!!!! The staff and food is yummy! I would certainly say to anyone to visit, a very unique and quirky place to go for either coffee and cake or lunch! Always lots of temptation :) far too many nice treats to enjoy!

1  Thank L C

Thanks for taking the time out to review our little business. We work very hard to ensure you get the best experience when anyone comes to the green room and its very encouraging to us as owners and the staff when we know we're getting it right.
Thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you soon :-)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

always excellent, since December 2013, my "go to" local cafe (and by the proverbial 'Country Mile' too)

they're always looking at ways of further improving their service

there's plenty of space for Mum's with large buggies, young children very much accepted

good fresh food at decent prices

they have a policy of employing as many locals as possible and are definitely benefitting the local economy

very much recommended

1  Thank andrewplume
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just great to find an independent coffee shop that is head and shoulders above the chains. Nice to be served at the table, eat fresh cakes in a lovely room. It's set out uniquely and is very charming. Totally recommendable.

1  Thank LouieWithers