“Wonderful food with wonderful hospitality”
Review of The Crewe Arms

The Crewe Arms
Ranked #9 of 41 Restaurants in Brackley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is a country pub with accomodation ( two rooms ) traditional fayre located near to silverstone and cotswolds
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food with wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Whilst on a visit to the local area, we visited mid-week with the hope of grabbing an evening meal at about 8pm and couldn't have been more pleased that we went. Food was excellent and host was really welcoming. Lovely pub. Loved it so much that we brought Mum and Dad back for a meal the next night as well :-)

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ADW225

London, United Kingdom
“Great decor, Amazing Service, superb food, nice prices!!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Visited here on 23rd July 2013 as was staying in a B&B about 100 metre walk away. I had traveled with my G/F from Kent as I was skydiving from the nearby Hinton Airfield the next day which was a Christmas present. We were looking for a nice dinner and relaxing drink to steady my nerves.

The land lady of the B&B recommended this pub to us and she kindly reserved us a table. (The B&B was also excellent but that's another review.)

The little village of Brackley, (or technically Hinton-on-Hedges), is a quint essentially British village of only about 30 or so period homes and a tiny green and even the old fashioned black and white wooden road signs. Very nice to have a little walk around but there is nothing to do in the village, not even any shops. You have to go to the main town of Brackley for entertainment and shops. But as we were only staying 1 night this did not bother us and had no reason to venture into Brackley.

Anyway, I digress, The pub is situated right in the centre of the village and looks very appealing from the outside with well maintained hanging baskets and traditional stone walls and wooden window frames. On walking in there is a nice little bar area with wood beams, wood floor and a wood burning stove for the winter with padded benches in the corners for snug sitting and getting cosy. We were warmly greeted from behind the bar by a man who was possibly the most friendliest and helpful Landlords I have ever met, Chris. My G/F wanted Cider but wasn't sure on the local products on tap which we have never heard of. So Chris said she could try a little bit of all of them until she found one she liked. I have never experienced this in any pub beforef. Incidentally, I had a Guinness which was poured perfectly.

Drinks decided, we then informed Chris we were eating and had a reservation,and he said we could sit in the cosy little garden or in the restaurant area, out choice. The restaurant and garden are both very nicely maintained and furnished respectively with a lovely warm ambiance.

There were a few locals in the pub who were chatty and pleasant and polite to us "unfamiliar faces" and Chris's dog, a gorgeous black retriever with a lovely temperament and very well trained is free to roam the pub and will come and say hello to you. (not whilst you're eating though, as he has been trained and knows not to bother people when eating)

Chris was friendly and attentive but knew when to leave you alone also. He brought us the big specials board to our table off its position hanging on the wall so we could look at it again.

The food was simply amazing and massive portions. G/F had the steak which was the size of half a cow, she asked for medium which was cooked to perfection. I had the scampi and chips which were also excellently done. The chips were giant cuts of a potato. I have to honestly say that the Steak was probably one of the best Steaks I have ever seen and tasted, and I have eaten in a lot of places in a lot of countries throughout the years. This place beats any steakhouse!!

We shared a dessert of apple pie and again it was fab, the pastry just fell apart and the apples were real tasty chunks! For 2 of us with several drinks and 2 x large starters, 2 x large mains and a dessert the bill came just short of £60. About £30 each, which I think in today's rip off Britain is excellent value.

I can not fault this place and I have never written a review on trip advisor before but this place is just so nice I just had to do one. A real gem of a pub, I only wished there was a place like this back down here. If I'm ever in the Cotswolds again I will definitely make time to go back

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank phoniex61
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A handy location just off the A43, but staff who are oblivious to their customers. Food was ok, not great, but the overall service was very poor. The staff were more focused on talking to their colleagues and getting their tasks done rather than the needs of people dinning @ the restaurant. I would hesitate before before going back.

• Visited April 2013
oxfordshire
“Lovely food lovely pub”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I took my wife, mum and partner to eat at the Crewe Arms n 12 April , we were met by the land lady who welcomed us, the landlord wasn't far behind also with a warm welcome. The ordered our drinks and the bard maid was extremely knowledgable on the different ales that they had. We then ordered our food from the menu, they also had an extensive specials board. When we order our food we could chop and change what we wanted with it for example chips instead of me potatoes etc.
After a short while we were showed into to restaurant where our starters came out, extremely well presented and pipping hot. I had mushrooms with ciabatta bread with melted Stilton over it.. Yummy.
I then had fillet steak cooked to perfection I asked if I could have a pepper sauce which wasn't on the menu, the waitress said we can do any sauce you wanted, nothing was to much trouble. All my party thoroughly enjoyed their meals.
Would I return ? Dam right. Wild I recommend it ? Dam right
A jewel in the crown .

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Mr_Heyford
Welland, United Kingdom
“Lovely local pub”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This pub is actually in Hinton in the Hedges rather than Brackley. We went for a quick midday drink and ended up having Sunday Lunch. Largely because we could but also because the price on the board looked very good for a roast. Food quality was fine for the price although I don't think they really do deserts. Mine was a Jam Roly Ploy and it arrived cold. They re-nuked it and was OKish after that. We will go back as the traditional pub atmosphere is good and the Landlord really tries to please.

Visited April 2013