“Good food and good prices”

The Hand & Sceptre Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 21 Restaurants in Southborough
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Tunbridge Wells Cozy Country Pub & Boutique Lodge with Simply Amazing Food & Drink. There's Something for everyone every day of the week !
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I went to the Hand on Sceptre on a Tuesday evening to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary.

We checked out trip advisor before we went and also spoke to someone had been recently. It was listed as the 3 out of 4 places to go and eat so I was a little bit dubious but as it is the closest place to our house and we had the children's grand parents baby sitting we thought we would give it a go.

We arrived at 7pm and it was very busy in the bar area but quiter in the actual resteraunt.

We took advantage of the 2 for 1 cocktails offer that is available from 5pm to 8pm.

I ordered the chorizo hash which was really nice and my wife had the black pearl scallops that where huge. The starters went down very well.

For the mains my wife had the pork steak that was on the specials menu. She enjoyed this and I had a taste and no complaints there. I had the calves liver and that was perfect. One of the best I have had. Really tasty stuff.

We are pleased we have been here now and will be taken the children in the future.

The menu is a goo family menu.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I went to the hand and sceptre it was very well presented clean and nicely decorated the food was vey nice 7/10 and the staff very attentive without being overbearing I would definitely go again an enviroment that lends itself to couples and families

Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband, daughter and I enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch at The Hand & Sceptre yesterday. First impressions of the place were very good. It is BEAUTFIULLY decorated and, although very spacious, manages to be cosy. Did the food live up to the surroundings? Yes it did, and was also very nicely presented. We each had a roast with a lovely selection of very fresh vegetables. The puddings were also gorgeous. The service was excellent and the staff very pleasant. We will be back!!!

1  Thank a-fussy-traveller!
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Where do I start! This is our second visit to the Hand & Sceptre, we visited about 6 months prior and the Service was terrible, but the food was of a good quality and the venue was modern and comfortable.

We decided to try the Hand & Sceptre again expecting things to have changed for the good, not for the worse. We ordered 8 Starters, 6 correct starters came to the table, 1 dish that we had not ordered arrived and the two other starters where nowhere to be seen, the waitress came over a few minutes later to explain that she had missed them off during taking the initial order and they would arrive shortly, well mine arrived after everyone had finished eating.

As for Drinks, we had to repeatedly ask for drinks, it took 45 minutes for two Pepsi’s to arrive and then double drinks would appear as they were confused on who ordered what. A total shambles.

Main course, again another shambles, 11 main courses ordered, 9 turned up, then the manager appeared and informed the table that they had missed 2 mains of the order.. .again!
So while we all had to eat as our meals had been delivered to the table, 2 guests had to sit and watch for a further 10 minutes.

The gammon was dry and tasteless, the Lamb rumb had been over cooked, the Chicken skewers were again dry and tasteless. My roast beef however was very good, as were the other roasts.

Desserts ordered, we made the waitress go over the order twice, 9 ordered - 10 arrived!! Unbelievable.

Finally the special occasion Birthday cake, they delivered to the table ok, then 20 minutes later we asked for the box to take it home, the Chef had thrown the box away!

I am not one for leaving bad reviews, but this experience was one of the worse we have experienced in Tunbridge Wells.

1  Thank Claire L
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is a nice place to enjoy a relaxing meal. There is a big variety of food available and each dish is well presented . However the experience is enjoyed so much more if you can get 25% off of your food and drinks! Fortunately one of our party had logged on to their website and secud this by becoming a friend of the establishment.