“Closest thing to a Scottish pub so far...”

Breadalbane Street Bistro
Ranked #12 of 44 Restaurants in Fergus
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ontario, Canada
“Closest thing to a Scottish pub so far...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

..and I have spent a LOT of time in Scotland and England. Our dining experience last night (for five, 3 adults, two kids) was much better than what some of the recent reviews indicate. Granted, it was our first. We had struck out with 3 other restaurants in the area which apparently don't open for supper during the week! (That was disappointing, as we were looking for vegan/vegetarian food.) so we ended up at the Breadalbane by default. We walked in to a hullabaloo of noise and the smell of beer. Understandable, as the bar is up front, and it was filled with a large party of men who later went to eat in one of the rooms - so we chose another room, and it was fine. Actually, the noise and smells reminded me EXACTLY of a Scottish pub! and I liked it, although I am neither a drinker nor smoker. The venue is warm and cozy and very old-ish, lots of wood and beams and low ceiling, almost crooked floors, just like the UK. Our booth-table was large and clean and good solid wood. The kids were presented with crayons immediately. Our young server was prompt and sweet, although she made several mistakes on the final bills (none that were really disastrous, and they were easily and quickly fixed.) Between us, we had the huge veggie burger - delicious - the curry, a kid's pasta, and two melts with salads. All good. Their wine list was a little lacklustre, just Ontario wines, but my Cab-shiraz was ok and only $8. The kids got "free" freezies for dessert with the kid's meal...not much but a nice gesture that made them happy. we enjoyed our meal. The place was very full, the atmosphere lively, and there was a lot of laughter from other tables. We will certainly return.

• Visited November 2013

Aurora, Canada
“never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Visited mid afternoon on Oct 10 2013 for a light lunch. Had to move to an inside table because of heavy cigarette smoke on the patio. The waitress decided to chat with a friend who came in, BEFORE putting in our order which added to the 25-30 minutes we waited for food. The wife ordered a caesar salad which came with sweet ?? bacon bits that put her off. I had hoped for something remotely Scottish, so I ordered what were deep fried haggis balls hard enough to break a tooth, on top of vegetables that were not just crisp,which I don't mind, but almost uncooked. The other food on the menu seemed typical bar food and almost nothing remotely Scottish in nature!

• Visited October 2013
Stoney Creek, Canada
“one glitch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We spent an afternoon in Fergus and tried this place because of the building history, also the menu looked interesting. The girls working there were very pleasant and helpful. We ordered the scotch egg as an appetizer and was probably the best we ever had. The yolk was runny which was amazing! The dipping sauce for it was also delicious. We ordered the burger for my husband & the prime rib sandwich for myself. The fries were home made and yummy, the burger was very tasty. My prime rib was very flavourful. The only complaints I had were there wasn't really enough beef for the size of the bun. They should probably find a smaller bun. Also it took 45 minutes to come out. Another table of 4 came in 15 minutes after us and ate 10 minutes before us. Would go back again.

• Visited August 2013
Fergus, Ontario, Canada
“So Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Last night my husband and I decided to try once more the Breadalbane dining room. As in the past we have not had great success. As we live in Fergus, we try to patronize the local restaurants. As my husband is a local business man as well. But once more we were hugely disappointed! We were the only ones in the dining room.......service very slow......unfortunately our server was not trained for fine dining dressed in her pub apron, ( no fault of her own)......No music, as was told the receiver was out........and we were sharing our table with half a dozen flies and fruit flies. So not at all appealing, as they continued to land on our food! And as for the manager all he could say is "sorry" to all of the above. Not very convincing, when your are paying $32.00 a plate.

Guelph
“Has become like a chain restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This used to be one of our favourite restaurants to eat. I guess now that they have opened multiple locations, long waits and really what I would consider average food and service is to be expected. We dined on a Monday night at 8:00 not expecting it to be very busy. We waited for over 6 minutes just to be seated. Service, although okay was very slow. Our server was much more engaged with the table of 6 she was serving, and came over to say she knew we were there, but had to finish with the table of 6 first. My wife had the cobb salad which was good, and I had the schnitzel which was overcooked. I will compliment the fact that it was very cool outside and we were asked if they should close the door to the patio which did impress me. This place has really lost it's small town charm.

• Visited July 2013