“Good food - recommend the Moules!”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Bathford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Whilst staying the area, it was one closest places which was open on a Sunday night. We arrived as the Sunday special menus were being removed from the tables, however there was a fixed price menu or their regular menu still available.

When I find Moules Frites on the menu, that's my mind made up! It was good - a pot of lovely big mussels served in the usual way steamed with wine and garlic, which was accompanied by a dish of french fries. The bar had a good selection of cask ales available.

The place was a little too quiet, as it was pretty empty on Sunday night - however the staff were friendly and the service was attentive.

1  Thank PicnMix_UK

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Guess the best parts of our lunchtime visit was the ham salad baguette and the log fire. Only Doom Bar real ale was available, first pint was nearly returned, certainly not a great pint. Had a side order of chips, they were the thin fries sort, okay rather than great as far as I am concerned. For a lunchtime snack the baguette and chips at £7.75 is not cheap.
The most off putting thing was that whilst eating some cleaning was started and there was a very strong smell of bleach, not appetising. You also need to be dog friendly as there were three very large dogs who came to the table looking for food. Again the smell of dog was not an appetiser.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We are local ladies who lunch often!
The last three times we have been to the Crown.The colourful young lady who served us made the experiences very good and is the main reason for our return. The food is very good as well...particularly the fish and chips and home made tartare sauce.
Back to the service...cheerful , thoughtful and friendly......great to be looked after by an intelligent young person...she is the reason we return.

2  Thank AgneseWiltshire
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have eaten at the Crown a number of times over the last couple of years and I have to say that it has become a little frustrating recently. Our last visit saw the Calamari removed from the Menu and the Mussels had run out. There was nothing else that really tempted us and I ended up having an omelette which although was actually very nice, is not really the sort of food you travel to consume. The staff are very friendly and really make the place but the Kitchen needs to step up their game. With the excellent Longs Arms at South Wraxall not too far away, they are in danger of losing travelling trade to them forever. With the Calamari now off the menu, there is little to tempt me back on their current small menu. Bring back the Calamari and add a few more signature dishes and I would happily return and support this lovely old place.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This place is just down the road from me, we have waited years for this place to be good enough to just walk down the road and have a lovely meal in a nice restaurant with a log fire and good service. We are closer than we have ever been!
The gentleman that works behind the bar is an absolute credit to The Crown, and runs his feet off. He makes you feel welcome, he is talkative and makes your experience at The Crown better than most restaurants.

Although, I feel that The Crown is understaffed and they need to employ another waitor/waitress like the guy behind the bar for it to be top notch.
You never know what the temperature of the crown will be like, on a cold night you want to walk in an immediately want to take your coats off and feel comfortable. When the log fires are lit this place is great. The radiators provide a lot of heat also, however they are turned off too early in the evening therefore you feel chilly towards the end of the night as the fire dies out.

The mussels here are genuinely the best mussels in Bath, therefore we return for these most Thrusdays for their mussel night. The choice of sauces with the mussels is great and they are delicious.

The onion soup on a good day is amazing, my favourite soup, however, I have visited the crown many times and every time is is completely different to the last time and not always in a good way. The soup has been amazing and faultless many times however it has also tasted of just stock cubes in hot water.... Consistency isn't great..

Sad they have stopped serving Calamari, however the gentleman behind the bar has told me it may be back.. so very happy to hear it.

Really lovely meal when the place isn't packed and the one staffed guy isn't running his feet off for every table in the place.

Hopefully it will be more consistent in the near future and we will be back a lot more often.

Ps great set menu!