“Tres Bien!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Bathford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Proper food was needed, after a week of hospital canteen grub for my stepdad, so we stopped here on the way home and blimey, are we glad we did! The staff were without exception charming, eager to please and genuinely enthusiastic about the food, most notably the lovely lady who, when I placed my order for bouillabaise, said 'is that how you pronounce it? I've been saying bubble-balls!' My stepdad had duck confit with a red wine poached pear and potato gratin, with a side order of broccoli and Savoy cabbage.

The food was delicious. Plentiful without being ludicrous in size, fresh, precisely cooked, perfectly seasoned and a pleasure to eat. The chef was completely lovely; when we asked her over to compliment her, the first thing she did was apologise to me for there being no rouille croutons as 'her saffron hadn't come in'. Anybody who makes their own rouille gets a thumbs up, frankly.

I can't reccomend The Crown enough. Interesting menu, plenty of atmosphere, wonderful staff and really great food.

1  Thank Zoe D

Reviewed November 1, 2013

It is a real shame as it is probably one of our closest pubs but the Sunday lunch we had was shocking. The biggest issue was the meat, it was roast beef and the meat obviously been tenderized, as it looked as if it had been run over by a studded tire, the texture was bizarre. Unfortunately, all the tenderizing in the world obviously couldn't save this meat, it was as tough as old leather and tasted like nothing I ever wish to put in my mouth again. It also had a strange tang to it, a weird flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It was only on leaving the place that I wondered if it really was beef... in which case what was it... my stomach churns at the thought and I wince every time I pass the place and see the sign saying 'Fresh Food'. If it is fresh, which I sincerely doubt, then what exactly is it and how are they legally allowed to sell it.

2  Thank King_Bath
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Being a couple that are used to dining at the Ritz (London and Paris) we weren't quite sure what to expect at the Crown. We were greeted with friendly enough staff, albeit with a slightly hippie, grungy appearance.

Food was served fairly promptly. Oh my days man these were the best fish and chips iv ever had innit. My partner (we're heterosexuals by the way) had a burger which she gleefully ate.

The only thing that was missing was the absence of warmth. It was quite chilly. Now I like to turn the heating down to try and save cash (hell, I was once considering joining Green peace), but was it warm I would be recommending this place for a Michelin.

The end.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

The 2 course dinner menu for £12 is great value and the food was lovely...all clean plates, BUT a glass of white wine for £7 is inexcusable and will put us off going again.
Also the paper menus had seen better days.
The space is lovely and the experience should be better.
Didn't like dogs in restaurant.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stumbled across the crown en route to our hotel & luckily popped in for our evening meal. Good food, service & atmosphere.

1  Thank shonker53