“Excellent food, friendly service.”
Review of Barrel O' Beer

Barrel O' Beer
Ranked #12 of 15 Restaurants in Beer
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Under new management. Formerly known as Barrel O Beer & The Seafood platter. Now its reverted back to a pleasant traditional village pub with excellent ale and lager, darts board and 3 televisions that you can sit and watch a good footy match. Also good food available from 12:00pm till 14:30pm and then again 18:00pm till 20:30pm. Dogs are welcome in the pub at any time. Change in license will be happening soon, so the pub will be staying open for longer. BARREL OF BEER IS NOW OPEN 11AM TILL MIDNIGHT sun-thurs & 11am till 1am fri-sat.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A lovely meal in an excellent location. Service was friendly and efficient. A very busy evening but everyone appeared to be having a good time.
The food was first class, fresh and locally sourced - highly recommended.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

A small put style restaurant owned by long standing local family. Mostly fish caught locally by the Beer fishing folk is served tastfully with various salads. Also served is the local brew. The only outdoor seating is two bench seats looking onto the road. No seating at the rear unfortunately.
Situated about 200 mtres from the waters edge.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I came here in April 2013. Upon arriving we were disappointed by the decor but nonetheless we thought we'd give it a go as a local had said it was it good. There was only one other person in the venue but we knew we were out of season. We were given the menu and told that a few items were not available and certain items were adapted to meet the fish that presumably had been caught that day. One might think it best that the menu is designed per day to meet the fish supplied locally but there you go. The food turned out to be quite nice albeit overpriced. The fish of the day in fact was well priced but it was the starters that we felt was considerably overpriced. The biggest issue however was the service and decor. For the majority of the evening my wife and I were the only people in the restaurant but we had to wait ages for the front of house to check on us. My wife ended up having to walk over to the manager who was at the back chatting to a friend. No music no atmosphere poor decor. Disappointing.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had booked a table for 5 people .We had heard good things about this award winning restaurant.Service was ok but just that...ok.We were given the menus ,and spent 10 mins choosing.As we placed our orders....lobster please ( 2of us wanted this at £56 for two we were prepared to push the boat out )sorry we have run out...ok Crab then please...sorry we have run out....seafood platter?? Sorry we have no lobster or crab so cannot do a seafood platter....that reduced our choices to about 4remaining things ( fish) they did have.Rather disappointed I ordered crab spaghetti ....hardly any crab (I should have guessed as they had ran out!!) and very bland...I never add salt or pepper,I had to add both.....such a shame....A large table then came in and at least they were told no crab or lobster before they had chosen....one of the party ordered oysters as a starter...the waiter returned after taking the order to say sorry,we have run out of oysters.....so to re cap...this was a Saturday evening 7.00pm... A really nice fish restaurant ( clues in the name I guess The seafood platter!) except it definitely was not a seafood platter....No crab,NO lobster,No seafood platter No oysters...... You make your own minds up! ....perhaps we were just unlucky!?

2  Thank Jo C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited just after Christmas. We live locally and hadn't been since the name change. The food was excellent. We had two whole crab, two sea bream, oysters. Some things were not available on the menu but that was understandable given the Christmas period. The service was good , particularly the Polish guy. I don't think the owner was there. It was a bit more expensive than other pubs/restaurants in the area but not expensive for the food we had. Good to have a choice of local beers. The only criticism is that it's still very much a pub rather than a seafood restaurant so in my opinion it could do with a refurb and more ambient lighting. I don't think the decor does justice to the quality of food or price. But some people might like the olde worlde look. The other odd thing was that they couldn't do an Irish coffee due to not having the facilities or ingredients ... But in all a nice evening with excellent food.

Been to Barrel O' Beer? Share your experiences!