“Did Mum proud for her 80th!”
Review of The Dolphin Hotel

The Dolphin Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beer
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Did Mum proud for her 80th!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had Mums 80th at The Dolphin with a small family gathering of 12 for a formal sit down celebration in the restaurant, consisting of three courses. We all met up in the lounge for a drink and the staff just bent over backwards to accommodate us as one guest was in a wheel chair which posed no problem at all and I was able to run a tab at the bar and add it on to the lunch. We had organised our own Birthday Cake which we snuck into the kitchen and the waitress happily lit the candles and brought it through at the end of the meal with the coffees.
The food was absolutley outstanding (all the crab and fish dishes being fresh, cooked to perfection and so flavoursome) with incredibly generous portions but served in seperate dishes so as not to over phase! Simply ideal for the more elderly of the party with small appetites. The orders were all taken at the table and everyone got just what they asked for with no mistakes and all the food came out together, no easy ask but one The Dolphin perfected. I cannot praise the staff highly enough they were very attentive without being the slightest bit intrusive and always happy to oblige. Even sharing a desert or having just 2 starters posed no problem whatsoever. We over ran long past lunch time and when I appologised for keeping them got told it was no problem at all and to take just as long as we wanted. Could not have asked for a better venue and the perfect place to celebrate which even the rain couldnt spoil.
Two of the guests were staying at The Dolphin ( we would have been except for Mums broken knee cap which ment she couldnt climb the steep stairs to the bedrooms, no lift and no ground floor rooms) and we were able to join them for a delicious breakfast every morning. Again lovely staff who made us feel so welcome and were happy to oblige our slightest whim. No fuss, no red tape just a willingness to please which I cannot thank them enough for. We also spent a couple of evenings in their public bar and got welcomed with open arms by the locals. Thanks to all for making Mums special day so memorable and so good we hope to return for Christmas!
ps be aware that there are 2 entrances, the front one ideal for wheel chairs but the back right next to their private car park, and also a bar and a lounge so if meeting up with anyone be specific! Best bit of the lot the bill at the end way under my estimated total!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Karenhix
dolphinhotelbeer, Front Office Manager at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Dolphin Hotel, we appreciate your comments and are very pleased that you enjoyed your birthday and your meals here with us! I have forwarded your review to the Restaurant and Kitchen team, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Godalming
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I spent nine lovely days in beer and ate at the Dolphin for most of that time. The food was excellent as near home cooked as it could be. The staff were always friendly and made us feel very much at home. Thank you Dolphin for helping to make our holiday a special one. We will be back. Brian and Jackie. Godalming.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
dolphinhotelbeer, Front Office Manager at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Dolphin Hotel, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your meals with us and hope that you visit Beer, and us, again soon!
eastwood
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife Pauline and I had a great opportunity to visit Beer in Devon last weekend, Friday to tuesday morning, I had checked the weather online and as I just have a part time job and time off is no problem, we decided to go for it, I cant rate the place that we stayed in because that is just a nice perk belonging to a family member, but I can highly recommend THE DOLPHIN HOTEL AND RESTAURANT, were we ate on three of the nights, we eat out a lot, and am not prone to going on-line to sing different eateries praises, but, on this occasion I feel it would be a sin not to, everything was superb, service, quality and quantity of food, indeed I could not fault anything, price was also very reasonable.
To the people out there who are taking a trip to Beer, treat yourselves and visit the Dolphin, you will not regret it.
Enjoy.

Room Tip: I cannot rate the rooms or facilities because we only ate there, but if they are as good as the food...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank patrick&pauline
Thank you for your review of the Dolphin Hotel, I appreciate your comments and praise for our staff members. I have forwarded your review to the Restaurant and Kitchen team. We really hope to see you again soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I only write negative reviews if our experience was really bad. This hotel over qualified itself.

Booked room 8 - the family room, only a shower - no bath (was last of two rooms available). I didn't really mind that the room was above the pub entrance as they advised us before hand.

What I found completely unacceptable was the person that checked us in and showed us the room knew the shower didn't work - we didn't find this out until the morning (day of departure).

The following morning when telling reception, the same employee simply said 'we know, it's been like that for a year or maybe year and a half.

We'd paid £88 to stay the night. in a room with a shower that doesn't work (and no bath). No offer of money back, or alternative room to shower, just a demonstration of complete ignorance by someone that's probably worked way to long for his own good in this establishment, or any customer facing environment. Next day went without any shower / bath.

One other point - we're vegetarians. Breakfast menu has vegetarian options. Order the vegetarian options and you're told, sorry we no longer have vegetarian options. Why are they on the menu - this is something we looked at before checking in. In todays world, reprinting and laminating a menu is something that takes a few minutes and can be done at home.

We're frequent visitors to that particular area and won't ever stay there again...

Room Tip: If the hotel were free, I'd pay and stay elsewhere...
7 Thank LondonDavid123
Thank you for your review of the Dolphin Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us at all and understand that you will not be returning. That said I would like to address your negative comments. The shower was working and still is, hence why you were not told that it wasn't. The problem we have is with the shower pressure and the fact that if everyone is showering at the same time you will have low pressure or occassionally none at all, this can be overcome by waiting a few minutes and trying again. This doesn't excuse the problem and neither does it help you but please be assured that it is something we are taking action on and shall rectify. Your comments regarding the vegetarian breakfast have been passed to the Head Chef and management team and although we do not offer a vegetarian breakfast as such, we do offer a full breakfast minus sausage and bacon and with baked beans added or various options 'on toast' there is also a breakfast table with cereals, prunes and we also offer porridge and toast.
Bristol
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We have not stayed at this hotel for a long time and was very pleasantly surprised by the overall experience. The rooms were spotless, the staff very friendly and accommodating and you have the added bonus of free parking.
On the downside, the shower rarely worked in our room due to low pressure and the room cleaners whilst being very polite and friendly, one in particular, scrubbing the pavement outside! were very noisy right outside of the rooms from an early hour.
The breakfast was perfect, hot, freshly cooked and plenty of toast and coffee, served again by very obliging staff. We didn't dine here ourselves so can't comment on the other meals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SkimadBristol
Thank you for your review of the Dolphin Hotel, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive comments about our staff members. I note your comments regarding noise from the Housekeepers and have passed this information to the management team. The shower pressure is a problem in the morning at times when the Hotel is full and everyone is showering at once. It is something that is due to be rectified when the season passes and the plan is to add another boiler to the West wing so that we aren't running all 22 bedrooms off of the same boiler. It really is something that is not a problem all of the time and so it is difficult to manage accordingly. All we can do is apologise and hope that you will return again!
wirral
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Have just come back from this lovey hotel, have stayed before but it just gets better. The food is top class and the staff go out of there way to make your stay fantastic. I'm glutton free and it was no problem for the chef to give me any meal on the menu, my husband had grilled skate it was bigger than the plate.thanks for a lovey stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest review of the Dolphin Hotel, I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal in our Restaurant. We hope to see you again soon!
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Having had food here for several years the motto "familiarity breeds contempt" easily springs to mind! The restaurant staff are very rude and argumentative and will shout to enforce their views that button mushrooms are large sliced ones! The choice of potatoes are always the same, chipped, boiled and roast. Two tiny pieces of cauliflower with cheese are meant to serve three people and the chef says it is not his job to check the food leaving the kitchen! Ratouille is obviously their own version, fried onions and courgettes. There are better places to eat in Beer. This place obviously relies on the visitors not local people throughtout the year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank 55M55
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you have had a bad meal in our Restaurant, I see from your review that you have eaten with us many times over several years, so I'm guessing that you have previously enjoyed your meals so much so that you have returned.... I am sorry that you appear to be a reviewer that only reviews when you have something negative to say. Should you wish to discuss your dining experience with an Owner please feel free to pop in to arrange a meeting or telephone us to speak with a member of the family as we would like to have the opportunity to make good your opinion of us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beer
Masons Arms
#5 of 9 in Beer
Colebrooke House
Colebrooke House
#2 of 9 in Beer

Been to The Dolphin Hotel? Share your experiences!