“A Warm Welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Spice Merchant - CLOSED

Spice Merchant
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bexleyheath Kent
“A Warm Welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Had a very good meal in this restaurant at a reasonable price. The service was warm and welcoming. Decor is in need of an update - I thought it could have been a bit more plush but the food made up for this

Visited August 2014

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Not bad but needs a bit of a polish.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

To be honest, I'm never a fan of the lone Indian/Chinese restaurant in a seaside town; not enough competition, drab flavours because the locals "can't take the heat" etc. has, more than a couple of times, ended in poor experiences for us.

However, given that we were up against the Beer Regatta Week crowd (who swamped every other eatery in the village) we were surprised to find some empty tables at the Spice Merchant.

After a bit of fuss with being seated we were ready to order!

We had a couple of starters (Chicken Tikka, very nice and tender but could do with more flavour), a delicious Chicken Biryani for the main with Pilau rice and one of the nicest, almost grease-less naan breads I think I've ever had! My wife had a Lamb Dansak which was also excellent.

The drink situation was a bit lack-lustre (I had a pretty dismal diet-coke style drink and my wife just wanted a glass of tap-water that the waiter almost turned into a large bottle of Perrier) but we went for some nice grub primarily and that's what we got.

The restaurant itself was clean enough although, strangely for an Indian Restaurant, there were no beautiful colours, hangings, pictures etc. and so it could have been any kind of restaurant really which, as far as I'm concerned, is a bit of a missed opportunity.

Oh, and for all of our food and drink we only paid a paltry £29.50!

All-in-all a positive experience!

Woking, United Kingdom
“Dirty and rude. The food was tasteless.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our table was filthy and covered in stains. I counted at least four flys buzzing around, one of which ended up landing in my coke. When I politely asked for a new drink the waiter asked "Why - is it flat?" I told him to look in the glass at which point he saw the fly and loudly swore (in front of our ten year old).

When the food arrived it was utterly tastless and bland - quite a feat for an Indian restaurant. We couldn't get out fast enough. One of the worst dining experiences ever.

Westerham, United Kingdom
“Good value meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We have been visiting Beer for many years and always had to travel to Seaton for a curry, then along came the Spice Merchant replacing the traditional Smugglers Haunt restaurant. The food here is tasty, reasonable priced and I would recommend.

• Visited July 2014
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Hello again Folks,

If you find the review of help, please click the helpful green button at the end of the review. Ta.

We dined here on the evening of Friday 1st August, 2014.

I pre booked the table via e mail and everything worked just fine. I spoke to a local in a bar before setting off for the Restaurant and he said that the food was great, just be prepared for a wait of about an hour, as everything is cooked freshly.

He was right.

The Restaurant was busy, but when the food arrived for four, it was tasty, hot and plentiful. No issues whatsoever !

Would recommend / return.

Will also be reviewing Ginas Italian and the Dolphin Hotel.

Many Thanks