“Another Good meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We booked late and they fitted us in, as they had a big function going on, but the service was perfect as before, and our simple meal of Steaks was delicious, perfectly cooked as we had asked for and nicely served and more to the point was hot. It made a happy Wedding Anniversary for us both and we shall return. Only one minor gripe and that is they don't change the standard menu that often, but its not a complaint, just a reflection as they do have specials, and not their fault that I didn't like them!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We took our two adult daughters and their husbands for Sunday lunch over the late summer Bank Holiday. Some chose beef, some lamb and one the pork - all the meats were excellent and with lovely gravy. Even the non-beef orders came with brilliant and large Yorkshire puddings at our request. There was an excellent choice of vegetables - cauliflower cheese, broccoli, carrots, greens and roast potatoes. So much in fact that even our two ever hungry son-in-laws couldn't finish it all! This pub is always buzzy. There are friendly staff serving at the bar and waitress at the tables. The inn has a large bar area, where you can eat as well as two separate restaurant areas and is child welcoming. The inn is authentic with great décor, has comfortable settees in the lower bar area and even Sunday papers to browse. What more could you want in rural Wiltshire for the perfect Sunday lunch.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had heard that the Pub/Restaurant was on the up so visited as a foursome. The other couple are long standing members of the pub business ad one of them is a trained chef, so they know their stuff. Some Trip Advisor reviews had said that it was best to eat in the Restaurant area rather than in the Bar. This turned out to be good advice. The pre-dinner drinks were taken in the Bar and indeed as some reviews said, there is a culture there of locals lining the bar to do their drinking. However, we had no problem getting through the bunch to the bar. We were not at all hassled to hurry with placing our orders and the young staff member who dealt with us was charming. The Restaurant atmosphere was fine but you just have to accept that as it is opposite the Bar which also opens onto the Restaurant, the noise that comes through the wide open gap of the bar which serves both areas means that there is no pretention of a "secluded" dining space. But remember it is a "pub" so the bustle goes with what it is. The wine list was not extensive and why should it be? The prices were by today's standards not excessive and the wines we chose were good. One thing which is noticeable is that every thing you have with your choice of main course is extra, so if you are having steak, do not expect fries to come with it, you need to order them and pay accordingly. My wife ordered duck breast and it was served to perfection. The size of the portion was very generous to the point that she asked for and received a doggy bag to take home the unconsumed part. It left her so replete that she forwent her usual pudding. My steak was perfect. I ordered medium rare and it came to me absolutely to my satisfaction. On the Continent, they have a better designation; "a point" in France, "a puntino" in Italy and "a punto" in Spain. It simply means the steak is brought to the point of being just cooked. We need an English equivalent. Parking at the pub was easy. There is a nice garden and the place has a generally prosperous feel about it. I highly recommend a visit there for dinner.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was dinner out for my wife and me, haven't been for years and heard it was getting good reviews. We were not disappointed from start to finish, the food was excellent although we couldn't manage a starter. The steaks were perfectly cooked, well garnished, the side orders were huge, well cooked and great value for money. The deserts were superb especially the cheese board, no skimping on the cheese and from my wife, a huge thank you for her sticky toffee pudding. Even the coffee with brownie was delicious and well presented. The service from the staff was fantastic, they could not have been more attentive, helpful, polite and knowledgeable about the menu and food. Overall great value for money and we will be back, keep up the good work, well done and thank you.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We visited The Angel for lunch way back in June - meant to write a review then...! The sevice was very good, the food was excellent! I had a fishcake served on creamed spinach, topped with a poached egg. I wondered whether it would be filling enough (as I was rather hungry!) but was advised by the member of staff who took our order that I really wouldn't need a side order of new potatoes or fries...and she was right! Utterly scrumptious homemade fishcake, perfectly cooked and seasoned creamed spinach, soft poached egg...delicious!
Thoroughly recommended!