“Excellent family holiday!”

Oscar Suites & Village
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Agia Marina
“Excellent family holiday!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After reading several negative comments regarding over booking of rooms we e-mailed the hotel a few days before we travelled for reassurance but we did not receive a response, but on arrival we had no problems and were taken to our 1bedroom apartment (121) which was perfect for our needs (2adults+2children). We were right next to the pool, close to the bar and had a sea view!
During our 2 week stay we were very impressed with the high standards of cleanliness both in our room and in communal areas, the cleaners work very hard here! Our room was cleaned every day except Sunday, towels changed daily and sheets every 3 days.
We were concerned that travelling in August and reading previous reviews that it would be very crowded at the pools, but this was not the case. On several occasions we had either of the pools to ourselves and at its busiest it was never crowded.
We attended the Greek theme night which was put on by the hotel, buffet food was really good with a good selection of traditional foods on offer, and the dancing was great.
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis which I would recommend, breakfast was served from 8-10am and there was a good variety of cooked and continental choices.
The only reason this hotel does not get 5 stars from us is due to the level of service provided. We had to wait a long time to even get given a menu for drinks at the bar, and then the order took even longer. For this reason we did not eat in the restaurant Valentino, although the food did look nice. Although service was very slow, most of the staff were very friendly.
Oscar is situated in a great location on the edge of agia marina, with access to the beach just over the road.
We were expecting free wifi but this is not the case, 3€ for 1hour and then the signal was not strong enough to use in our room. Air con was expensive!
Overall we had a lovely holiday here and can't fault the accommodation.

1 Thank Jessica D
Dimitris K, General Manager at Oscar Suites & Village, responded to this review, May 1, 2016
We appreciate your review as we take your opinions seriously in order to improve.
Lots of things have changed since you were here, and we can gladly inform you of many pleasant surprises from several corners of the hotel.
The restaurant has gotten a makeover and is proud to hold one of the highest standards in the area with great reviews. We have also made major changes regarding our breakfast, and are looking forward for you to see the results.
Wi-Fi and Aircondition is free of charge for you to use as much as you want.
I could go on forever, but I would be more than happy to show you around to see it with your own eyes during your next visit.
Thank you again for your kind words, and please do not hesitate to contact me by email or telephone if you have any more questions.
All the best,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I visited Chania in August 2012 and stayed at Oscar Suites & Village back then. Please refer to my 2012 review through my profile.
This time around in 2013, I decided to come back to Chania for the summer and looked around for hotels. Naturally, I checked out Oscar's website that was redone and highlighted massive refurbishment that had taken place over the past winter. I thought to myself that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to Oscar -- a hotel that was amazing for the value of money and quality of service in 2012.
I made the booking through by emailing Oscar through their website. The email was addressed and reverted within 24 hours.
Happy and dandy, I arrived at the hotel on 7 August 2013 (apparently the peak of busy season). I was greeted by faces familiar from last year -- an older man called Adonis and the general manager called Dimitris from Katakis family. They were very warm and pleasant. I was guided to my room. It was a very nice en-suite double bedroom with self contained kitchen.
While at the entrance and then navigating our way to the room, I couldn't help but notice the face lift the hotel had, and the new restaurant (Valentino Pasta & Grill) on premises.
The room was extremely clean with new furniture and appliances. Room service was prompt with my requests turned around in reasonable time (please note that it is not a 5* hotel).
Although not big on eating in hotels I stay in, I was requested to try cuisines from the new restaurant by the GM (D Katakis), and so I did. To my surprise, the culinary experience was wonderful. Over the period of my stay (7 August until 18 August) I had at least one of my meals at Valentino Pasta & Grill and enjoyed it thoroughly. Chicken Estragon and Philadelphia are my top recommendations. Your taste buds would be enticed with every bite.
To keep their guests engaged, the hotel management organised theme nights. I was present at two of them: a) Greek night and b) Latin night.
There were frolics and the atmosphere was festive on both the evenings. We had meals and our drinks, and were offered complimentary traditional drinks as well. The dance troupe got all the guests involved after their own mesmeric performance. Overall, the two evenings were very well spent at the hotel (and its restaurant) after a long day of swim at local beach.
From a location perspective, the hotel is ideally located at the cusp of Agia Marina and Platanias. Beaches and bars are a walking distance. There is mini golf adjacent which is a good for a light day / evening.
The hotel staff were very warm and courteous., Perhaps they recognised me from 2012. Their smiles and service are worth mentioning.
In terms of connectivity (yes, we can not stay away from work even on holidays), there is a strong and stable wifi connection available in all public areas of the hotel. I got a EUR 35 weekly unlimited WiFi voucher which worked perfectly fine for my light holiday work and reading.
Overall, I was astonished as to how the management at Oscar topped their service offerings from 2012 to 2013. I am more then impressed. I have decided that Oscar is my summer residence whenever I visit Crete :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank alive_silkjive
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review of your stay here at Oscar Suites & Village - this truly means the world to us!
I am very proud to announce that we have many, many surprises waiting for you this year with more improvements than I am able to count.
Limitless Wi-Fi and Aircondition is also free from charge.
We will be waiting, and we hope to see you again this summer.
All the best from all of us here at Oscar Suites & Village
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of the entertainment capital between Agia Marina and Platanias where the main beaches, bars and clubs are. The rooms and common areas are super clean. There are two good sized swimming pools where you can relax at any point of the day or the night! To complement this in the hotel operates Valentino restaurant which offers amazing cuisine. We dined there most of the nights and really loved it! Furthermore the hotel was run by professionals with years of experience in the area of tourism and this was evident by the excellent services provided throughout our stay. Staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay! I am staying there again next summer!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments and kind words regarding your stay at Oscar Suites & Village in 2013. We are beyond excitement to show you around this year as there have been many improvements since your last visit.
We would like to wish you a very warm welcome back to Oscar Suites & Village this summer.
All the best with wishes of an amazing summer
Helsinge, Denmark
Reviewed August 15, 2013

At arrival, the staff was smiling and friendly. After checking in, we were taken to our appartment. 5 months ago we booked a two bedroom appartment directly at the homepage of the hotel. However, we were only presented to a one bedroom appartment. We complained immediately but the staff just said that he couldn't do anything about it. We would have to wait 4 hours to talk to the manager. We were travelling with our two small children so that was very inconvenient. We temporarily accepted the room as we had a dinner appointment with friends living on another hotel.

We went back to the reception and complained and asked for an explanation. Now, they said that our booked appartment was in disorder (hydraulic issues).

In the evening, the socalled manager - a man with long hair in his 30's - finally was present. He said the problem couldn't be fixed within the week so there was no other possibilities than accepting the room. He argued that the one bedroom appartment was suitable to our small family and we booked to a favourable price. >:-( No manager shall ever justify the needs of my family!! As compensation we could have free breakfast - a ridiculous compensation compared to the difference between the booked+paid and the delivered services. He also told us that neither of the people in any of the other 2-bedroom appartments would be checking out during the week. This was a lie, we could see during the week.

The so-called manager didn't talk to us the rest of our stay - we were simply ignored. It seemed like a joke that he was the manager.

Pros: Nice pools, friendly service at breakfast, nice rooms (if you get what you book) and nice surroundings.

As you can read from other reviews, we are not the only one with this kind of experience. It seems like a scam so beware and only book through well-known and locally present agencies! (Tui, Apollo, Thomson, etc.)

4 Thank Joergen_Cr
mumtothree
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Tonight we returned from the Oscar Suites and I wanted to write my review immediately to prevent other families experiencing the same problems as us.

A couple of days before going to Crete, I read the recent reviews on TripAdvisor about the Oscar Suites, concerning air conditioning and family rooms being overbooked. We'd booked via Alpha Rooms and they clearly state that all apartments have free air conditioning, when I clarified this before departure, they backtracked and said it was all apartments, except family rooms! On arrival at the Oscar Suites, you have to pay for air conditioning irrespective of your accommodation, it's €5 per day and is only available for 8 hours per day.

I emailed the Oscar Suites 48 hours before leaving the UK to notify them of our late arrival and also expressed our concerns about the recent overbooking of family rooms. We never received a reply and it became evident why upon our arrival. It was around 1.30am when our taxi dropped us off. We're tired, with 3 very tired children, the man at the reception appeared pleasant and lead us through the complex to our room. However, he didn't take us all the way there, he stopped at the bottom of a large flight of stairs and told us to turn left at the top. At the time we thought this rude but it very quickly became obvious why he'd done this. We were give a studio and an apartment next door to each other and not the family room we wanted. The room numbers were 234 and 235 and they were both very nice, but not what we'd booked. However, they expected us to let the children sleep in one apartment and us in the other. My husband went back to Reception to complain and the man was awful, he told us we should be grateful for having 2 kitchens and bathrooms. After a very heated argument he told us to come back in the morning. This was the tall, slim man, mid 30's who wears his hair tied back.

The next day was a disaster, the older grumpy man was there, he's generally cleaning the pools first thing and wears the light blue polo shirt. He pleaded ignorance and kept telling my husband to come back, first 10am, then 12, then 2 etc. It was a complete nightmare and we were asking to be moved to some accommodation that suited our family, but he was extremely unhelpful, again telling us we should be grateful.

We contacted Alpharooms persistently over the day and they started pressuring the hotel. Finally, they told us we could move to a family room the next day. Without Alpharooms intervention they wouldn't have moved us, it was obvious they didn't care.

The room we ended up with was number 135, there was a sofa/bed in the living room and two bedrooms upstairs. It suited our needs perfectly.

We were also lead to believe that the Oscar Suites has a free wifi area, this is not the case. You can buy Internet access at a cost of €3 per hour, it's cheaper to purchase a drink and sit at any of local bars and restaurants who all offer free wifi.

Unfortunately, we felt uncomfortable for the rest of the holiday and found the management extremely unhelpful and rude. It was the same two men we'd dealt with previously. My husband needed 1 extra pillow to put under an injured knee, the younger man on reception (with the long hair) suggested I put my head between his legs to make him comfortable! Where in the world would you expect that response, we have never been so insulted. My husband asked 5 times in total for the pillow and in addition to the response above, he was also told they didn't have any spares because the hotel was full, then that they'd drop one off the next day, then they told us to ask the cleaner......

We didn't eat at the Oscar Suites as a result of all this upset, but I will be honest and say that everywhere was very smart, clean and well maintained. The lady who manned the snack bar by the rear pool was always very pleasant and smiling, as were the cleaners who were always busy around the site.

The hotel is very well situated for the beach, buses, bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: Check they have availability before you travel
5 Thank MumtothreeMumtothree
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family of 5 booked a 3 bedroom apartment early in November 2012. As usual early because we want to stay together as a family when we're on vacation. The shock was therefore great when our tour company a few days before departure reports that Oscar Suites has overbooked 3 bedroom apartments and no longer able to offer us this. This shows unserious operation of the hotel and lack of respect for their customers.

We completed your holiday in two one bedroom apartments. The rooms are decent and neat. The kitchen is very sparsely equipped and have mostly only 2 of each, even though we stayed 3 people in the room.

The hotel offers airconditioning for 35 Euro per week. Airconditing is only possible to use in the afternoons and until 0430 in the mornings. In addition, the system lacks the capacity to cool rooms in summer. Most of the guests we spoke to complained about this, but the hotel felt this was as it should be. If you sleep badly in the heat or would like the opportunity to take a break from the heat of the day, then this is not the hotel for you.

Other services such as WiFi is also expensive 35 Euro per week per unit.
Agia Marina is a great place and we'll be back, but we will not return to Oscar Suites again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank asol44
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

The man in the reception doesnt know anything about service! Not a smile. We had to argue to get airconditioning that we already had paid for. We also had to pay extra for wifi that shoulld be free.
We could hear every word the neigbour said and every sound.
It took forever to get the food at the restaurant, so we gave up eating there.
The pools are ok.

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
Minos Village
Minos Village
#12 of 31 in Agia Marina

Been to Oscar Suites & Village? Share your experiences!