“Great beachside hotel”
Review of Santa Marina Plaza

Santa Marina Plaza
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Agia Marina
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here while I was on business in Crete and recommend it highly. Clean, convenient and cozy and a very good price. I appreciated the beach side dining and very friendly (do anything) staff. Lots of choices on this beach strip, but I would absolutely bring my family for my next holiday. No booking problem, but then again I came somewhat off season.

Room Tip: The sea view is worth the extra effort.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
GiannoulisHotels, Διευθυντής at Santa Marina Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Jack C,

Thank you very much for your great review and for taking this time to review us!.
The beach A la Carte is an idea which started from last season and our guests seem to appreciate the romantic ambience it offers and the very tasteful Mediterranean menu!
We are really happy to read that you are planning to visit us again with your family and we are looking forward to welcoming you at our Hotel.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We have just come back from 10nights at this lovely hotel. we booked a ocean view room but on arriving were upgraded to room 319 which is one of the two suites. wow what a surprise, the room and hugh balcony were beyond our wildest dreams. it was lovely to chill out on the almost private balcony.
We were half board and the food was good, plenty of choice and quality ingredients, we were able to change one of our dinners for an a-la-carte which was served on the beach, the evening got a little bit chilly but the food and service was excellent.
All the staff were so friendly and when we had a couple of things go wrong in the room it was promply dealt with.
The beach is very clean and we did a lot of walking in both directions.
There are only a couple of downsides, we had no airer to dry stuff and maybe some gentle background music in the dining room areas at evening meal would be nice as we found it very quiet and no atmosphere, just our opinion after all.
Thankyou to all the staff who made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: nearly all the rooms have some sort of sea view, 318 and 319 are the best rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear dorsetapplecakie,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review, and for you excellent scoring.

We are really glad to have met you and grateful to hearing that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and that you enjoyed all of our available facilities. At Santa Marina Plaza we strong;y believe on the personal service and we always try to satisfy our guests' wishes!

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel on your next visit at Crete.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I just came back from my short vacation.Stayed in Santa Maria Plaza end of April 2013.Was very quiet and not fully booked.I Get room 318.I was so surprise with this accomodation !Whats a view from terrace.Great offer for B&B customers 10 Euros for dinner was very good,Great food.Staff very friendly and helpful.Very covenient many shops and supermakets around.Definitely reccomend to everyone who preffer luxurios stay.

Room Tip: Room 318 with huge terrace,sunbads and sunshade provided
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Adam H
GiannoulisHotels, Διευθυντής at Santa Marina Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear Mr Adam H,

Thank you for reviewing us with an excellent score!

It is really great to hear that you had a wonderful time at Santa Marina Plaza!

We hope that we will see you again in the near future!

Best regards

The management

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just returned from Santa Marina Plaza and I must say the hotel is spotlessly clean, food is ok, sometimes it is not very warm which I think can be dangerous especially the meat. I would rate this hotel as 4* NOT 5* as I have been to some 5* hotels and this certainly isn't in the 5* bracket. I have worked in catering for years so I know what should be expected from a 5* establishment, now in saying that the al la carte meal was first class. The staff are mostly very nice especially Marina in the dining room she certainly knows her job and does it very well. There seems to be a re-occurring problem of over booking which should not be happening if bookings are being taken and recorded correctly, so lets just say be careful who you book with. I think it is better to book directly with the hotel. I would stay again, the hotel is nice, its quiet, the views are beautiful but the only thing that was really annoying was the amount of beach traders annoying you on the beach it was awful. I know this has nothing to do with the hotel but we were pestered with them.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ccmow777
GiannoulisHotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Santa Marina Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear ccmow777,

Thank you very much for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel!

According to your notice about the temperature of our served food, the manager and the chef are already alerted, in order to adjust it to the needs of our guests.

Regarding your refer to the beach traders, we would like to inform that the beach does not belong to the hotel, it is although rented by the hotel and we are putting very strong efforts to reduce these incidences.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at our Hotel on your next visit at Crete.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel is far from lovely Chania old town and harbour and also far from all the fun in Platanias. We visited early October, and Agia Marina was very quiet. If you wanted nightlife, you had to take a bus or cab. One thing I do not understand: why have an outdoor pool that is simply a decoration? The water was icy. And we had a room with a non-view: a roof and a wall, if you really stretched yourself you could spot the sea behind a tree.
The breakfast was nice. And so were the beds.

Room Tip: Do not accept a low number, 01 or 02
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Meiju M
GiannoulisHotels, Διευθυντής at Santa Marina Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Dear Meiju M,

Thank you very much for taking this time to comment us on Tripadvisor.
The location of our Santa Marina Plaza is clearly on our official web site and on any web site that somebody can make a reservation from. It is 8 kilometres or 15 minutes drive to Chania city centre and about 2 kilometresor5 minutes drive to Platanias. We do not believe that is distance can be characterised as to be far. Anyway, we believe that you should choose a hotel to Platanias or into the city of Chania, and this is something that the hotel cannot take any blame of as it was your choice to visit Santa Marina Plaza which is clearly locatd in Aghia Marina.
The outdoor pool is not for a decoration. Any of our guest can swim and they actually do so until today. Maybe the atmosphere temperatures during your stay was not too high as it can be the case in autumn sometimes. Due to this fact, the temperature at water in the pool dropped down. In any case our swimming pool has fresh water and is not advertised as a heated one. So, again you knew about this in advance.

regarding your view from the room it is something that is quite objective. Some guest are requesting from us these rooms on the groundfloor. If you were not totally happy with the room, you could have given us a chance to change it, however we did not receive such an information from your side.

We would like to thank you once again for your comment and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in our Hotel.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Firstly, I would like to refer you to my review "Perfect Holiday" from my previous visit, 7th to 21st June of this year, please read this prior to continuing.

After reading the above, I can continue,in that, both my wife and I looked forward to a further two weeks holiday at the "Plaza" and we were not disappointed.

On our arrival at the "Plaza", on 20th September, we were greeted by the staff as if we were "old friends", who had been away and had now returned. They were wonderful.

I can only describe the "Plaza" as an "Oasis", for no matter what hassles there are at the front of the hotel, as you walk through the front door's, you walk into a quiet tranquil area with "friends" around you.

On entering our room, it was well presented and had a bottle of wine and fruit on the table to greet us. I must admit, at our request, it was even the same room which we occupied in June.

The meals again were very good, with choices from both Greek and an international cuisine.

The "a la carte" menu was still being served on the beach, which was wonderful, and the selection was superb. I believe that we attended one of the last to be served on the beach for this season.

Although there were many nationalities at the "Plaza" during our stay, their greetings were pleasant, even with the language barrier.

May I yet again, thank the management and "all" of the staff for their personal touches to make this another holiday to remember.

All in all, I can only say that this was another "Perfect Holiday"!!

Penny and Barrie

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barrie S

Dear Barrie S,
Thank you very much for comment again on Tripadvisor.
First of all, we would like to inform you that we are really happy when we are welcoming repeating guests to our Hotel.

The best reward for us is the satisfaction and the pleasure of our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our Santa Marina Plaza Luxury Boutique Hotel next year.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel. The best thing about this hotel is the service we received. Everyone was so helpful and welcoming and had a positive attitude which seemed so genuine and not fake.
We liked our room which had a lovely garden view and was so near the sea; the sound of the ocean was breathtaking and we had all the privacy we wanted.
We did a lot of walking and found the reception staff great at helping to organise a trip for us.
The cleaner was exceptional at keeping on top of our mess from the hiking.
The location is great with busses in all directions of Western Crete and the sea on your doorstep.
We liked breakfast and dinner; they do a dope roast chicken.
When things go wrong usually my husband writes the hotel review. This time he has got none to say hence I am stepping in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CCB186338

Dear CCB186338,
Thank you very much for your excellent scoring on Tripadvisor.
It is great to hear that you enjoy your stay and all of the facilities of our Santa Marina Plaza Luxury Boutique Hotel.
Thank you for all your compliments! We really appreciate it!

We are looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel on your next visit at Crete.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agia Marina
#14 of 31 in Agia Marina
Vergina Beach Hotel
Vergina Beach Hotel
#8 of 31 in Agia Marina

Been to Santa Marina Plaza? Share your experiences!