we booked this hotel b&b as it is the sister hotel of the cavo spada in Crete and part of the Guanoullis group. we stayed at the cavo spada the week before all inclusive and wanted to eat out in the surrounding restaurants for our second week.
the service is ,as we hoped it would be, excellent.
the hotel itself is advertised as an adult only hotel - and it is to all intents and purposes, but we did see a child at breakfast one morning? the beach area which is very, very nice does cater for the public so you may find families next to you as we did. my only concern about this is that on several occasions guests from the hotel could not access the beach facilities while members of the public - largely guests of the hotel next to it - enjoyed the privacy and peace of a largely adult setting. my only criticism of the beach is area is that many guests drop their cigarette butts into the sand, despite the hotel providing ash trays . it is disgusting and alarming that so many Europeans still smoke! the hotel should consider doing a cherrypick in the morning to counter this poor behaviour of many of its guests. there is a nice grass area facing the sea and we think the hotel should utilise this more by providing parasols here - those around the pool do not provide much shade and are not used that much - why would you with such a fabulous beach front!
the breakfast is superb and the service from all staff is really first class.
the manager and reception staff are always around and very helpful.
we paid for a sea view room and were in room 311 which is one of the best rooms in the hotel.
the bathroom is a little on the small side and a little tired looking but the cleaning was excellent.
the room itself had been freshly painted and the high roof made it appear bigger. again the cleaning was excellent but it may be an idea to remove the remains of squashed mosquitos from the walls and ceilings after guests leave!
our room was not available when we arrived due to a booking issue. we were put in garden room 315 which you cannot book on the hotel website. small wonder! it is disgusting! water damage has left a bad smell, the sink didn't work properly and generally the room was very grubby. we complained and the manager was apologetic and gave us what we asked for - a full refund for one day.
I can understand that a small hotel wants its best rooms booked all the time but its not a good idea to piss off customers who have paid in advance and are paying 190 euros a night for a room!
I believe there have been previous concerns about over bookings?
the bottom line is do not accept a garden room - they need to be gutted or not used at all. they have no place in this hotel.
I don't think we would go back as we were not that impressed with Agia marina as a resort, despite the fact that there are lots of good restaurants. the hotel is however a very pleasant place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SANTA MARINA PLAZA Hotel is built at the sun-blessed beach of Aghia Marina, at a mere 8 kilometers from the city of Chania. It’s looking forward to offering to every visitor of the island, an unforgettable stay in one of its 49 luxurious rooms and 2 Junior Suites.All hotel rooms have magnificent view of the sea and are equipped with a Mini-Bar, Air-Conditioning, Satellite TV, Radio, two direct dial telephones, wireless internet line, electronic safe, bathroom covered in marble and a hair dryer. In addition to the above, Laundry service, Childcare service, Room service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Bookgreece.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Santa Marina Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Marina Plaza Hotel Agia Marina
- Santa Marina Plaza Chania
- Santa Marina Plaza Agia Marina, Chania, Crete