“The Honeymoon of Dreams”

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2006

This hotel was a dream come true. My husband and I just got back and I fell in love with Costa Rica and this hotel. The staff was great. The sights and grounds were amazing. We had an upgraded oceanview room with a balcony and the view!!!! No words can describe. Do not listen to the negatives this place was nothing but positive. The day tours are also a must we enjoyed the canopy, hoarseback riding, and the sea kayaking.

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed May 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed at los suenos resort for 4 days and LOVED IT - infact it far exceeded our expectations. I disagree with some past comments that this is a generic american hotel. We found the architecture and layout of the hotel to be exocitc, original and appealing (loved all the teak furniture, doors, etc). The pool layout is spectacular and the food was delicious and beautifully presented (buffet brunch was out of this world). We were probably most impressed with the staff, however. They were all so incredibly friendly and helpful. Your glass was never left empty, if a fork was dropped it was immediately replaced without having to ask - and always with a smile. My husband also raved about the golf course, which winds its way through lush mountains and open green expanses (spotted several toucans and sun-bathing iguanas on the course). Our only disappointment was with the beach, which is really not very appealing (dark, rocky sand). Still, the location of the resort more than makes up for this: it is just a few minutes drive from so many spectacular attractions (tree-top ziplining adventure, alligator viewing, horse-back riding, tree-top canopy tours, an amazing national park which boasts a beautiful beach and waterfalls, to name a few). We will definitely return to this laid-back paradise.

13  Thank 74SophieM
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I could not agree more with the previous review. It is a very generic Marriott. My husband and I stayed there for 3 nights (May 6-9) and we were happy to leave. The grounds were beautiful and very clean. The staff was excellent, with a special kudos for housekeeping.

However one could well be anywhere and not know different, because, while the Marriott is the usual lush & beautiful & and impeccably maintained and landscaped, we just didn't feel enough of Costa Rica while staying here.

The big corporate conference that overlapped our stay and seemed to take over the facility accentuated our alienation from our tropical vacation, because we then felt like we were back in corporate America. Not low pricing was more Hawaiin than seemingly Central American, but we found this to be the same everywhere we stayed in Costa Rica.

The beach at the Marriott is 100% natural however this is actually a problem also, as the beach is not particularly attractive. The adjacent resort facility actually added white sand in contrast to the natural mud-looking beach.

The breakfast is noteably good and was one of the high points of our stay there.

For this area, we much preferred Villa Caletas, where we stayed for 2 nights after the Marriott.

6  Thank TravellerVA
Reviewed May 12, 2006

Once you drive through the gates of the Marriott Resort you could be staying at a resort anywhere is the world. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful but generic and there is nothing to suggest that you are in Costa Rica. The beach is truly awful. It is rocky, has garbage scattered on it and isn't groomed. The resort charges exorbitant fees for everything, including internet access which at $260/night for 5 nights was simply insulting. The sports bar and restaurant at the marina are quite good but the food at the hotel itself was expensive and of average quality. The service was good and the staff was friendly. I was there for a conference and luckily also spent 5 days driving around the Nicoya Peninsula, which gave me a taste of the real Costa Rica, or I would have been very disappointed with my vacation. If I ever decide to attend that conference again I will stay elsewhere in the area.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank adventure4family
Reviewed May 11, 2006

planned to spend 3 nights at los suenos as part of a 9 day costa rican trip. we stayed only one night only because it was too late in the day to return to our previous hotel. there was a large business group staying at the hotel so the pool and restaurant areas were noisy. i had booked a room with a king size bed and was given 2 doubles, also no balcony and a view they called mountain, i called parking lot. repeated attempts with management to have the room changed were met with indifference despite being told we were celebrating my birthday. the manager did send up a bottle of wine but it arrived at 8 pm just as we were going to dinner. the pools and public areas were beautiful but the rooms were typical generic hotel rooms, you could have been anywhere. we checked out in the morning and returned to Si Como No where we had a beautiful balcony overlooking the trees in the jungle and the ocean. we were awakened each morning by the sound of birds and monkeys. it was heaven.

11  Thank nbeck
Reviewed April 25, 2006

I just returned from a site inspection of this hotel, for a large meeting. All I can say is, thank GOD for the Marriott Los Suenos! I also considered the Paradisus, which was not up to our standards at all. The Marriott, on the other hand, was beautiful! I loved the Haciend-style architecture and decor. We ate in two of the 8 restaurants on site and enjoyed every mouth full. The menus offer just enough Americanized Cuise, mixed with local specialities. If you're bringing a group to Costa Rica, this is "THE" hotel to use. I cant wait to return with my group, next year!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank SavvyPatron
Reviewed April 22, 2006

My boyfriend and I just returned from 5 days at the Marriott and loved every moment of it! The staff was extremely helpful the entire time and very prompt with every request. Check in was a breeze, they were waiting for us out front when we arrived and took us right to the room, never even had to check in at the desk (I have traveled all around the world and have never had this before). The chef at the restaurant even cooked fish that we had caught one day and had it delivered to our room, was excellent. I agree with other reviewers that the beach isn't the best, but the scenery and setting make up for that! The marina is top notch, we chartered a large fishing boat 2 days and the fishing was superb! We caught 10 sailfish and 1 dorado between the 2 of us. We had just been in Cabo the month before and the fishing was much better in CR than Cabo.

This is an Americanized hotel, which I enjoyed, I like having the amenities that I am used to. Some people want a real CR experience, but I have been there before and trust me, having hot water and electricity are nice!!! (There are some hotels that don't have hot water at all and the electric goes out at night). I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. I suggest an ocean view room as the view really is breathtaking.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank gfourgal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
Hotel Villa Caletas
#2 of 3 in Punta Leona
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!