“Wow nice property! ”

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Old school Spanish design, huge pool, three or four good restaurants. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Amazing view from the room of Costa Rican mountains and beach. Pool is enormous, like 7 pools all connected. Each pool separated by small foot bridge. Spa services were great, really clean and energizing smells of the jungle, got out all the knots in my back! Housekeeping took care of the room, but remember you're in the jungle.. if you leave out food or sugar bugs will find it. Short drive to to public beach opposite the resort, few stores and restaurants. We did not golf but the course looked beautiful. Also short drive to adventure or surfing tours in jaco. Overall I had a great experience and got a good price. Huge property, well maintained, very comfortable! Highly Recommended!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Diana D, General Manager at Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your review!! Your words describe in a perfect way our resort! We hope to see you soon!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in late September. We had a suite facing the ocean, overlooking the grounds and pool in the foreground. The room was fantastic, very clean, had a large bath and half (!)- the half bath was in the sitting area. Robes, slippers, etc.

The grounds are very beautiful, the pool is large, but planned such that there are very small intimate areas of the pool that connect with a large central portion. The plantings which are native are just lovely, and you see iguanas walking around the property. No bugs. The ocean is right there, but no beach really. So if you are a big beach person, this is not your resort. However you will have fun because there is so much else. in fact we walked past the golf course (got a jogging route map) and saw macaws, a monkey and 2 toucans.

The food at breakfast was excellent, with lots of choices, very fresh. The drinks at the bar were very good. We ate one dinner which was good, not great. The service was always excellent.
The property is quite beautiful, the conference area is cordoned off from the main areas, and I am sure most guests did not even know there was a 100 people conference going on (my husband was attending it). This to me was a winning feature, because it can spoil one's holiday to see conference posters, etc.

We did not have a car and it seemed somewhat far away from other places. We did arrange a tour to Manuel Antonio on our own (will be reviewing separately). Cannot speak to hotel arranged activities or spa or golf. All in all, really nice.

3  Thank Chkar
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great views,beds are excellent,pool is fab,hotel staff if very polite,beach is clean. Amazing buffet breakfast with fresh fruits, omelets, juice, coffee, and also authentic costa rican dishes. Also right near are some local costa rican restaurants next door in Playa Herradura with great prices! You can get an awesome ceviche and a beer for $10. Have fun!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. We stayed in 302 and it was perfect and had ocean views vs pool view...
2  Thank JillNewsomMackey
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is very beautiful, don't get me wrong - but we did feel a little bit jealous of the couples we spotted coming out of the private condo areas that are near the Marriott. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we did think to ourselves that extra little bit of seclusion might have been more romantic for us. That said, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous and the whole resort is just amazing!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean. It's worth every penny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SusanAndBobBurnet
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for the second time and absolutely love it. We always come during their slow season in September and October. The resort was empty, quiet and the service was the best.
Our room overlooked the pool and the ocean and had a balcony that was great for sipping
a morning coffee or having a night cap after a busy day. Food is delicious but expensive if you don't have the all inclusive which I highly suggest! the tours are fun and the spa services very relaxing. If you eat or have a drink at the bar, Fabian is extremely professional and helpful! If you go to the swim up bar, Karol and Keytlen are the best. Tell them Debi & Nick say hello!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a balcony. It's worth it!
1  Thank dnudnk
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights on my Marriott points in July and wow, the hotel, staff, food, pool, golf, etc. are one of the best I experienced in Costa Rica. Only few minutes away from busy Jaco for other bars/restaurants/shops, but unlike in town, it is very quiet. The room I stayed was a King room. It was spacious, foam pillows, mattress was very good, clean, and had a great view of the ocean.
My only complain there was I really didn't want to leave after my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here the first 2 nights of our honeymoon in September 2013. I chose this place because we are Marriott rewards junkies and because my husband loves to golf so I wanted to fit that into our schedule. We ended up getting a great rainy season deal of $129/night which included a great buffet breakfast.

Upon our arrival, we were pleasantly welcomed with an upgraded room when we told the front desk it was our honeymoon. We had a lovely balcony with a view of the pool and beach. The room was nice but the bathroom was nothing impressive with a small bathtub and standup shower designed for one. The pool was beautiful with nice lounge chairs and plenty of space around the property. We were disappointed that there was no jacuzzi/hot tub outdoors. We inquired and learned there was one inside the spa but would cost $10 to use so we opted not to do so.

The staff was exceptionally friendly, the food was good but overpriced as typical for Marriott properties.

It took about an hour and a half to get here via private shuttle from San Jose airport which cost about $110 but we did not do very good transportation research prior to the trip. We also went into the town of Jaco one night and took a cab for $13/way and about 10 minute ride.

From the Husband - The waitstaff and employees of the Los Suenos Marriott hotel were awesome, very friendly and willing to go out of their way for our every whim. Everyone was wearing their smiles. As we are still in Costa Rica right now, I've found this true customer first attitude to be superfluous, at least in the tourist-centric regions of the country. The lack of a hot tub outside was my second biggest let-down.

I am a 10 handicap. First of all, let me say that the golf course layout and slope is clearly indicative of a championship style course. The bunker placement is diabolical, and hazards are well defined and difficult to avoid, especially off of the tee box. At that, I will concede that the Iguana golf course was in generally poor, to unplayable condition. There was times when I couldn't tell where the rough began and where the fairway ended. I had to search several times for my ball in the middle of the fairway in high grass. I understand that my visit was in the rainy season and that it is difficult to mow at that time, but geez. The greens were similar to putting in short st. Augustine in my front yard. Slow is not the word. I know of at least 10 golf courses within a 20 mile radius of my home in Houston Texas that are well manicured and playable even when it's wet. The design of the course gets 4/5 stars and the condition earns 1/5, if that. My best advice is to try it out in the dry season, with reviews posted to trip advisor.

Room Tip: Room 427 has the best view in the house, overlooking the bay with a gorgeous view of mountainous for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
Hotel Villa Caletas
#1 of 40 in Jaco
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!