“We loved the resort, but wish we had rented a condo instead!”

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is very beautiful, don't get me wrong - but we did feel a little bit jealous of the couples we spotted coming out of the private condo areas that are near the Marriott. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we did think to ourselves that extra little bit of seclusion might have been more romantic for us. That said, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous and the whole resort is just amazing!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean. It's worth every penny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SusanAndBobBurnet
Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for the second time and absolutely love it. We always come during their slow season in September and October. The resort was empty, quiet and the service was the best.
Our room overlooked the pool and the ocean and had a balcony that was great for sipping
a morning coffee or having a night cap after a busy day. Food is delicious but expensive if you don't have the all inclusive which I highly suggest! the tours are fun and the spa services very relaxing. If you eat or have a drink at the bar, Fabian is extremely professional and helpful! If you go to the swim up bar, Karol and Keytlen are the best. Tell them Debi & Nick say hello!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a balcony. It's worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dnudnk
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights on my Marriott points in July and wow, the hotel, staff, food, pool, golf, etc. are one of the best I experienced in Costa Rica. Only few minutes away from busy Jaco for other bars/restaurants/shops, but unlike in town, it is very quiet. The room I stayed was a King room. It was spacious, foam pillows, mattress was very good, clean, and had a great view of the ocean.
My only complain there was I really didn't want to leave after my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here the first 2 nights of our honeymoon in September 2013. I chose this place because we are Marriott rewards junkies and because my husband loves to golf so I wanted to fit that into our schedule. We ended up getting a great rainy season deal of $129/night which included a great buffet breakfast.

Upon our arrival, we were pleasantly welcomed with an upgraded room when we told the front desk it was our honeymoon. We had a lovely balcony with a view of the pool and beach. The room was nice but the bathroom was nothing impressive with a small bathtub and standup shower designed for one. The pool was beautiful with nice lounge chairs and plenty of space around the property. We were disappointed that there was no jacuzzi/hot tub outdoors. We inquired and learned there was one inside the spa but would cost $10 to use so we opted not to do so.

The staff was exceptionally friendly, the food was good but overpriced as typical for Marriott properties.

It took about an hour and a half to get here via private shuttle from San Jose airport which cost about $110 but we did not do very good transportation research prior to the trip. We also went into the town of Jaco one night and took a cab for $13/way and about 10 minute ride.

From the Husband - The waitstaff and employees of the Los Suenos Marriott hotel were awesome, very friendly and willing to go out of their way for our every whim. Everyone was wearing their smiles. As we are still in Costa Rica right now, I've found this true customer first attitude to be superfluous, at least in the tourist-centric regions of the country. The lack of a hot tub outside was my second biggest let-down.

I am a 10 handicap. First of all, let me say that the golf course layout and slope is clearly indicative of a championship style course. The bunker placement is diabolical, and hazards are well defined and difficult to avoid, especially off of the tee box. At that, I will concede that the Iguana golf course was in generally poor, to unplayable condition. There was times when I couldn't tell where the rough began and where the fairway ended. I had to search several times for my ball in the middle of the fairway in high grass. I understand that my visit was in the rainy season and that it is difficult to mow at that time, but geez. The greens were similar to putting in short st. Augustine in my front yard. Slow is not the word. I know of at least 10 golf courses within a 20 mile radius of my home in Houston Texas that are well manicured and playable even when it's wet. The design of the course gets 4/5 stars and the condition earns 1/5, if that. My best advice is to try it out in the dry season, with reviews posted to trip advisor.

Room Tip: Room 427 has the best view in the house, overlooking the bay with a gorgeous view of mountainous for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed a very relaxing stay here in mid-October when the hotel occupancy couldn't hae been more than 30%. Friendly, helpful, and ready to please staff in a first rate physical facility. Food was above average and wait staff excellent. My only rub was with the National car rental agency on the hotel grounds; get it in writing.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 504Gene
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the nicest Marriott facility I have stayed in. Being a rewards member I found this to be a very exciting location which allowed me access to many of the surrounding sites. Close to shopping and restaurants in Jaco, large beautiful pool, Manuel Antonio National Park, zip lining etc. Only thing I would change is the time I visited since it was the rainy season and probably even nicer other times. Prices for things to do in Costa Rica can tend to be pricey so I recommend hiring a local driver and have them take you around the area to enjoy the local fare. Service at the hotel from the staff was courteous and friendly no matter where you were on the resort.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank dave c
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location was good. Hotel was nice. Service was lacking and slow. Food was ok, not really good though. Avg assistance with gluten free diet. Had reservation in advance. Since we were arriving at 5 am we got the reservation for the night before so we could enjoy the resort all day and not wait til 4pm check in...as per their instructions. When we arrived in the morning they had cancelled our reservation since we were "no shows" from the day before. Definitely would not stay there again. Food was better and cheaper in town. Worth the 5 min drive.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
Hotel Villa Caletas
#1 of 40 in Jaco
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!