“Beautiful Grounds, Fisherman's Paradise, Beach lackluster”

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Marriott Los Suenos is a sprawling resort with impeccable grounds. I really did get that tropical feeling walking around. The rooms were well appointed and the pool was really incredible.

Now, if you are looking for a beach vacation, this is not the place for you. The water and sand are not nice. I think that is why the resort has invested so much in the pools. The pool scene was nice, service was friendly and attentive.

The real draw here is the fishing. We chartered a boat for half a day, and set off right from the marina. We didn't catch much, but being on the ocean was very nice and made for a very relaxing day.

This place is very tropical, but it is a Marriott resort and sometimes I felt like I was in Florida rather than a foreign country. Costa Rica is beautiful, but this resort caters to Americans who do not want to be far away from the comforts of home. If that's what you want from a resort in a foreign country then this is the place for you. For me, I like a little more local flavor.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jbhubba

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week. We had an ocean view room near the reception area. Free public area Internet came into the room. Breakfast buffet was very good. Good selection of local and western food items. Rooms were clean but smell of humid weather Wes on the bedding. Sitting on the balcony in the mornings and evenings was nice. Nice beach to walk on but dirty for swimming. Booked tours through Tiko travel on the beach- good service and prices. We ate meals at the marina restaurants as they had more selection and better prices. East to get taxis to Jaco- cost about $12. ATM here charge extra $5 to withdraw funds. Gift shop at the resort had good quality and prices for suveniers. Overall I think this is the best hotel to stay in this area.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank 314pi
Diana D, General Manager at Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! It's true our breakfast is the best. We loved to read that you had a great time in our resort! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

All of the hotel staff were always extremely friendly and helpful.

The grounds of the hotel were beautifully kept. I'd say that the grounds were about average for a resort at this price point. The pool is great and super clean. There are iguanas all over the hotel property - including around the pool. As some other reviewers have mentioned, the beach is not fantastic. I wouldn't recommend coming here if you're looking for a beautiful beach to sit on all day. They do have a million deck chairs around the pool and in the grassy area in between the pool and the beach. There, you can get a spot looking out at the water or the pool area and can sit in the sun or under the shade of a tree. Despite the fact that the hotel was sold out, there were always plenty of chairs around the pool. In no part of the hotel would you really know that the hotel was booked solid. They make you check out towels at the pool area. It wouldn't be a big deal but the check-out stand isn't in a convenient area.

There is no air conditioning in the lobby area, elevators, stairwells, or halls - so these areas can be quite warm. There was a wedding at the hotel when we were there. They held the ceremony in the lobby. It was beautiful, but if you're considering this keep in mind that everyone going in or out of the lobby will be walking by and gawking at your wedding. Also, remember, there's no air conditioning in the lobby.

We went to the casino. They don't play regular black jack there (the rules are slightly different - as you only get even money when you get black jack). They no longer have craps tables. The casino is very small (smaller than a cruise ship). Some people brought prostitutes to play at the casino. The drinks are not free at the casino.

We went to the spa and got a "well being massage." I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the time is spent sloughing your skin with a brush. The massage part was more of a very gentle touching. Pictures of the spa show people sitting in a hot tub drinking wine... but there was no wine to be had.

We rented a car. I would recommend this if you're interested in eating locally instead of at the hotel. Just make sure you bring your passport along with you. We were stopped by police who were doing immigration checks in Jaco. If you just want to eat at the hotel all of the time, you probably won't need a car - most of the companies offering tours/excursions will come pick you up at the hotel. We only ate at the hotel and the restaurants at the Marina a handful of times and it's been so long I can't remember anything to mention about the on-site restaurants.

We didn't book any excursions through the hotel so I can't comment on their services. We booked through Piko online before we left.

The hotel isn't really in walking distance to anything other than the Marina. That makes the hotel a perfect place if you really want to get away from everything and just relax. However, there's plenty close by if you want to get out and do something exciting. We went horseback riding, took a boat out to an island and went snorkeling, and went to the Manuel Antonio Park.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hoyalawyer
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We are actually still at the hotel just thought I would write a review while its very fresh in my mind. We chose this location because our son is staying with family on the Los Suenos property. The hotel is very nice and clean. It is in need of some updating in the furniture in the rooms but it has been well kept. The hotel staff are nice. I compare staying here to a large cruise ship. Many many people and the staff only know you by room. Not very personnel experience but this is a large cruise ship! I would highly recommend getting the breakfast buffet with the rate. It is delicious and we could go until dinner to eat another meal. They have this low fat yogurt parfait with honey on the bottom and cut up fruit- so good! The pool area is very big but we got our chairs before we eat breakfast. Again we felt like a number when we had to get towels and then return them at the end of the day so we don't get charged. The grounds were amazingly beautiful all over Los Suenos and I loved that it was a gated community. You must go to Jaco and eat at Taco Bar and I love sushi. The food at the hotel was better then expected but we had a car so we ate out in Jaco every night or at the marina. Much cheaper. The super market up the street is much less money and has great stuff.

We have a suite and there is no one on one side of us (room 346) and we wake up to the sound of the ocean! It's very quite. Get this room and the view is great. Because I can hear through the other room in our suite our neighbors conversation.

We also booked our own tours and loved them. Discovery horse tours- amazing!
We did not bother with the little casino and we got a deep tissue message today. It was just ok. I am more relaxed but it felt like a regular massage. Don't waste your money in the spa. The workout room is nice but the best thing is when the lady brings me an ice cold towel while I am working out. I don't even get that at the Four Seasons! Many places give you a discount for cash. Find an ATM bc you get a better rate of exchange. There's one at the Marina or up next to Subway.

Overall it is a very nice hotel and we are enjoying our stay ( we have no kids so of course we are)! The staff is nice And the hotel is clean but there are many people who stay here so this isn't a boutique hotel and the customer service shows this.

Room Tip: Get a room on the end and with an ocean view. Also get the breakfast buffet included in room rate.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank shbkatz

Thank you!! We appreciate your feedback! Hope you enjoy our fireworks on the 4th of July!!
We will used your review to improve our service. Regards!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

At the end of our vacations we like to find a spot to relax in. For our recent trip to Costa Rica and one in 2005, Los Suenos was that spot. The pool, grounds, and golf course is a 9.5 out of 10. The staff was always courteous and professional. Food was good, but breakfast was excellent.

BUT you pay for it. weak $10 drinks sure have a way of adding up. Dont touch anything in the mini bar and definitely buy your bottled water in town to save the 1000% markup. $7 for a bottle of water? Really?

We know not to book any offsite excursions through them and did our own thing each day.

Along with the rest of Costa RIca the value is no longer there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mattb99
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Staying with my bride of 26 yrs. The pools are great with play areas for the kids, but secluded areas to get away from everyone. Nice open air lobby balcony with bar service available...a/c inside if you want. Same set up downstairs with one of the 4 or 5 restaurants that are on site. Beautiful view of the surrounding mountains, huge marina across the bay and a small island on the other side of the bay.
Casino and golf course on the campus, but we didn't try those...looks nice though. Prices typical of a Marriott resort....very high for Costa Rica, but normal for Marriott at this level. The cleanliness was at the high Marriott standard.
I did find that you could hear noise from the room next door...could be poor design or just loud kids. The lobby area is open air and a great place to sit and read a book or just connect in conversation.
We would highly recommend it, if you have the discretionary $'s.

Room Tip: We liked the room facing the ocean on the 1st floor. They have a full patio in front with a hammock...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trvlwannab
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had a double room w/balcony. It was completely pleasant. Huge pool and pool area. You can find your perfect spot to park and relax. Nice variety of restaurants. Typical Marriott customer service -- which I think is very good. As a Platinum, I got the typical Platinum amenities. Except for cab rides into Jaco ($16) -- local cabs will take you back for $10 -- I booked zip lining and surfing through other sources. By doing so I think I got some more interesting outcomes and paid -- probably -- about 25% less. I didn't use either the golf course or tennis courts, so can't comment on them. Was there 1st week of June and thought rates were very reasonable.

Room Tip: The balcony room was nice. I can't imagine having a room that didn't face the water.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rw939
Diana D, General Manager at Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to write about your experience! Your feedback is very valuable ! We hope to see you soon and show you and your family our great Rainforest Golf Course!
Warm Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
Hotel Villa Caletas
#2 of 3 in Punta Leona
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!