Hotel is nice, pools are good, beach is nice (volcanic black sand and pebbles like most of the area) and people are pleasant. However, in my opinion you might as well be in any beach resort in Florida as there is pretty much nothing about this place that says Costa Rica. Costa Rica is beautiful and amazing and I have visited 5 times now. We didn't have any intention of staying in a Marriott as we would much prefer a beach home from VRBO but we won a charity auction. In my opinion, this place is everything that is wrong with the mega resorts that come in to a beautiful place when it starts getting popular and ruin it... however that is is a rant for a different forum.
My chief complaint here is the cost of everything. The beach club has signs everywhere that said Thanksgiving dinner for $24.95. I called to book and confirmed the price but after dinner was charged $45 a head and 1/2 price for the kids. A cheap bottle of wine that cost $10 at the local 'mini super' was $50 here. A bottle of sparkling water was $16. The buffet was really average at best. I was then told that the beach club is separate from the hotel and they don't know about the $24.95 deal, which is not what the person I booked with said.
The hotel is in the Los Suenos resort with what looks like a beautiful golf course but on enquiring about a round, I found out it was $160 + $60 to rent clubs. Seems like you should get some sort of a deal on that but no chance. Not even the Wifi is free.
Down the road in the resort, is the marina with some other restaurants. I didn't realize this is all separate from the Marriott, however again these places are outrageous. A small provisioning store called Jimmy T's, where we bought some chips, paper towels and 1/2 and 1/2 for coffee that somehow cost us $35.
The area is really sanitized. No bugs, which is nice I guess but also in a whole week, we didn't see any monkeys, Sloths, Macaws or other Costa Rican wildlife that is abundant everywhere else.
There are some really nice little locally owned bars down on the beach outside of the resort, that are really good. I had some of the best ceviche I have every had and a whole afternoon of amazing food and drink for 4 of us cost $50. That is more like the real Costa Rica.
So overall this place and everything within Los Suenos is a complete riff off and there are much nicer areas in Costa Rica to visit. If money is no object and you are happy with just a luxury hotel stay then this place is fine. However, if you want to see and experience Costa Rica, do yourself a favor and avoid these big resorts and stay in Manual Antonio (70 km down the road) and rent a nice beach house on VRBO or stay in a small boutique hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recognized by Travel & Leisure magazine readers as one of the "World's Best," the Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort is a luxury Costa Rica resort hotel nestled between the warm waters of the Pacific and a 1,100 acre tropical rainforest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean And Golf Resort
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Hotel Herradura
- Marriott Los Suenos Ocean Hotel
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort Costa Rica/Herradura