“Very Pleasant Place for Families”

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
Trinity, Fl
“Very Pleasant Place for Families”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My family and I just returned from vacation in Costa Rica, and I miss it already. The hotel is beautiful. We initially had an oceanfront room, but it only had a juliet balcony and was way too small for a family of 4. We upgraded to the Presidential Suite, and it was absolutely gorgeous! We were very happy we did that!

The pool area and restaurants were fantastic, but extraordinarily over-priced with an extremely limited kids menu (especially if you have a picky kid). We had the all-inclusive package, so we had already covered the food/drink costs, but it still was impressive to be "charged" $100 for breakfast.

I am very well aware that most people do not ready reviews only to know how beautiful a place is, they also want tips, so here are some tips for the hotel and the Jaco area.

1. Know some Spanish, bring someone who speaks Spanish, or meet someone there who speaks English very quickly. Sounds stupid, I know, but Costa Rica is NOT Mexico where everyone in tourist areas speak English. Most people do not speak English at all, and most of the other people have very limited English. It was not a problem for us since I am bilingual, but I saw a large number of people struggling. Even at the hotel there were a limited number of people who spoke English well.

2. Do NOT NOT NOT buy your tours from the hotel. They charge double and sometimes triple what you would pay if you arranged it yourself, or better yet go meet "the guy on the beach". His name is Piko and he owns Piko's Tours (he has a website). For instance, the hotel charges $300 for airport transfers, where he charged us only $100. I am not advertising for him, but I have to tell you that we were very happy we met him and even happier with the tours he arranged for us. You can look him up on trip advisor as well.

3. The kid's club at the hotel is fantastic. Marcos, Maroly, and Leonardo were fantastic with the kids. I could barely keep my kids out of the club.

4. The bar staff around the pool was awesome. Within a day they knew all of our names (including the kids). Wendy Irias was by far our favorite person in the hotel. She went out of her way to be accommodating. She always had a smile and was truly happy every time we saw her.

5. Almost everything is negotiable. Always ask for the best price and do not accept the first price they give you.

Enjoy yourself!! I hope this review was helpful!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
rutherford new jerser
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed at the marriott Los suenos 15 times in the past three and half years. This is if not thee than close to the best marriott resorts in the world. the staff is amazing. The food always fresh produce, fresh fish of the day, a gem of a facility if you enjoy spanish architecture, world class spa facility.You can not be disappointed here.
The last stay had some surprises such as 63 scarlet macaws come in one afternoon and color the sky and trees.This is one of the best managed hotels I have ever stayed hence I keep coming back.
The beach is black sand so it is not punta cana white sand beaches nor the beautiful pink sand becahes of bermuda or harbor island bahamas but you will enjoy yourself.Great palce to jet ski

Room Tip: face teh ocean third floor or higher.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We have stayed at this comfortable resort a few times in the past year. The standard rooms are nice, but are basic rooms. We have stayed at a suite once and it is definitely a very nice upgrade with a large bathroom with a soaking tub. The property amenities include Marriott resort basics such as a sprawling kid-friendly pool, a very nice golf course, lighted tennis courts, a few decent restaurants, a spa and a casino on some nights.

Some things to keep in mind is that the food and drink here at the resort is expensive (although food portions are plenty) but in-line with what you should expect at a resort of this high quality. Also, the beach here leaves a lot to be desired - don't expect the iconic white sand Costa Rica beaches here. The nightlife at the resort itself is quite limited so if you're looking for an active bar scene or a dance club or that sort of thing - you'll have to cab it to Jaco - not even 10 min. away.

The service and friendliness of this resort has improved greatly in the past year that we've been coming here. We have received prompt and solid service.

A suggestion - there are sites to visit about an hour down the coast from this resort and so this resort can serve as an excellent "home base" to visit those places.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bt_mpls_traveler
Waterloo, Michigan
Reviewed June 4, 2012

...after staying 6 nights at the JW Marriott in Hacienda Pinilla, this was absolutely the wrong choice. The only redeeming quality about this property is the lobby. Beautiful lobby, but no one really hangs out in the lobby. The Room was filthy, the mattress smelled like urine, the tiles are stained and filthy, and there is just dirt, stains and dust everywhere. The safe didnt' work, the bathroom was not clean and it just made you feel gross.
There is no beach! in Costa Rica...no beach! It is a black, dirty sand that leads to black dirty water, and it feels like a beach in Florida or somewhere else, but NOT Costa Rica. The guests are drinkers, gamblers, and just not our type of crowd. The service was non-existent. We called 3 times to have our mini-bar cleaned out, and no one ever came. We had no blanked or comforter in our room and when we called they brought a feather bed, not a comforter, and this smelled like urine and still had no blanket for 3 days!
It was a huge disappointment after the beautiful photos on their website.
Food from the Pool bar was good.
Also, lots of iquana watching, and also had 2 gorgeous Macaw's our first day there.
We will not return to this property.

Room Tip: Room 104 was a nice garden room with a view of the water...no security though as the other rooms had...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmyNStiers
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed here in August of 2011, and the stay was overall a great one: the staff was hospitable, the food was fantastic, and it was extremely relaxing.

The only thing I would change is the nightlife. The hotel is extremely isolated, and there is virtually nothing to do in the evenings, except gamble at their casino.

I would also recommend the all-inclusive package because things add up, especially if you dine in a lot. If you do all-inclusive, you are able to enjoy drinks at the swim up bar, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all of which were very delicious.

The view of the beach is beautiful, especially at sunset. However, the sand/ water aren't what you would expect of a typical Costa Rican beach.

Overall a great stay and worth your money!

Room Tip: There is a charge to get a room facing the ocean, but it is worth it, even if it's for one night...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hotelie362
NYC
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We visited the Marriott for seven days in May 2012 for our honeymoon and we thoroughly enjoyed our stayed.

Rooms: We had a room on the first floor with a nice size patio, hammock and table & chairs. The room had a mini fridge, bar area, huge closet and safe. The TV has US (California) and CR channels. Housekeeping came multiple times a day to make sure everything was okay. In the morning they would clean and in the evening they would do turn down service with chocolates.

Pool: Huge, warm, clean and open 7am-11pm. The pool bar has food & drinks from $2900 colanes and up ($1 = 500 colanes). You just give your room number and they charge you.

Lobby Bar: 2 for 1 drinks in the evening but the food is very overpriced. I almost ordered the calamari before my husband pointed out it was $23. The table next to us ordered it and was over battered so I'm glad I skipped that! Overall the food is overpriced and not worth it. However, this the norm at most marriotts so I would just caution to expect the prices.

La Vista (Breakfast & Dinner): The breakfast buffet is $22pp or you can order A La Carte. The menu includes continental, American, Omelettes, bagels, etc and all meals come with complimentary coffee (excellent!!) and orange juice.

Marina: If you walk to the right of the pool, there is a promenade that takes you to various shops, a bank, restaurants, disco, and food store. We ended up eating there at least once a day due to the lovely views of the ocean and boats and cheaper food. There is a casual bar/restaurant (The Hookup), italian, sushi, coffee shop, and outdoor restaurant that serves a bit of everything.

Plaza Herradura: ~ a 5 minute drive outside of the resort with a Pizza Hut, Subway, bank, and grocery store. Since the room had a mini fridge, we stocked up on beer and snacks from the store. The staff doesn't mind if you bring your own food and drink to the pool/beach area. If you pay by credit card, remember to bring your ID!

Getting There: If you decide to rent a car from the airpot (San Jose), make sure you rent the GPS! Although google maps or map quest show a very direct route, there are many turns that are not shown. There is no way you can find the hotel without one. Also, it is totally worth it to have a car to drive to the supermarket, sites, and other towns. We drove to most site seeing spots on our own and saved $100+ per day and got to bring our own lunch and time our day according to how we felt. Some sites are 11-12 hours or require a minimum amount of people to go.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have lovely balconies and easy access to the pools.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank c0c0la
Costa Rica
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I went to the Marriott hotel for a long weekend with my family to celebrate my bday. I am costa rican, so its a short drive from San Jose, and in my opinion the best option if you want to be close to the city.

I chose it because is the most child friendly hotel in the area, but i feel it still can offer more and be more child aware. It has a very small children´s pool, that at least during our visit, was very full, so we ended up on the adult pool. I was however a bit shocked about the menus. They have children menus but they are huge in size and not very healthy. I ended up just ordering food for myself and sharing with my baby. I think they should work this thing a bit more. I was also surprised that although they offer cribs for kids, they do not have blankets for cribs, we we ended up using a towel. They did offer a normal bedsize blanket, but we thought it would be too big for it. So its just small details that if you are traveling with kids do make a difference.

The hotel is very nice, and I like that they have the marina with restaurants and that you can walk to it. That is very important specially because the hotel has different restaurants but they were not all open, so the food options were in my opinion a bit limited.

The services is very good, specially at the restaurant. Carlos, the Restaurant Manager is such a nice person and really tries to make you feel at home. The service at the pool is average, it really just depended on the person that had the shift, some were very good, some we never even met. I was however a bit shocked that many things on the pool menu were not available... As i guest I would like to have more options.

The rooms are nice, comfortable, but room service finishes up very late, so on several occasions we would be back in our room at 3pm and the room was not done. I understand them that they have until 4pm to do it, but i do no like it.

If you are looking for a long weekend just to relax, i think this is a good hotel, however, beware that is very boring at night. After 9pm is quiet and empty. If on the other hand you are looking for a hotel to do activities and get to know the costarican beauty and nature, i would not recommend it as I feel is more an american hotel in CR grounds than an authentic Costarican hotel. But, its a nice one and we had a good time.

Room Tip: The suite is very nice and spacious, but its right in the middle so its not that quiet. you can hear...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank adrialvarez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
Villa Caletas
#1 of 2 in Punta Leona
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!