My family and I just returned from vacation in Costa Rica, and I miss it already. The hotel is beautiful. We initially had an oceanfront room, but it only had a juliet balcony and was way too small for a family of 4. We upgraded to the Presidential Suite, and it was absolutely gorgeous! We were very happy we did that!
The pool area and restaurants were fantastic, but extraordinarily over-priced with an extremely limited kids menu (especially if you have a picky kid). We had the all-inclusive package, so we had already covered the food/drink costs, but it still was impressive to be "charged" $100 for breakfast.
I am very well aware that most people do not ready reviews only to know how beautiful a place is, they also want tips, so here are some tips for the hotel and the Jaco area.
1. Know some Spanish, bring someone who speaks Spanish, or meet someone there who speaks English very quickly. Sounds stupid, I know, but Costa Rica is NOT Mexico where everyone in tourist areas speak English. Most people do not speak English at all, and most of the other people have very limited English. It was not a problem for us since I am bilingual, but I saw a large number of people struggling. Even at the hotel there were a limited number of people who spoke English well.
2. Do NOT NOT NOT buy your tours from the hotel. They charge double and sometimes triple what you would pay if you arranged it yourself, or better yet go meet "the guy on the beach". His name is Piko and he owns Piko's Tours (he has a website). For instance, the hotel charges $300 for airport transfers, where he charged us only $100. I am not advertising for him, but I have to tell you that we were very happy we met him and even happier with the tours he arranged for us. You can look him up on trip advisor as well.
3. The kid's club at the hotel is fantastic. Marcos, Maroly, and Leonardo were fantastic with the kids. I could barely keep my kids out of the club.
4. The bar staff around the pool was awesome. Within a day they knew all of our names (including the kids). Wendy Irias was by far our favorite person in the hotel. She went out of her way to be accommodating. She always had a smile and was truly happy every time we saw her.
5. Almost everything is negotiable. Always ask for the best price and do not accept the first price they give you.
Enjoy yourself!! I hope this review was helpful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recognized by Travel & Leisure magazine readers as one of the "World's Best," the Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort is a luxury Costa Rica resort hotel nestled between the warm waters of the Pacific and a 1,100 acre tropical rainforest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Hotel Herradura
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean And Golf Resort
- Marriott Los Suenos Ocean Hotel
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort Costa Rica/Herradura